Music licensing. A Hendrix biopic w/out Hendrix music

BOF

The world we live in. Screw you, music industry, you horrible piece of sh*t.

Clickings

Movie About Jimi Hendrix... Won't Use Any Jimi Hendrix Music Due To Licensing Issues

Ah, the insanity of music licensing. There's apparently a biopic of Jimi Hendrix being made, starring Andre Benjamin (better known as Andre 3000 from Outkast) in the leading role. Of course, with a Hendrix biography, you'd think that the real star would be the music -- but in this case, there won't be any original Jimi Hendrix music in the entire movie, because Hendrix's estate has said that it won't license songs unless it has some sort of say in the production. The producers don't want that, so they didn't even ask to license the music. The film, instead, will make do with new versions of cover songs that Hendrix did along the way.

This is, in many ways, ridiculous. Part of the point of recording and retelling our cultural heritage is the use of the actual music that made it happen. Even the Hendrix estate finds the moviemakers' position confusing (though, it doesn't indicate if it would license the songs without creative say in the flick). Part of the problem is the ridiculous setup of music licensing today. You can do a cover song with compulsory licenses (i.e., without permission), but that's only for audio. Doing video gets you into sync licenses and other issues that require permission. And this is what you get in a society that locks up culture: a movie about Jimi Hendrix that features exactly none of his original music.

This movie is going to be shit. The Hendrix estate (petty though they undoubtedly can be) are probably quite right to put the stoppers on it.

There's a good film to be made here, this won't be it.

woke up , took some drugs , played my guitar , went to bed

repeat until aged 27 and then

woke up , took some drugs , played my guitar , went to bed ..didn't wake up

This movie is going to be shit. The Hendrix estate (petty though they undoubtedly can be) are probably quite right to put the stoppers on it.

How do you know the film is going to be shit? Assuming you didn't mean because it doesn't have the music in it.

I'm not being a dick by the way, that's a genuine question. Just curious

The Hendrix estate...

Squabbling graspers.

But they make the Marley estate look like the board of Enron

They don't come much greedier than the Bob Marley estate

The Hendrix estate...

Squabbling graspers.

I have no idea..

but the film makers are doing it to make money, no doubt. There is no right on their part to use Hendrix's music to make themselves money.

Rich Hall (that's a great link) is spot on.

Not a fan of music biopics at all

That is fantastic.

Rich Hall Hall did a documentary on how Hollywood portrays the south and it's brilliant . If you have never seen the whole thing then you should .

I have no idea..

Jimi died without a will. His Dad, Al, nailed it down after a long battle in the nineties.

When Al died there was a will, but people were written out - rows continue.

The film, instead, will make do with new versions of cover songs that Hendrix did along the way.

A Hendrix film that doesn't feature the first minute of All Along The Watchtower exactly as recorded by Hendrix will be like an Einstein film that doesn't mention relativity.

Do-able. But silly.

Maybe? How do the estate go about copyrighting someone else's music?

The film, instead, will make do with new versions of cover songs that Hendrix did along the way.

A Hendrix film that doesn't feature the first minute of All Along The Watchtower exactly as recorded by Hendrix will be like an Einstein film that doesn't mention relativity.

Do-able. But silly.

Maybe? How do the estate go about copyrighting someone else's music?

I'd guess that Hendrix's estate own the copyright to Hendrix's recording of it. Somehow Bob would get some rights or other, but the fact that he wrote it I doubt would give him much say in how Hendrix's recording of it gets used.

if they were greedy surely they'd tell the film makers to fill their boots and then see the impact of it on itunes

sounds to me like they just want to see a film that tells the world exactly what they want to be told rather than someone putting their cock on the block and making a film that claims he was secretly a drug addict or something

going OT towards something that no one wants to think about! i saw an article on the 50 shades of grey film, she sold the rights to the film based on her getting final say over everything, director, actors, script, the lot

Not a fan of music biopics at all

That is fantastic.

Rich Hall Hall did a documentary on how Hollywood portrays the south and it's brilliant . If you have never seen the whole thing then you should .

I have. It's excellent.

Â