All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

I’d rather my kids not be gay, but if they were it wouldn’t be a problem and I’d support them. I do think some of it is a fashion statement nowadays though, especially among women who think its edgy to be bi sexual. My wife has been with women before and quite happily admits she could have a relationship with another woman . 

Regarding teaching kids that it’s ok to be gay, then I’m probably not the person that will agree with that. I’d rather them learn and find out for themselves who they want to love or be attracted to. My partner on the other hand has already explained to my two eldest (6 and 4) that it’s ok for boys to fancy boys and girls to fancy girls. We’ve had words about this as I don’t think she should have done that, especially at an early age. She is far more progressive than me though. There is a lot more of it on tv now which I struggled with at first, but it’s just a sign of the times and I accept its a lot more open and relevant now. I certainly wouldn’t like kids programmes to start promoting homosexuality though if you know what I mean. 

I have no problem with gay people and I get on with some gay people. Hope I don’t come across the wrong way, but I like to try and be as honest as possible. Religion has nothing to do with this certain topic or my views. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Religion has nothing to do with this certain topic or my views. 

It kind of does though. 

The whole concept that homosexuality is somehow wrong or unnatural is implanted based on the religious 'values' that most societies were founded on. 

Whether someone identifies as religious or not, a lot of these themes are still subconsciously prevalent.   

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

It kind of does though. 

The whole concept that homosexuality is somehow wrong or unnatural is implanted based on the religious 'values' that most societies were founded on. 

Whether someone identifies as religious or not, a lot of these themes are still subconsciously prevalent.   

I agree . I don’t think homosexuality is wrong, but I don’t think kids should be learning about it at an early age. I’d rather kids be learning about the dangers of alcohol and drugs . 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

25 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Obviously when something is passed down from generation to generation it gets embedded into society . 

0SqqQAF.jpg

• Haha 1

Why classes on same sex relationships? We don't have any on personal relationships or heterosexual relationship development.

It actually irks me that this movement is given such importance and platform over other things going on in the world.

We are all children of God. All of noble birth, offspring to the King of Heaven. The pedigree of our spirit is eternal. I'm not even a religious person.

My Mother saw to it that I was to sit out of Religious Education classes. I've attended churches or mosques only a handful of times.

Children are smarter than we give them credit for. They absorb the world anew looking for truth with a mind unfiltered. They are free from dogma their elders have inherited.

It's no wonder that it's common for teenagers and youth to rebel and resent authority. So often the adult teaches the child that their values are naive and what ought to be.

They are experiencing a whirlwind of development and the best we have to offer is instruction and demands on how to play the power game by adult rules.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it is open. Preconception, expectations, judgement and prejudice only hinder that. That's why the mind of a child is pure.

Children don't have an innate disdain for gays, as far as I'm aware. However they absorb the world in abundance and soon learn the behaviours and beliefs.

We don't need to bloody indoctrinate kids into the acceptance of same sex love and equality because they have never been the issue in regards to discrimination.

• Thanks 1

It may be different where you are. There is no 'pro' gay agenda here. Just that there are variations on a theme and we all have to respect each other.

It's the equality of feelings and treatment that is being objected to here, rather than the presumed bias toward straight nuclear families.

It's easy short hand for the press that this is condensed in to a religious story, as these groups are usuallu organised, as opposed to just grumbling individuals who think it's ok to poke fun at queers or slap the missus IF she deserves it.

Then it suits everyone's agenda to change the story and trash some muslims.

Why classes on same sex relationships? We don't have any on personal relationships or heterosexual relationship development.

Yes we do. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bickster said:

We really aren't

Maybe you're right. I don't mean necessarily that we are children of a God who sent prophet Muhammad to spread his message or Jesus as our saviour.

I like how Ali puts it when he says that you would call him crazy for suggesting that a glass cup, or the building that you reside in, popped into existence from thin air.

Something or someone created them. So how then did the sun, the earth, the moon, Jupiter, the stars, the universe, come into being?

Our galaxy has hundreds of billions of stars, nearly all of them circled by one planet. The diameter of some are astronomical. Then there are other galaxies.

Superclusters of galaxies. The cosmic web, billions and billions of galaxies, millions of light years separating them. What else is out there? Do the same laws of nature exist?

Obviously something much wiser than us is responsible for all this. And that, to me, is God. An all-knowing creator.

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yes we do. 

What, sex-ed classes? We had a single sex-ed class which lasted an hour in my entire schooling. That's not what I am talking about either.

You're obviously well educated and an avid learner, so I'll have to take your word for it. Maybe your education was different to mine.

Primary school through to tertiary education, I've not come across that class.

As tbe WWI trench song had it - We're here because we're here because we're here because we're here. 

It was an evolutionary advantage to us to perceive the concept of causality. Unfortunately, it was so apparently all-encompassing, we tried applying it beyond its limits. You either have a sentient being that did not himself need to be created - or you simply have a cosmos (or the potential for a big bang) that did not itself need to be created. Both concepts that jar with our obsession with causality. We each choose the alternative that seems right to us. I choose the latter. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

As tbe WWI trench song had it - We're here because we're here because we're here because we're here. 

It was an evolutionary advantage to us to perceive the concept of causality. Unfortunately, it was so apparently all-encompassing, we tried applying it beyond its limits. You either have a sentient being that did not himself need to be created - or you simply have a cosmos (or the potential for a big bang) that did not itself need to be created. Both concepts that jar with our obsession with causality. We each choose the alternative that seems right to us. I choose the latter. 

This is slightly too intelligent for me to grasp but I'm working on it.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

And who created God?

Great question and perhaps you won't be surprised that I don't have an answer equally as great, I've got nothing really.

My belief (which is far from concrete) would be that God is eternal and infinite. Hence all-knowing. Nothing can possibly escape God.

When I say we are God's children I mean that we are not some strangers that are afraid in a world we never made. We are creating it, in every moment. We belong.

We are the very fabric of this universe. The source of all light is the eye. The sun would not evoke light without eyes to see it. The universe experiencing itself. God's children.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

My belief (which is far from concrete) would be that God is eternal and infinite. Hence all-knowing. Nothing can possibly escape God.

When I say we are God's children I mean that we are not some strangers that are afraid in a world we never made. We are creating it, in every moment. We belong.

We are the very fabric of this universe. The source of all light is the eye. The sun would not evoke light without eyes to see it. The universe experiencing itself. God's children.

I think you should found your own religion, you've clearly got the ability to write nonsensical bullshit down to a fine art

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think you should found your own religion, you've clearly got the ability to write nonsensical bullshit down to a fine art

This has me smiling from ear to ear because it's that funny. Might be slightly embarrassing if I gave a sh**. What I wrote makes sense to me.

There's parts of the Quran and Bible that didn't make much sense to me, probably because I was lacking context and questioning the interpretation.

I got the impression that even if I understood the material correctly that it might be as you put it, nonsensical bullsh**.

I'd like to think what I wrote is true. And not in the way you have to take someone else's word for it. Maybe not haha.

• Thanks 1

Â