Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Stevo; I am pretty sure you did mention the words " good run of form" check back it's there. Anyway I respect your right to have an opinion, this is what forums are all about. And yes I still think he's rubbish and would be happy to see him leave the club. A few weeks back there were quite a number of posts here discussing how bad he was. The difference being is that I'm sticking to my guns during this " good run of form" but they'll be back soon enough, you see he's not good enough to stop this happening IMO.

Stevo; I am pretty sure you did mention the words " good run of form" check back it's there. Anyway I respect your right to have an opinion, this is what forums are all about. And yes I still think he's rubbish and would be happy to see him leave the club. A few weeks back there were quite a number of posts here discussing how bad he was. The difference being is that I'm sticking to my guns during this " good run of form" but they'll be back soon enough, you see he's not good enough to stop this happening IMO.

But Steve is right though, he is on form isn't he? Even if he's not scoring every game, he's playing well. Over his career he's definitely had more better games than worse. He's saved us from relegation, has the second fastest prem hattrick (the only 'perfect' hattrick on the list, I might add) And always puts in a shift, even when he's played shit, I don't know why you hate him so much. Right now he's a constant threat and is linking up great with Benteke, even Tekkers said himself in an interview yesterday that he's loving being partnered with Gabby. I understand that people rate players more/less than other people do, but in your case it seems more of a personal vendetta. Did he ever cut you up in his Lambo and give you the finger?

• Like 1

It also looks like for the first time in forever he is showing intelligence. One thing that used to bug me when he played with Carew and Heskey was he was never in the right spot to receive a flick-on. These days he seems to be right there more often than not. Of course that's largely due to Benteke, but he's still getting himself where he needs to be.

But Steve is right though, he is on form isn't he? Even if he's not scoring every game, he's playing well. Over his career he's definitely had more better games than worse. He's saved us from relegation, has the second fastest prem hattrick (the only 'perfect' hattrick on the list, I might add) And always puts in a shift, even when he's played shit, I don't know why you hate him so much. Right now he's a constant threat and is linking up great with Benteke, even Tekkers said himself in an interview yesterday that he's loving being partnered with Gabby. I understand that people rate players more/less than other people do, but in your case it seems more of a personal vendetta. Did he ever cut you up in his Lambo and give you the finger?

I kind of agree with Dave a bit there. There have been more than a few points this season when I couldn't have said he was 'putting a shift in'. I suppose it could be argued that in those games he was trying, but just completely ineffectual. I think that's hard to sustain though - we've seen what he looks like when he's playing well. 

Where I differ from Dave is that it's obvious he's on form right now, so it seems churlish to complain at the moment. Might as well sit back and enjoy it. 

• Like 2

Yes, I said "good run of form"

You said I'd called it a "great run of form"

There's a big difference between the two. Gabby is on a good run of form. If he can keep it up until the end of the season and add a few goals, then it may become great.

Gabby at Wembley will be immense. Fingers crossed. Big pitch for him to eat up

I think this is overestimated a bit.

Wembley's pitch is exactly the same length as Villa Park's, albeit it is 3 yards wider.

All in all, it's not going to be much of a factor.

I've never played football to a high level, but I do wonder how much of a difference those 3 yards might actually make. Fine lines and all that.

Regardless, if we were playing over Richmond Park I'd want him fit. He and Benteke together will give Liverpool the shits.

3 yards total is 1.5 yards on either side of the pitch. I can't imagine that makes much difference at all.

Agree totally with your second point. I'm crossing everything that he's fit!

I'm sure it makes a slight difference.

But not as much as people make out.

"Big pitch for him to eat up" doesn't exactly translate to an extra yard and a half on the wing

Well each to their own.

An extra 4 and a half foot out of 225 feet isn't very much in my book.

Especially when length would be much more important for Gabby's game. Getting behind defenders is his weapon, not really beating them on the wing.

It's 9 feet wider, that's quite a bit of extra room to move  - especially when you're looking to go round a defender. It means you can be a little less accurate with long balls and they'll still be in play, knocking it past the defender and running after it etc.

• Like 2

I think I'm with Lexicon. Purely on the basis that at this level those small margins count. Particularly in this case when pace and getting the ball forward quickly, into the channels, is a big part of your game plan. That extra yard (and a half) will suit us much more than they.

It likely won't make much of a difference, but it *might*. It really might.

• Like 1

I don't dislike Gabby and I do appreciate his goals ....I also appreciate working up front isn't easy for any player.

I find it quite difficult to explain my view on him but whilst I do appreciate a lot about him I do cringe a bit at some of the hype he gets from some quarters and it does seem to me that, that hype seems to rear its head after a few goals from him.

I remember a lot of front players we have had over the years and despite to favourable overall goals column he has next to him, I prefer some of the others in my team.

One thing i do remember, is how you could almost RELY on some players to do things, Andy Gray was nailed on to score regularly, Brian little was nailed on to dribble and tease,Dwight Yorke was nailed on to do both,Dean Saunders was nailed on to Graft/Probe for 90 Minutes, Gary Shaw was nailed on to Score & Link and could he hold the ball without losing it.

Gabby for me you get what you get.....I'm not sure from one game to the next what that is ? the odd goal here and there and they usually are spectacular to be fair to him. He has a threat of pace, that usually concerns lower table defenders but the sophisticated ones have less fear of that as their reading of the game see's them through.

I hope Gabby scores at Wembley, and I will be as pleased as the next fan, but I wouldn't be rushing to the bookmakers to back the forecast.....but I will be applauding him.

In summary for me ....Great on his day, A little too inconsistent to be revered amongst the rest.....However I will finally throw in a defence for him all the above did play in better Villa Teams.

• Like 1

Â