Speculation: Aaron Cresswell (Ipswich)

FamousHolteUnion

maybe plan is Lowton, Cresswell, Lichaj and Herd competing for 2 full back spots? There'd be a lack of experience, but it sounds more promising that just being stuck with Hutton and Warnock week-in week-out, who are very experienced at being crap. These youngsters are players who should be driven to put in performances, retain their place in the team & prove themselves, and there are certainly precedents in the premier league that these players can look to follow - e.g. Kyle Walker, Leighton Baines.

You'd worry if we were in a relegation battle & those were the options at full-back, but hopefully we will stay out of that kind of trouble this season and this kind of strategy seems sensible - even if only 1 of those players became established long-term, it'd be a successful strategy.

maybe plan is Lowton, Cresswell, Lichaj and Herd competing for 2 full back spots? There'd be a lack of experience, but it sounds more promising that just being stuck with Hutton and Warnock week-in week-out, who are very experienced at being crap.
:D This.

I personally do not think Herd or Lichaj are good enough to be first choice full backs. Would live to be proven wrong but I don't feel that excitement about our youngsters as I did when I first saw Gary Cahill. You could just tell he had something special and since then it's probably only Clark who has that something about him. Again would love to be proven wrong and hope they all make it.

Another cheap, underwhelming signing if it happens.

Get used to it. Lambert had a rule at Norwich he would only sign hungry players from a league below rather than pay larger amounts for "proven" players.

It worked out very well for him and I expect to see him do the same for us.

It wouldnt surprise me or worry me if we never signed another PL player under Lambert. Clearly he sees better value in lower leagues or foreign ones.

Maybe he will be mistaken but my guess is it will work out very well.

Everything that's wrong with modern football fans here.

Ha! I've been watching Villa for more than 35 years. Seen it all before, mate. We're skint and we're aiming low. Dress it up as much as you like, but we're shopping at Aldi theses days.

Everything that's wrong with modern football fans here.

Ha! I've been watching Villa for more than 35 years. Seen it all before, mate. We're skint and we're aiming low. Dress it up as much as you like, but we're shopping at Aldi theses days.

Better than over spending at Marks and Sparks IMO

From here:

Aston Villa poised to make bid for Aaron Cresswell but Ipswich Town want around £6million

By Dave Gooderham Tuesday, July 24, 2012

11:55 PM

ASTON Villa are preparing a bid for Ipswich Town Player of the Year Aaron Cresswell.

But we understand the Blues have put a price tag of around £6million on the left-back following his sensational first season at Portman Road.

The 22-year-old was a relative unknown when he became one of Paul Jewell’s first summer signings last year.

But his consistent performances and ability at both ends of the pitch made Cresswell one of the first names on Jewell’s team-sheet.

His first season saw the Liverpudlian crowned player of the year by the official supporters club and it didn’t go unnoticed with Premier League scouts.

We understand sleeping giants Villa have shown interest in Cresswell since the end of last season – with their new boss, and ex-Norwich City manager, Paul Lambert among those aware of the full- back’s huge promise.

No bid has yet been made but Jewell has always maintained he is not expecting to sell any players and, more importantly, he is under no financial pressure to do so.

Cresswell signed for the Blues last July with a tribunal later setting the fee at £240,000, possibly rising to £520,000.

That figure quickly looked a snip as Cresswell’s performances rarely waned during a tumultuous 2011/12.

He missed just two competitive matches all season and Jewell will only sanction a move if Town made an exceptional profit on the former Tranmere defender.

The manager has always insisted every player has his price but it is clear that it would take a massive offer for Jewell to even contemplate selling a prized asset.

Sounds like they might price him out of a move which would be shame for the player more than anybody else. Saying that could a league 1 team really turn down 3.5M or there abouts? No chance.

Â