General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a big fan of Defoe... In fact I think he is a one trick pony, get the ball-turn the defender-hit the ball hard and straight! Some go in, some hit the keeper.

He does score goals, and is seen as similar to Bent, although Bent scores most of his in the 6 yard box and Defoe scores most of his outside.

I've thought there is no way these two can lay together as they are Both goalscorers...

But the more I think about it the more I think it could work!

If you have a midfield creating goals, the surely 2 finishers is better than one? If Ireland, Holman, Bannan, N'Zogbia, Gardner etc are threading balls through the middle then surely two players like this would be the Ones you want one the end of those passes?

Yes I'm stil unsure myself, but themorei think about how Lambert looks like playing us, the more I think it would work...

They didn't work all that well together at Spurs.

Not a big fan of Defoe... In fact I think he is a one trick pony, get the ball-turn the defender-hit the ball hard and straight! Some go in, some hit the keeper.

He does score goals, and is seen as similar to Bent, although Bent scores most of his in the 6 yard box and Defoe scores most of his outside.

I've thought there is no way these two can lay together as they are Both goalscorers...

But the more I think about it the more I think it could work!

If you have a midfield creating goals, the surely 2 finishers is better than one? If Ireland, Holman, Bannan, N'Zogbia, Gardner etc are threading balls through the middle then surely two players like this would be the Ones you want one the end of those passes?

Yes I'm stil unsure myself, but themorei think about how Lambert looks like playing us, the more I think it would work...

They didn't work all that well together at Spurs.

As long as one of them gets the ball in the net, would it matter?

Couldn't agree more with Richards post!!

Likewise why do we all question why player x y z is or isn't playing on the basis of us seeing them play once every 1-2 weeks, we need to start trusting the coaching staff and manager as they see them play everyday in all sorts of scenarios.

We're still light but I think there will be another 3 come in even before Warnock and Hutton are gone? Surely to drop them and leave them in the wilderness requires some knowledge from agents etc that someone will have them off us :-0

Seems strange to me to want this manager , believe he is a good manager and then not trust his judgement.

IF he wants Defoe and or Jones (at this point it is still an IF) thenit is because he believes they will add to the team and help him make us more successful than we have been in the last two years. IF he believes that the addition of these players is going to improve us then at this point (ie before a ball has been kicked in anger) he deserves the freedom / trust to make that decision and recruit them. To not give him that trustwell you may as well shut up shop now as only the likes of Pep Guardiola spending 100M will suit you.

I will certainly give him that trust to get on with the job, which is not an easy one and is one that will not be sorted just by one transfer window, but will take two or three or four windows to resolve the mess he has been left with after the past two managers

My problem is not with trusting the coaching staff - I do. My problem is that I had rather hoped - further, I had been led to believe - that the board might let Lambert make a couple of genuinely ambitious signings rather than bargain basement knockoffs to paper over the frankly enormous cracks left by the firesale of almost every quality player we have had over the past few years.

Who knows, maybe they will. But links to players like Kenwyne Jones don't fill me with confidence. Lambert is a good manager but I'm hoping his hands aren't tied too firmly behind his back.

Knowing that, and learning from his mistakes, Lerner is now quite rightly saying lets try and move players on before we sign replacements. There is still two weeks of the window left, and i am certain that regardless of who does leave we will still sign players. This just strikes me as Lerner doing things the right way.

Well then you're not agreeing with him because he truly believes we have no money and that we need to sell players in order to pay for new ones.

No I don't believe that at all. YOU clearly haven't read what I've written.

We don't need more money to buy players, we are short of the money to pay their WAGES.

Seems strange to me to want this manager , believe he is a good manager and then not trust his judgement.

IF he wants Defoe and or Jones (at this point it is still an IF) thenit is because he believes they will add to the team and help him make us more successful than we have been in the last two years. IF he believes that the addition of these players is going to improve us then at this point (ie before a ball has been kicked in anger) he deserves the freedom / trust to make that decision and recruit them. To not give him that trustwell you may as well shut up shop now as only the likes of Pep Guardiola spending 100M will suit you.

I will certainly give him that trust to get on with the job, which is not an easy one and is one that will not be sorted just by one transfer window, but will take two or three or four windows to resolve the mess he has been left with after the past two managers

My problem is not with trusting the coaching staff - I do. My problem is that I had rather hoped - further, I had been led to believe - that the board might let Lambert make a couple of genuinely ambitious signings rather than bargain basement knockoffs to paper over the frankly enormous cracks left by the firesale of almost every quality player we have had over the past few years.

Who knows, maybe they will. But links to players like Kenwyne Jones don't fill me with confidence. Lambert is a good manager but I'm hoping his hands aren't tied too firmly behind his back.

Two things from this Patrick

1. Is the window finished yet?

2. If you have been led to believe it then you can rest assured that Lambert has laso been led to believe that he will be backed to turn us around. So do you think they would have taken the risk of lieing to him? He doesn't strike me as someone who will put up with that and I'm sure the board are aware of that

Sit back, relax enjoy the match tomorrow safe in the knowledge that our team is changing and will continue to change, for the good.

The window ain't closed yet

We say that this time every year and always end up disappointed. What makes this year so different?

This is very true. Better to expect the worse with Villa to avoid disappointment . Signing players will then be a pleasant suprise.

Knowing that, and learning from his mistakes, Lerner is now quite rightly saying lets try and move players on before we sign replacements. There is still two weeks of the window left, and i am certain that regardless of who does leave we will still sign players. This just strikes me as Lerner doing things the right way.

Well then you're not agreeing with him because he truly believes we have no money and that we need to sell players in order to pay for new ones.

We don't need more money to buy players, we are short of the money to pay their WAGES.

You didn't say we have no money? You didn't say we need to sell players before we bring players in?

Hmmmmmm :?

Since you are clearly hard of thinking I'm going to say this slowly.....perhaps it would also help you to copy it down, maybe in crayon?

THERE......IS........NO.......MONEY.......TO.......SPEND.

WE......NEED.......TO.......SELL........PLAYERS........TO.........FREE.......UP........MONEY.........WE........WOULD.......HAVE........PAID.......THEM.......TO.......PAY.........SOMEONE......ELSE.

Maybe you should have said it a bit slower. Maybe you should have written it in crayon first.

:lol::lol:

Like i said no one agrees with you.

Some people think selling to buy is fine and a smart way to do business but i don't think anyone truly believes that we literally can't afford to bring someone in without selling someone first.

We say that this time every year and always end up disappointed. What makes this year so different?

Funny thing is apart from the last two years I haven't been that disappointed, cant speak for anyone else

The fact that this time we have already brought in several new players.. This isn't a MON situation where no one has been looked at yet and we are hoping he actually does something in the final 2 weeks, we have already done things so we know that if Lambert wants a few more in after Saturday's game it will more than likely happen.

You didn't say we have no money? You didn't say we need to sell players before we bring players in?

Hmmmmmm :?

Since you are clearly hard of thinking I'm going to say this slowly.....perhaps it would also help you to copy it down, maybe in crayon?

THERE......IS........NO.......MONEY.......TO.......SPEND.

WE......NEED.......TO.......SELL........PLAYERS........TO.........FREE.......UP........MONEY.........WE........WOULD.......HAVE........PAID.......THEM.......TO.......PAY.........SOMEONE......ELSE.

Maybe you should have said if a bit slower. Maybe you should have written it in crayon first.

:lol::lol:

Like i said no one agrees with you.

Some people think selling to buy is fine and a smart way to do business but i don't think anyone truly believes that we literally can't afford to bring someone in without selling someone first.

I thought this was a discussion forum rather than a popularity contest...? :?

Read the last sentence of my slow talking again.

Clearly there is no mention of "sell to buy" at all.

We need to reduce the wage bill before Randy will sanction further signings. ie. Rather than paying 3 left backs, Randy wants us to sell one, before we are allowed to sign a replacement - so we are only paying two.

The issue is the WAGE budget NOT the transfer fees.

Please try to understand.

Funny thing is apart from the last two years I haven't been that disappointed, cant speak for anyone else

You were one of the most negative posters on here before McLeish got the push. Our signings this pre season have been underwhelming at best. I don't know how anyone in their right mind be so positive going into the new season with our squad being so weak. Unless you know something we don't I suggest you're quite deluded with your optimism.