Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Backing him to score next weekend at CIty. Another top performance today.

Also he never touched Scholes (need to see it again but at the time I could see nothing wrong with it) so we should have been one up earlier.

Nice Interview and article on Ireland

When Stephen Ireland was named Player of the Year by Aston Villa's last season, the cynics were quick to suggest the award had been bestowed with more than a hint of sarcasm attached. Having played a full 90 minutes in just eleven Premier League games when he was crowned as Villa's star man of the term, the suspicion was that some supporters had voted for the Irishman in a bid to highlight the lack of credible candidates for the award amid what had been a desperately disappointing season for the Midlands giants.

Even Ireland was forced to concede he was surprised to be nominated for an accolade normally reserved for players who have shown sparkling form over many a long month, yet he is emerging as a strong contender to hang onto his title as Villa's star man after an impressive start to the season under the watch of new boss Paul Lambert.

The now departed Villa manager's Gerard Houllier and Alex McLeish were reluctant to put their faith in Ireland's talents, but he suggests the arrival of Paul Lambert has changed the atmosphere at Villa Park for the better.

"It's only now I'm pretty much getting a fair crack at things at Villa," begins Ireland, who turned in another impressive display in Saturday's 3-2 defeat against Manchester United. "It shouldn't have taken me three seasons to get into this position, but I'm getting a consistent run and it's my shirt to lose. I never had any problems with Alex McLeish, I like the guy, and I would be happy to work with him in the future. As it is, the new man came in last summer and from the first day till now it's been brilliant. He's done a really good job and is a really hands on manager.

"He's honest, straight, upfront and keeping everybody really hungry. You've got to work hard to get in the team. Everyone's chasing those places, but he's kept everyone involved. You can see a good future ahead for the players he has brought in and it is clear that the supporters are happier this season. The atmosphere hasn't been great for a while, but I feel they're appreciating the way we're going about things. They're excited about the way we're playing. And it helps an awful lot to have the fans behind you.

"We're being encouraged to play football, we're winning or losing in style. Probably not good to lose, of course, but at least we're having a go, playing attractive football and we are only a few minor details away from a good side."

Injuries and dips in form have stalled Ireland's career in recent years, with his star apparently permanently waning after he shot to prominence as the focal point of the Manchester City team at the start of their rise up the Premier League. Back in the day, he was the darling of the City fans before their club was transformed by the Arabian millions that have propelled them into the stratosphere, yet it seems as if the sands of time have brought maturity to a player who is relishing his role as an experienced member of a youthful Villa line-up.

The role handed to Ireland in Lambert's first few weeks as Villa boss has been pivotal, with a host of fresh faced youthful performers needing the influence of experienced players as they look to adapt to life in the Premier League.

"I like it when homegrown lads come through, especially if they deserve it and work hard to be where they are," states Ireland, who made a huge impression after breaking through the ranks at Manchester City in his formative years. "That was me at City now so long ago, learning from players like Richard Dunne, Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman.

"If a guy has to work really hard to get to where he is it's a nicer story to see someone come on and make their debut at a young age. Good management of the youth teams is reaping rewards at Villa and lads like Mark Albrighton, Ciaran Clark, Barry Bannan have all come through the academy and they're all really good players with long careers in the game. That is really important for the future of the club."

Rarely a footballer who has followed convention, Ireland relaxes away from the game by practicing a host of martial arts, with his fitness obsession being aided by his penchant for the odd kung-fu kick and judo throw.

"I do a couple of martial arts sessions a week and it's something I love doing," he says of his high-energy hobby. "I feel it helps me as a player, puts fire in the belly. It's a different sort of work out, rather than running, so it's a good hobby. I've got a lot of time on my hands. Some people play golf, I choose the martial arts. I do pretty much every area of combat you can think of. It comes easy enough to me as I'm naturally quite fit. I work hard in the gym. I enjoy it, but it's really important if you want to have a long career. I'd love to be playing for the next ten years."

Now 26, the midfielder whose reputation for being something of a troubled soul fuelled that tag when he opted to terminate his international career back in 2007, yet he appears to be maturing on and off the pitch. Few would have picked Ireland to emerge as a role model for youngsters in the days when he was capturing headlines for all the wrong reasons, but stability on and off the field finally seems to have tamed this gifted player. Once hailed as one of the best midfielders in the Premier League, Stephen Ireland has embarked on a mission to scale those heights all over again.

He's vital to our attacking play. These past couple of games, his passing was sometimes lacking but his perseverance to get it right was excellent. How many players in our team would you trust to make that 1 touch perfect through ball to Gabby for the second goal? Not many.

Just saw the lineup we put out for the Norwich game and have to say I think we look such a better side with Ireland/Bannan/Westwood/Weimann than with Holman/KEA/Delph/Albrighton. SO much more creativity.

Also he never touched Scholes (need to see it again but at the time I could see nothing wrong with it) so we should have been one up earlier.

He did touch scholes, it was a foul although scholes made the most of it.

For me one of the three players we must keep until the end of the season, the others being Given and Bent.

I've actually been impressed with Ireland's contribution since the start of Lambert's tenure. He is comfortable on the ball with great technique. The type of player that needs a friendly arm around him to get the best out of him and now with the right midfield combination we are starting to see him flourish. Not saying that there isn't room for improvement but the signs are good that we very well might see the player he was at Man City in our shirt.

I actually think he's playing for his Villa future at the moment as Lambert has shown he's not afraid to drop senior players if they're not performing. I wouldn't be too surprised that once our present squad found out who our new scout was they all upped their game. Just look at the improvement in Gabby for a start.

Ireland has always been a good player it just takes the right approach to get it out of him. Maybe Lambert has that approach? We'll see.

He did touch scholes, it was a foul although scholes made the most of it.

thought it was harsh myself, if was anywhere else on pitch he might have gotten away with the tackle but cause it left UNited exposed the referee pulled it up

At first I was fuming, absolutely convinced it was a bad call, but then I saw the replays. It was a foul.

was a little surprised to see him pulled yesterday. Thought he was one of our better players again.

I have been in agreement with pretty much all of Lambert's starting line ups to date - his substitutions do seem a little odd though. Bent coming on for Benteke in the Norwich game finally killed any chance we had in that game for us IMHO.

I do think, in the past few games, when he's been subbed, we've lost our shape in midfield.

agreed, saw this stat on twitter which gives weight to your argument "Villa have conceded only 6 goals with Stephen Ireland on the pitch in the 8 games he has played. Without him, Villa have conceded 16"

Not checked the accuracy but considering what happened at southampton and City, it could add up.

Not saying for a second this is the only reason we have conceded more, I acknowledge the timings of his substitutions and other factors but it is an indication of his value to the team.

"Villa have conceded only 6 goals with Stephen Ireland on the pitch in the 8 games he has played. Without him, Villa have conceded 16"

But how? He's so lazy? He's just an empty crisp packet floating around on a pitch...

/sarcasm

Â