General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubt it would be a partnership. I think it would be one of Bent or Defoe

We simply would not be able to keep them happy, even if we could persuade Defoe on those terms!

Surely its better to bring in someone to play alongside Bent!

Defoe would be a nightmare signing for me. I've always hated the way he plays. His goal for England the other night is a prime example of everything I hate about him. England on the counter-attack, have men over, options everywhere.... so what does he do? Holds the ball, cuts inside and just wacks it. 9 times out of 10 that ball isn't going in the net, and it's a complete waste of an attack.

If another player would have had an open goal he still would have hit it.

Really really dislike him.

We don't need someone to play alongside Bent ... we need someone to take the goal burden off his shoulders. If he's out we're **** (like last season)

We need another goal scorer. Every team needs options, at the moment ours are Bent or no goals

Not a big fan of Defoe... In fact I think he is a one trick pony, get the ball-turn the defender-hit the ball hard and straight! Some go in, some hit the keeper.

He does score goals, and is seen as similar to Bent, although Bent scores most of his in the 6 yard box and Defoe scores most of his outside.

I've thought there is no way these two can lay together as they are Both goalscorers...

But the more I think about it the more I think it could work!

If you have a midfield creating goals, the surely 2 finishers is better than one? If Ireland, Holman, Bannan, N'Zogbia, Gardner etc are threading balls through the middle then surely two players like this would be the Ones you want one the end of those passes?

Yes I'm stil unsure myself, but themorei think about how Lambert looks like playing us, the more I think it would work...

Hmmm....cannot see Spurs selling Defoe when he is their only senior striker. Add to that the fact that he would not be guaranteed a start here and it looks non runner.

If we are really after a target man I suspect we could end with Carroll. Hopefully just on loan.

If we're going to sign another goalscorer I would rather utilise our new Head European Scout and sign a quality player for a lot less than Defoe would cost. Much like Newcastle signing Cisse for £10m last season. I would imagine his salary his half of what Defoe is on.

Seems strange to me to want this manager , believe he is a good manager and then not trust his judgement.

IF he wants Defoe and or Jones (at this point it is still an IF) thenit is because he believes they will add to the team and help him make us more successful than we have been in the last two years. IF he believes that the addition of these players is going to improve us then at this point (ie before a ball has been kicked in anger) he deserves the freedom / trust to make that decision and recruit them. To not give him that trustwell you may as well shut up shop now as only the likes of Pep Guardiola spending 100M will suit you.

I will certainly give him that trust to get on with the job, which is not an easy one and is one that will not be sorted just by one transfer window, but will take two or three or four windows to resolve the mess he has been left with after the past two managers

If we're going to sign another goalscorer I would rather utilise our new Head European Scout and sign a quality player for a lot less than Defoe would cost. Much like Newcastle signing Cisse for £10m last season. I would imagine his salary his half of what Defoe is on.
No win situation as then you would get people complaining , as they have done already on this site, that the player is unproven in the premiership and that at this stage we desperately need proven premierhip quality.

I will certainly give him that trust to get on with the job, which is not an easy one and is one that will not be sorted just by one transfer window, but will take two or three or four windows to resolve the mess he has been left with after the past two managers

Past three managers. For all that MON did it's still players he signed on huge wages that are dragging us down. Anyway that debate has been done to death, just want the facts right.

I'm very happy with Lambert but I think we still have the right to question potential signings even though they will no doubt have the backing of most people here IF they sign.

well if defoe comes here and takes a bit of pressure of bent and chips in with around 12 to 15 goals i'm all for that, what the guy gets up to off the pitch is up to him and if he wants to travel back to london after every game then so be it.

i think some supporters need to have a reality check, we are no longer this big six club that take there pick of the top players in the league. just for the record i don't think spurs would sell anyway.

I think its difficult to bring in strikers especially because if you buy a proven PL quality like Defoe you must be prepared to pay more not only the cost of buying but also the wages, that also applies in top strikers from top leagues... If you want to save money, you might do a steal like Cisse or you might as well buy someone who just doesnt fit in either with the team or with the English lifestyle so either way it is a gamble... You might say that a proven player gives you a more known "worst" level performance...