Stephen Ireland

omariqy

I've been a big defender of Ireland but he was poor yesterday. Couldn't get himself into game. First half he was man marked by their number 20. He was making good runs and creating space for other people but just couldn't really get involved himself.

Is there another midfielder on the squad that could play the attacking role? Bannan and kea look settled deep, and Holman on the right. From what I hear Westwood is also more defensive, and nzog is well...nzog...if Gardner hadn't been injured could see him playing that role and making the runs beyond the strikers... So if Ireland continues poor form who would we look to replace him?

don't know why people are talking about his wages so much...

i don't think i have ever mentioned his wages in my criticising of him...

the key issue for me is that he has been a passenger more often than not for Villa...

unfortunately he plays in an absolutely KEY position in our team in terms of attacking play...

and he contributes nowhere near enough...

those fans who constantly say "he needs more clever players around him who are on the same wavelength as him"..

well were the players not clever enough yesterday?

coz according to reports they appeared to be

If Lambert can help SI get over it then we have the perfect player to work alongside KEA and Bannan in a midfield trio, but until then he will only really shine against lesser opposition.

So how do you explain his man of the match performance up at Newcastle then? I'd hardly call them "lesser" opposition.

So much rubbish is spouted about Stephen Ireland because of a number of reasons - too many than I care to go into. Yes, he has acted like a prat in the past. And, yes, he needs to be far more consistent for us.

But, you can tell he is trying to knuckle down more under Lambert, and his quality still shines through on occasions. What he needs is a regular run in the side now, which he is getting at the moment, to prove that he can produce performances like the one up at Newcastle on a regular basis. If he can, he will be one of the first names down on the teamsheet. Of that I have no doubt.

Have to admit, I stuck up numerous amount of times, didn't do anything to show me that he deserves 50k a week. Needs to up his performances.

How wonderful it is this season to able to say that if a player doesn't up his performances he can be dropped. Too many players strolled by last season, knowing that the manager would offer no reasonable alternate to them.

Last season if you were bad, you'd still be playing. Now we can take out players performing adequately because they're still not good enough.

It's a great turn around.

I know its a wonderful change :)

If Lambert can help SI get over it then we have the perfect player to work alongside KEA and Bannan in a midfield trio, but until then he will only really shine against lesser opposition.

So how do you explain his man of the match performance up at Newcastle then? I'd hardly call them "lesser" opposition.

So much rubbish is spouted about Stephen Ireland because of a number of reasons - too many than I care to go into. Yes, he has acted like a prat in the past. And, yes, he needs to be far more consistent for us.

But, you can tell he is trying to knuckle down more under Lambert, and his quality still shines through on occasions. What he needs is a regular run in the side now, which he is getting at the moment, to prove that he can produce performances like the one up at Newcastle on a regular basis. If he can, he will be one of the first names down on the teamsheet. Of that I have no doubt.

If your going to quote then quote the whole comment!

He may have been your MOM but he wasn't mine! To me it was clear that Holman was MOM against Newcastle. I personally think the billing Ireland gets that newcastle display should be the MINIMUM we expect! If he is our best player then he should be getting MOM's more than any other player, but really the only MOM he has this season is against Tranmere! That includes preseason as well! Your entitled to your opinion, but really Ireland is one of many good players at Villa and out of all of them he is the one capable of more, yet always plays within himself! It's clear his head isn't right to me.

Vlaar was MOTM yesterday for me, even though we were never under a huge amount of pressure.

Back to Ireland, though, no he probably isn't worth the wages but there we are, he is on them and I don't see anyone buying him (except maybe QPR). Not at his best yesterday but he's certainly worth his place in the team.

can't really fault his effort, but there's times he seems to just float around and not be able to get involved. also as our attacking mid and so called best creative player he needs to be making it count in the final third.

he had a great chance to slip in bent for a 1 on 1 yesterday, we broke with holman who fed ireland in the middle of the park. bent was all alone in between the centrebacks who were about 20 yards apart for some reason. all it needed was a quick straight throughball.

yet first of all ireland took too long on the ball, bent had to hold his run so was on his heels and a defender had more time to recover. then when the pass finally came it was too weak and angled too wide. it forced bent wider right towards the defender who was moving back inside.

ireland really has to start producing in terms of goals, assists etc. otherwise i think he could quickly find himself out the team

Disappointed by his performance yesterday, did ok. But this is in my opinion one of his poorer matches the past 6 months. His touches and passes seemed off, it usually isn't.

However, I thought the whole midfield looked a bit shaky yesterday. They all made quite similar mistakes, some more then others(And they were all brilliant at correcting them). I don't know if it's the nerves of playing at home. I think we've looked better away then at home the past year to be honest. Last time they played at home, they got booed of at half-time. Some might call it justified, but I believe it breeds pressure and nervousness. At times it might be a necessity though. I'm under the impression that they receive a hell of a lot more support away then what they do at home, however I'm just a balls-in-hand-feet-on-the-table-TV supporter. (Sorry for the digression)

As for Ireland's wages, as BJ10 said no one would say no to a good salary, questions should be raised the the administration at B6 and not the player for accepting a good contract.

If the reports of him being on 70k a week are true I completely understand why people expect more of him.

With some time and patience I think he'll meet peoples expectations(not everyone obviously). If not, he should be offloaded. I truly believe he can play a huge part in our team though.

Â