Wimbledon thread

mjmooney

Someone told me today that Murray was a Dunblane survivor. Is this true?

If it is, then I swear never to criticise the lad for not smiling much,

Yep. Both he and his brother were there on that day, I think.

Yeah the emotion was surprising and heart wrenching to be honest.

Nice to see that from someone with a reputation of being so unemotional

He doesn't really have that reputation though, surly yes, unemotional no. He's quite a shy bloke and clearly doesn't like the press attention. He was commenting at some point this week in an interview on the beeb how hard it is to make sure you say the right thing in the 90 odd press conferences he has to do a year. He's clearly not unemotional on the court, he just comes across as lacking a personality in interviews, simply because I think he doesn't like them and finds them quite a struggle because he knows his every word gets twisted, like the "Whoever England are playing" comment that has dogged him out of context for years now.

I think he does have that reputation.

I don't think that reputation is accurate. His emotion is often his downfall, imo, as he is hard on himself on the court.

But I think people have a perception of him as being this boring, unemotional personality when in fact he isn't. That's all I meant.

Where he burst into tears just showed how much this competition means to him, and how much winning in front of the crowd would have meant. He's a genuinely pleasant person who isn't a fan of press inquisitiveness. But he's a really good player, just unfortunate to be around at the same time as Nadal, Federer and Djokovic. Also unforutnate to be hated by a good portion of British people due to his words being twisted and his supposed lack of personality. He's a very watchable player.

In a way he;s a victim of his own talent.

I mean, he's the best British player we've had in how long? Decades? Certainly in my lifetime.

But purely for the fact that he's that good, so he can come so close to these grandslams but not win any (yet) means he's sort of seen as this figure of failure, to an extent. When he's not failing. He's just not the best in the world. But so few people ever are.

Its not the first time Murray has cried, he cried after the Australian Open, again against Federer, and also showed some humour in his speech. But that went largely unnoticed by the Murray bashers because they generally only watch him once a year at Wimbledon.

The guy did himself proud yesterday, some of the returns he got off took an incredible amount of effort.

Its just a shame he didnt win because you've got to think next year the likes of Nadal and Djok will probably still be in the QF's/SF's.

I think he does have that reputation.

I don't think that reputation is accurate. His emotion is often his downfall, imo, as he is hard on himself on the court.

although he is playing in a generation of superb players i think one of the main reasons he wont win a grand slam is his inability to handle his emotions on the court...

he is so ridiculously quick to get annoyed with himself...

i remember lip reading him yesterday after he just miss hit a shot, looking up to his entourage and saying "yeah yeah i know it was shit" in a really impulsive and mardy way...

it was a problem 4 years ago when he was just a lad and it still is now

He was albeit he was a couple of years older than those poor kids who were shot.

Rory Delap

Rory Delap

The whole Rory Delap thing is incredibly Rory Delap.

It's not common knowledge, I spoke to quite a few people today that didn't know.

rory delap ?

You never saw the Rory Delap thread in Other Football last season huh?

Someone decided, after 5 years of everyone talking about them, to start a thread about how he'd noticed that Rory Delap had quite a long throw.

If you can find it, it's worth a read.

For a while after it, anything which was old news was replied to on here by 'in other news, Rory Delap has quite a long throw.' Over time it's now just become as simple as saying 'Rory Delap'.

And that concludes today's VT History Lesson.

Â