Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

Hopefully the club would pay no attention to what his relatives are tweeting.

As for Lowton himself, he has not been anywhere close to being the player he was last season, but hopefully he can turn it around.

If he has a problem, he needs to knuckle down and sort it out, as I am sure Lambert does not have infinite patience.

Such a shame if he cannot sort it, last season he looked like he was going to be a very good player for us.

Although I think Lowton can be a decent player on his day he is also very replaceable.

So I'm not too bothered how this plays out.

I don't know the whole story but if it was ever proved that he isn't prepared to commit himself geographically to play for the biggest club he will ever play for, then he really is small time and belongs in Chesterfield Blue.

I imagine there is more too it though.

Some real holier than thou shit going down right now.

I don't think so really. It may be a bit OTT, but people have a right to be annoyed by this.

Lowton showed last season he has the potential to be a very good RB and could certainly become a fan favourite, he already was a bit, especially after that goal. And this was one of the main reasons many on here were confused and disappointed by his absence early in the season. Now it's slowly trickling through that the cause of this is rifts with Lambert, secretly moving to Sheffield - ignoring club policy to live close to Brum -, and then showing up late for training - there may have been a crash, but he wouldn't even be on the M1 if he lived nearer to Brum -. And I wouldn't be surprised if you could throw little effort in training in there too.

All this because he can't live an hour away from Sheffield? If I was earning Premier League wages, hell even top end League 2 wages, I'd make an effort to obey club policy and move within 20 minutes of the club. It's not good enough.

People are annoyed because he's throwing away the opportunity to play Premier League, and for Villa, for years to come because he won't move to Brum, he needs to get a grip. But if he can't handle living far away from Sheffield, I'm sure we can sell him back to Sheff Utd in League 1.

People are annoyed about a rumour and have no idea behind the reasons why it may even have happened or how many times it has happened. Added to that they have no idea about club rules or his famliy circumstances and reasons for living away

Also your "If I was on premier league wages" is a bit holier than thou.

It's been reported that he was disciplined for turning up late to training, and his missus confirmed this on twitter and stated he had an excuse as there was a crash that he caused traffic he got stuck in. Not much digging can tell you this was probably probably the one on the M1, which indicates he is living north of Mansfield/Chesterfield. No, we don't know the exact club policy on where players should live, but this isn't the first time this issue has reared. It happened with Ireland and I think one or two other players two within the last couple seasons, including Lowton a few months ago. So I think it's safe to assume this is a rule at the club, but we don't know the specifics. So Lowton shouldn't have been caught up by this traffic.

It's not as if this is all about this one incident why people are getting upset, he's been crap all season and not really been showing much effort, so to now hear he's showing up late to training, and possibly breaking club policy in the process, is frustrating. Fans don't like to see when players seemingly throw away what they've got.

Maybe we are jumping to conclusions and Lambert is just really strict on when players show, no excuses, but I think it's extreme given Lowtons excuse.

As for my comment about wages, I don't see how saying I would move closer to BH if i was earning thousands per week shows a smug sense of moral superiority.

A massive amount of your post is conjecture.

You also mentioned you'd happily move 20 minutes away, thats great but that might not be the clubs policy either and while its easy for you to say that but you dont know Matts family circumstances are.

I also dont see where he hasnt put the effort in during games, for a RB that hasnt played much i'm sure he's already got 2 or 3 assists.

Very much one our best players last season, some have short memories.

• Like 2

So its ok to rant about him on here but not on twitter.

Think there is a difference between the discussion between us fans and directly sending messages to his family saying things like "I'm glad he was dropped he is shit." 

I also don't think anybody has short memories, many of us have said he was excellent last season and we'd love him to get back to that form. It is sad seeing things the way they are.

Edited by samjp26

He was disciplined for not moving nearer the ground this disobeying (sensible) club policy. He was then late for training for driving... From the place he's supposed to have moved from.

I can't really understand why he doesn't put a muzzle on the daft cow.

• Like 2

@mark_clopton @MarkPatton7 @sunnyr86 100% committed this has never come into question. He left his newborn at an hour old to play that day..

@MarkPatton7 @sunnyr86 completely agree. Just advisin people of the correct reason why he was late (once) since he signed for the club.

To clear up rumour.... Matt was late to trainin (ONCE) on friday due to a crash causing the motorway he was on to be closed! Nothin else

Edited by Villan4Life

The club let him attend birth of his child if i remember correctly, least got see birth... Thought most clubs rules was you play if selected unless it was something serious like member of family passing or something?

Edited by Villan4Life

I think a lot of clubs let their players go to the birth. I'm sure i have seen it used as a reason certain players have missed games in the past. 

Needs to up his form and if he is travelling from Sheffield every day surely that will have an effect. 

I'm not bothered if he is late, lives far away, whatever.......i just don't think he is a very good RB.Gives too many goals/chances away for me, not stong enough, or quick enough, not got the best positional play either.Good at crossing, and not bad going forward, but i like my defenders to be able to defend, and for me he can't.

• Like 2

Yeah I think that is normal. However the bigger issue if he was late from the place he is not supposed to stay, they already warned him about that. No sympathy here, if I could play at that level I would do literally everything to continue.

• Like 1

I'm not bothered if he is late, lives far away, whatever.......i just don't think he is a very good RB.Gives too many goals/chances away for me, not stong enough, or quick enough, not got the best positional play either.Good at crossing, and not bad going forward, but i like my defenders to be able to defend, and for me he can't.

For all I care, he could commute back and forth from Kuala Lumpur and spend all his spare time tied up in a gimp suit whilst his missus shoves a toilet brush up his bum, just as long as he got the business done on the pitch.  

Which, crucially, he hasn't been.

^ Totally this. Don't care if a player is late sometimes, such things happen to anyone, they should accept the fine and shut their mouths, family memebers as well.

The bigger problem is that apart from a 10-15 games patch from the second half of last season, he's been very poor IMO.

• Like 1

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/matt-lowton-fined-weeks-wages-6527414

Matt Lowton has been fined a week’s wages by Aston Villa after turning up late for training because of a traffic jam.

Lowton was also left out of the squad for Saturday’s thrilling 2-2 Premier League draw against Liverpool at Anfield.

The 24-year-old right-back failed to report to the Bodymoor Heath training ground on time on Friday and was punished by manager Paul Lambert for breaking club rules.

Lowton is believed to have set off from his north Derbyshire home at his usual time on Friday morning but was stuck in a traffic jam after an accident closed the M1 and he had to take a diversion.

It is the first time he has been in breach of Lambert’s code of conduct and the former Sheffield United defender has apologised and accepted his punishment.

Leandro Bacuna deputised at right-back as the claret and blues produced arguably their best performance of the season.

Lowton is set to report back to training tomorrow.

“Matt was late for training yesterday he’s been disciplined by the club,” confirmed Lambert.

“He’ll come in for training on Monday and that’s it now dealt with.

“He’ll be available for selection for our next game against West Brom a week on Wednesday.”

Lowton had recently played his way back into Lambert’s first team plans after admitting his form at the start of this season fell below the high standards he set during his debut campaign.

Â