If you were the manager...

omariqy

Okay I will take a serious shot at this.

Sell:

Collins

Dunne

Hutton

Fonz

Delph

Presume Heskey, Guzan are going along with Cuellar. Probably Petrov will retire.

Bring in

New backup GK

Ryan Taylor

Steven Taylor

Olsson

Kyle Naughton

Huddlestone

Adam Lallana

Sigurdsson (If possible, doubt it)

Snodgrass / McCormack

With the money saved on wages / bit of transfer should be able to get them all in on cheaper deals. Id just look for players that can create and are comfortable on the ball. I was thinking who could we get from other prem clubs but none of them would even consider coming here.

Resign Reo-Coker.

Try and sign Robert Huth, towering defender, scores some goals, aggressive and he's no slouch when it comes to speed.

Resign Cuellar and give him a CB spot to call his, the only thing he's ever asked a chance of.

Kill Hutton.

Tell the team to attack and don't worry too much about conceding.

Tell the team to shoot on sight, which is how you will get bent to score, from goal keeper spills etc (see goal v Man city)

Tell the team to show no fear.

Get Makoun back, use him.

Get Holman to kill.

Out:

Dunne

Collins

Warnock

Hutton

Delph

Possibly Ireland as well. He's been good for us recently but I'm just not sure he's worth the massive wages he's on.

In:

No idea. Would like to try and get some players from abroad in but my knowledge of foreign leagues is pretty limited.

I'd bring Laursen to the club if he were up for it. Look what Arsenal have done with Bold. Been coaching for years there to work him up to become Wengers number 2.

Id bring in a good back room team.

Someone related to Villa as Assistant Manager - Ian Taylor esq...someone that gives a toss.

GK Coach, Defensive Coach, Midfield, Attack etc.

Id get the players working to certain positive tactics. The whole playing Warnock and Herd/Clarke in central midfield is a joke.

Id then ship out a handful of our players - like of Hutton, Warnock, Collins, Delfoneso & Cueller/Heskey (Leaving already).

I would then make sure I get Makoun & Delph back playing a positive role in the team. I would also sign a number of player (mostly on bosmans) who will fit certain positions to fit my tactical ideas.

Team?

GK: Given, Guzan & Marshall (Maybe Seigrist)

RB: Lichaq & Herd

LB: New & Stephens

CB: Dunne, Clarke, New, New, Baker (can play LB too)

CM: Makoun, Delph, New, Gardner, Johnson,

RM: Holdon, Albrighton

LM: Nzogbia, New, Bannan (can play RM too)

AM: Ireland, New

F: Benty, Gabby, Weimann, New

Think we should bring in 6 new players. Don't know who. Guthrie and the left back at Newcastle have been mentioned. I heard Berbatov is on a bosman?

was only going on web values :/ lol tbh Delfouneso could be worth around that down to the fact he has the "potential" to be good under the right management who stop his attitude problem!

think the best we'd get for Delfouneso would be a sell on clause in his contract ..

just in case he does come good

If Delfouneso comes good I will donate £100 to VT. Poor mans Vassell at best.

Fantasy football... bring in Messi, Villa etc...

But if trying to add a bit of realism to this scenario, you'd have to look at the training, philosophy and atmosphere of the club as much as the personnel.

Sit down with the players, get their views but tell them who's boss. I'd speak to Lerner and insist that disciplinary decisions must be backed by the board and if that means player being sold then so be it.

Looking at the squad, I'd try to make small changes at first. Clean slate for all players but make them aware pre-season is vital and everyone is fighting for positions. Bring in another striker regardless - maybe someone like Holt who could be a good signing but would be relatively cheap (as far as British strikers go). I'd resign Cueller, if nothing else his experience is vital. Would look at two or three more additions for squad depth, but probably have to be cheap(er) buys from relegated teams and the like - players such as Fletcher.

I'd ultimately switch to a formation that added width to the team, giving Ireland and N'Zogbia space to be adventurous but with a solid central midfield pairing.

I'd let a bunch of kids go out on loan, Carruthers, Gardner etc til January. See how the beginning of the season goes and make some additions in January. Ensure we are a more adventurous team, attacking at home and playing more counter-attack against better teams away.

In all likelihood, I'd listen to offers for Hutton, Albrighton, Delfouneso and Collins.

Hopefully get the club between 8-10th in first season and attempt to build from a better footing.

Continue to assess and review players based on wages/contribution and continue to refresh the squad in year two. Perhaps see the likes of Dunne and Warnock departing.

Year 2 and the aim would be firmly on securing European qualification. Once we have addressed wages, ask Lerner for a bigger injection of funds for Year three in keeping with progress and success.

Or I'd just hide in my dugout, count my money and wait for my huge compensation for being sacked...

simply put I would play to the squads strengths. Yes it may mean short term playing MON style but then intergrate players ndsa philosophy that meant more a football stance without going all substance over purpose. Wengers title winning Arsenal had a great balancdeof playing football but could go toe to toe if required, win ugly, and were a powerful team nowadays his teams aplay far more wonderful football, but overplay, lack that power, purpose. That his what I mean by purposefcul football.

I'd get rid of as many of the following as possible, cheaply if necessary:

Dunne, Collins, Hutton, Bannan, Delphouneso.

Bring back Makoun, if he still wants to play for us.

Buy: a RB and at least one good CB, a midfielder like Sigurddson, and a striker. These would have to be players selected for their motivation as much as their talent.

Keep, and try to make the most of talented players like Ireland and N'Zogbia.

Improve the scouting network a hundredfold.

Try to find a role for people who actually give a shit about the club, like Ian Taylor and Martin Laursen.

Try to bring in backroom staff who can teach players how to defend set pieces and actually **** score from them.

Take the iPod away from the kid who puts on the pre-match music and let the fans sing, if they still remember how to after years of being deafened by other people's choice of music.

...And make some space in the trophy cabinet :)

Assess the squad, selll dont fit, you want out, get in who youwant/can get, play to their strengths. Then target players you want who can bring something more finesse, marquee, more in line with what you want without compromising the balance and ethos of what got you there.

I know I go on about Arsenal but as great as Wenger is, he compromised on the squad strength to play pure football which in such a hard league, physically, has cost them. If, like Ferge, he replaced the vieras, petits like for like then they would have won so much more. Fergie always plays to tthe strength of his team, hence why, despite being poor squads by their standrds,manure still win things.

Know your squad. Know their strengths, weaknesses. Play to that, then change things slowly over a position of strength.

Everybody goes on about how good our academy is but we have not produced one single quality player yet so it cant be all that good.

cahill? gabby? herd? clark? albrighton?

i still think with the right manager and some more time on the pitch of the players we've seen this year then lichaj, bannan, gardner and baker will turn out to be quality too.

back on topic, if i was manager i'd be looking to use more of them together as they've been paying and winning together for years :)

Cahill - over rated

gabby - poor

herd - decent

clark - decent

allbrighton - woeful

as I said no real quality, average joes is all we produce at best.

Cahill is probably the best on that list but he was shit while at Bolton.

revamp the scouting system.

introduce more modern coaching methods, move towards posession football, with purpose.

develop a winning mentality, sign characters as well as talent.

encourage some ex villa Nous behind the scenes...Maybe a football

person on the board to advise the money men.

be more business like with player performance, less tolerant with poor performance.

be decisive in footballing matters less pussy footing with players.

I think after the season we've had it's going to be tough for us to see which players truly aren't up to it and which ones just had awful seasons because of the manager. I have suspicions the right manager could get more out of Bannan, Albrighton, Delph, Clark, Makoun...I wouldn't write off N'Zogbia or Dunne either, though you'd want to have a look at the effect they had on morale too. Would like to move on Collins and Hutton, maybe even Warnock, but it seems like a lot to replace. I think I'd set Delfouneso free as well, and Gabby if the right offer came in.

Â