Karim El Ahmadi

Feyenoord

I think a midfield pairing of El Ahmadi and Ireland would work well. I mean last season mainly thanks to negative tactics Ireland was one of our best defensive midfielders, he can hold his own. I'd be concerned if Ireland was bad at tackling but so many times last season he sprinted back to win a tackle and get the ball, Ireland seemed to believe his strong point was in that roaming role but I actually think his strength is playing in a midfield pairing.

Too lightweight for me. Against players who aren't as good technically, but dominant physically, we could get dominated. A Stoke pair of Whelan and Whitehouse or a Norwich pair of Howson and Johnson could get on top earlier and crush the team's confidence. I'd be happier with that third man in there disrupting them.

I think this plays to our strengths a bit more as well as we've only got Bent who you can rely on for goals and our wide men aren't very good defensively so it gives them a bit more of a license to stay forward.

Doesn't Lambert usually favour a diamond shape in midfield? I think it will still be 4-4-2 , just with more protection down the centre and the fullbacks bombing on.
Lambert uses every formation under the sun, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I imagine El Ahmadi and Ireland as midfield main stays, with Bannan, Herd, Gardner, Johnson, N'Zogbia, Albrighton and all the other midfielders fighting it out for a place.

Healthy competition in the midfield that will showcase how good or bad our players are.

He looks to be forging a great partnership with Ireland.

I read that too fast and thought why would he be joining up with Iceland? Is this some strange sponsorship alliance?

Then I read it properly

At the moment I only see Holman & El Ahmadi as absolute mainstays in midfield.

I think it may depend on what formation/tactics Lambert plays in a specific match.

To be fair, I'm not even sure Ireland will be a main stay, actually.

I think Lambert will almost certainly play a diamond in midfield and I think it'll be compact, using 4 CMs in various guises.

I'd really like to see KEA and Bannan starting, probably Ireland in there too. Petrov would have thrived in this system - I really hope he plays for us again but I know he probably won't.

I think Lambert will almost certainly play a diamond in midfield and I think it'll be compact, using 4 CMs in various guises.

I'd really like to see KEA and Bannan starting, probably Ireland in there too. Petrov would have thrived in this system - I really hope he plays for us again but I know he probably won't.

Delph seems to getting a massive spotlight on him in pre-season too.

it may be a

---------Ireland----------

Bannan--------El Ahmadi

---------Delph------------

diamond.

Going to the Forest game on Saturday so get my first up close look at the bloke. Been impressed with the little highlights i've seen and so far he's the one player that is exciting me this summer..granted we haven't signed that many players lol. But yeah I'll be watching him closely, if playing, on Saturday.

Surely a narrow midfield 4 with two strikers would be 'the end' of Albrighton. Holman seems comfortable playing centrally, but Marc is a wide midfielder.

Lambert is renowned for being able to change his formation to suit the opposition so I'd imagine he will need a wide player who can cross at some stage. A good option from the bench.

Â