Hopes and Expectations for Next Season

Condimentalist

I think we should improve massively just by changing manager / coaches etc

Get rid of the rotten apples and 4 or 5 decent additions and we are top 10

Ready to kick on in 13/14

Odd already people thought Mcleish was atrocious and all seem to think PL is good stuff, yet expectations are so low ? If so much of our position last year was down to Mcleish - as I think it was - and PL is so good - as I think he is - then as a minimum we must expect a marked improvement, that is only logical surely ?

Or are we now agreeing with the pundits who said it wasn't Mcleishes fault !! Please no !!!

In my view the gap between PL and Mcleish alone is worth 6 draws turned into wins, so we would be 12 points better off. In actual fact I see no reason why, with his superb motivational skills, tactical awareness, and positive approach, we can't do better than that.

So I will say I expect we will get in the top half and with the necessary luck have a good Cup run.

It wouldn't suprise me at all if we are in the pack chasing a Top 6 finish, although that may be tempered a little by what he buys.

Too early to say but at the moment I'd say that finishing around 10th would be steady progress and give us something good to build on. A decent cup run would be nice too but a solid improvement in the league is far more important.

Obviously it all depends on what we do in the transfer market, which is why it's too early to answer this question properly. I shall revisit the thread with a more concrete answer once the transfer window has closed and we know for certain what players Lambert will be working with.

Just to flesh it out a bit, my 'minimum 6 more wins' means we would win at least 13 games. As many as the Baggies did last year. We'd be up as a minimum around 50 Points.

Are those who are saying we may not get top half saying PL will only manage 4 more wins than Mcleish ?

It depends on the backing he gets and we do not want to make the job more difficult than it already will be by setting what would be unrealistic expectations before we know what that backing will turn out to be.

I would like to see us trying to play some football and trying to win rather than draw games particularly at Villa Park. I also want to be outside of the bottom 6 at the end of the season anything more than that would be a bonus.

It depends on the backing he gets and we do not want to make the job more difficult than it already will be by setting what would be unrealistic expectations before we know what that backing will turn out to be.

I would like to see us trying to play some football and trying to win rather than draw games particularly at Villa Park. I also want to be outside of the bottom 6 at the end of the season anything more than that would be a bonus.

Anything more than 44 points a bonus ?

I find that an incredibly low estimation of what the new Manager is likey to acheive. It is one thing we don't want to overcook it but if Mcleish had stayed and said that he would have been run out of the Midlands !!

It may take more than 44 points next season terrytini and that along with playing decent football and going for wins would be a bonus after what we had last season.

It is one thing we don't want to overcook it but if 'he who shall not be named' had stayed and said that he would have been run out of the Midlands !!

Yes, but it is not him or the new manager that is saying it. :winkold:

League - 12th or higher

Cups - Decent run, not expecting any final appearances

General - Positive attitude, regardless of the opposition. Clear out the dead wood. More playing time for the promising youngsters. Attacking football.

Perhaps, for Mr Lambert's benefit, someone could provide a list of the people variously described as "tossers", "clearings in the woods" and "rotten apples" who he is expected to get rid of.

Let's start with Stephen "own goal" Warnock & James "air traffic control" Collins

It may take more than 44 points next season terrytini and that along with playing decent football and going for wins would be a bonus after what we had last season.

It is one thing we don't want to overcook it but if 'he who shall not be named' had stayed and said that he would have been run out of the Midlands !!

Yes, but it is not him or the new manager that is saying it. :winkold:

In all the history of the Prem it has only required more than 44 Points once.

I am all for not getting carried away, but surely you want/think he can do better than 6 points better than the last guy ??

but surely you want/think he can do better than 6 points better than the last guy ??

I think it is all about the backing that he gets terrytini. With the right backing he would be expected to do more than secure 14th and without it yes I think he would still be likely to do better than 14th. But what I am saying is 14th would be a minimum objective to aim for as things currently stand. I hope that clarifies how I see it.

Â