Hopes and Expectations for Next Season

Condimentalist

Obviously it's a little difficult to say anything too accurately about expectations without knowing what sort of money we have to spend this summer. However I thought it was worth starting this topic as the subject is coming up frequently in the Paul Lambert thread.

Personally, I would expect mid-table and hope for top half. I don't think anything more than that is realistic. We're probably in a worse state than when MON took over and he finished 11th in his first year. I'd expect something similar this coming campaign.

I think most of us would be pleased with not being in the relegation scrap, happy with mid-table to top half and ecstatic at anything better than that but that's pretty unrealistic at this point.

Like you said above, it depends on how much backing he's getting, which if Richard has heard correctly, could be quite a substantial amount.

Top 10 and a promising spell in the transfer market. I'm not looking for cup wins though they would be a nice bonus

Gah double post, didn't mean to do that.. :lol:

As long as we arent in a relegation fight but we play constantly exciting football I'd take probably down to 15th it may take a couple of years to get the results right but if we can see improvement that's what matters. And a decent flipping go in the cups.

I would be happy in his first season with 8-12th as long as it appears that PL is developing a team that could be consistently higher in the future. While I accept that he may have little choice but to bring in a few "old" players to add experience and stability, I hope that he buys some younger players with good potential. We will never be able to compete with the top 5-6 in terms of spend so he needs to do a Newcastle and scout some young bargains

We'll be lucky to finish top half, cant imagine there being so many dogshit teams this year compared to last. 10th-15th with the clearings in the woods gone will be okay a transitional season with a pretty much new, young squad. If he keeps the likes of Dunne, Collins, Warnock and Hutton I'd want top half to justify them being here after how they have been last 2 seasons .

Worth considering how over hyped the PL is though

I mean Swansea 11th? Stoke top 10 !

Jeez Newcastle showed outside the top 5 it's anyone's to grab and go on a run

Agreed, but Newcastle will have another good season (not as good as this) if they keep all their players

I have a feeling Everton may actually start well for once

Liverpool simply cant be that shit again

Fulham will be interesting now after having a year with Jol, depends on their Dempsey replacement though

Stoke may invest again, they did a fair bit last summer

Sunderland wont be shit at the start of the season, just March this year.

QPR will spend to improve

Thats what I think anyway, the PL is way overhyped but think quite a lot of teams will improve this year and imagine one of Southampton or Reading will have a great season (my money is on Southampton) and finish mid table too. It wont be as simple as 'throw £20m at players and we'll finish 8th again'. Having a future top manager in Lambert will certainly help though

Â