Music licensing. A Hendrix biopic w/out Hendrix music

BOF

Not a fan of music biopics at all

That is fantastic.

Rich Hall Hall did a documentary on how Hollywood portrays the south and it's brilliant . If you have never seen the whole thing then you should .

I have. It's excellent.

What's it called?

No doubt it's so obscure I won't be able to find it, online or in the stores :(

Awesome Hendrix statue over here, close to his last UK festi appearance. Very popular with tourists.

Btw, got to blame both parties (producers and estate) for not being sensible or realistic.

A Hendrix film that doesn't feature the first minute of All Along The Watchtower exactly as recorded by Hendrix will be like an Einstein film that doesn't mention relativity.

Do-able. But silly.

That's not a Hendrix composition so they might be able to use that.

Edit - bin said.

Don`t the Elvis Presley estate do the same thing ? especially with Elvis impersanions ?

A friend of mine can sing Elvis songs so that you would not know the difference, but when he tried to be an Elvis impersonator the estate jumped in and said he had to be screened by them first or else legal action would follow.

A Hendrix film that doesn't feature the first minute of All Along The Watchtower exactly as recorded by Hendrix will be like an Einstein film that doesn't mention relativity.

Do-able. But silly.

That's not a Hendrix composition so they might be able to use that.

Edit - bin said.

Hendrix estate still own the mechanical copyright on any cover versions he did. A recorded piece of music has on the base level two copyrights (without going into the extra complications of video, format licensing etc). The larger part of copyright is the writing of music / words etc but underneath that there is a mechanical copyright too, i.e. the rights of the actual musicians involved in the performance. Typically anyone not "in the band" will have been paid a session fee that precludes them from any further rights but the artiste(s) themselves retain those rights to that performance. Mechanicals are nowhere near as lucrative financially but they do provide power in such circumstances as these.

Â