General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just seen that LB george friend has signed for middlesbough. does that now mean that bennett will be on his way to villa

What's your logic?

We have already been linked with bennett and now Friend could be bennetts replacement. We shall see

Middlesbro' sign a player from Doncaster to replace someone who plays for Ipswich?

:?

You do realise Bennett is a Middlesbrough player? It's Creswell who plays for Ipswich .

Who is also injured. I doubt it.

I think he'll be certainly looking at a wide player although Holman and N'Zogbia are available as narrower wingers/inside forwards or whatever. Then there's players like Carruthers (can play wide), Grealish and Graham to come in. But another wide player would be on his list I'm sure. Hopefully Adam Johnson.

Adam Johnson would be fantastic.

I thought Gabby was only out for 2weeks?

But yeah, we really do need another winger. Shame as I think Albrighton would show some good form under Lambert.

Seeing as Albrighton is out for a while we must be looking at another winger? Unless Lambert feels Gabby can do a job there :|

Lambert doesn't really play with wingers all that much he hasn't in the pre-season games anyway. He's played a more narrow set up with all 4 midfielders playing through the middle with not much happening out wide.

Seeing as Albrighton is out for a while we must be looking at another winger? Unless Lambert feels Gabby can do a job there :|

Lambert doesn't really play with wingers all that much he hasn't in the pre-season games anyway. He's played a more narrow set up with all 4 midfielders playing through the middle with not much happening out wide.

I think we've played with no wide men in Pre season because we've only got one proper winger in nzogbia.

I'm sure he played with wingers at Norwich.

^ Not really, he did in a few games. His most common formation was:

--------GK

RB-CB-CB-LB

-------DM

----CM--CM

-------AM

----Str--Str

with the fullbacks providing the width. He changes his teams and formations a lot though so he doesn't really have one set way of playing. But the above, very narrow (bar fullbacks) was the most common formation and I think he used it around 25 times last season for Norwich.

Tell a lie, according to Wiki he used that formation 12 times. It was still the most common formation.

From Wiki: Norwich Foramtions in 11/12 season:

Qty Formation

12 4–1–2–1–2

9 4–2–3–1

7 4–4–2

1 5–3–2

1 4-5-1

So yeah, he can use wingers but he prefers to play narrow in midfield.

^ Not really, he did in a few games. His most common formation was:

--------GK

RB-CB-CB-LB

-------DM

----CM--CM

-------AM

----Str--Str

with the fullbacks providing the width. He changes his teams and formations a lot though so he doesn't really have one set way of playing. But the above, very narrow (bar fullbacks) was the most common formation and I think he used it around 25 times last season for Norwich.

I was always a big fan of that formation and I think Carlo Ancellotti perfected it at AC Milan, he had cafu & maldini in the full back positions, but later he had zambrotta and jankuloski both of whom got forward very well and made it seem like a midfield 6 at times. He had Pirlo in the DM play maker role and Gattuso as a work horse, with the technically brilliant Seedorf beside him, and Kaka of Sheva & Inzaghi. Id love to see Lambert doing something similar with

Bannan

KAE Holman/Makoun

Ireland

Tell a lie, according to Wiki he used that formation 12 times. It was still the most common formation.

From Wiki: Norwich Foramtions in 11/12 season:

Qty Formation

12 4–1–2–1–2

9 4–2–3–1

7 4–4–2

1 5–3–2

1 4-5-1

So yeah, he can use wingers but he prefers to play narrow in midfield.

That last statistic is a welcome relief!