All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If this is true then maybe there’s a more sinister reasons why that school was chosen and it’s nothing to do with what they are teaching. 

I did hypothesise.

I wouldn't personally say sinister.

They are in the process of testing how the new Laws can and will be applied to the curriculum. That the Catholics and the Muslims (and plenty of other pigeon holes) have deep rooted issues with homosexuality is not news to anyone is it.

12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I did hypothesise.

I wouldn't personally say sinister.

They are in the process of testing how the new Laws can and will be applied to the curriculum. That the Catholics and the Muslims (and plenty of other pigeon holes) have deep rooted issues with homosexuality is not news to anyone is it.

But why trial it at a majority Muslim school when you know same sex relationships are forbidden in their religion. What did they expect would happen?

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But why trial it at a majority Muslim school when you know same sex relationships are forbidden in their religion. What did they expect would happen?

I haven't really read into it too much so the details may be sketchy but I think he worked at a christian school and was deemed a bit too progressive lets say, so he approached the government (or they approached him, I really have no idea on the how/why) when he lost his job and has been given a prominent role in shaping the new sex-ed laws.

My guess would be that having heard (and presumably somehow addressed) those issues, they might be turning their attentions to other faiths/religions.

How does one measure a community reaction? Is probably a good question.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

As a nation we have a responsibility to give all children equal access to a full education. 

Whilst I agree with the sentiment we all know it’s never going to be as simple as that with this particular issue.

edit: could you not also argue as a nation we have a responsibility to respect what parents do and don’t want their children to be taught in our schools?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Choosing a diverse school would be a good start I guess.  

It’s a tricky one. 

I'd guess the opposite.

It's going to happen. What form it takes is probably still open to discussion.

The centre ground is unlikely to be an issue. They need to engage with and gauge the response of the more extreme views on this one.

I'm not saying this is the way to do it. I'm spitballing.

5 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I'd guess the opposite.

It's going to happen. What form it takes is probably still open to discussion.

The centre ground is unlikely to be an issue. They need to engage with and gauge the response of the more extreme views on this one.

I'm not saying this is the way to do it. I'm spitballing.

They can do that but there’ll only be one outcome. 

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

edit: could you not also argue as a nation we have a responsibility to respect what parents do and don’t want their children to be taught in our schools?

We do have a process for this sort of thing that doesn't involve organising angry mobs outside of primary schools....

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m seriously struggling to understand why it has to become a nationwide law for all schools rather than by a school by school basis. Let the parents of the school vote and then teach on that basis. Simple.

You have made reference yourself to the "majority of the parents"

What about the majority of the population?

The thing for me is what is so fragile about the tenants of religions that do not preach acceptance and togetherness that they fear their opinions being held up to scrutiny?

I rile against real homogenisation but that isn't what this is. No one is trying to turn a bunch of kids into Marilyn Manson. (Apart from Marilyn Manson maybe but that's for a different thread)

Again, I'm guessing here, but I'd suspect that there's nothing to say that we couldn't re classify a few schools as faith schools and pretend it isn't there, but it wouldn't be in the spirit of the new laws around inclusivity really would it. And would it benefit the future society? Will it end up ostracising the homophobes in the same way as we have done homosexuals? How does one teach any real equality without the same rules applying to everybody equally?

53 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No. You can argue that parents have a right to teach their children what they want to OUTSIDE of school, not within it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m seriously struggling to understand why it has to become a nationwide law for all schools rather than by a school by school basis. Let the parents of the school vote and then teach on that basis. Simple.

Yes let’s reinforce the prejudices of parents. If the school were teaching that it doesn’t matter what colour skin you have, we’re all the same then the parents would rightly be castigated for being racists. What makes it so acceptable different to have these opinions about LGBT people? Why would giving parents the choice in this be the right thing to do?

These people are ill educated homophobes why should society have to put up with the nonsense they cause

We’re already seeing the effects of stupid parents with the anti vaccination bullshit and measles and other diseases becoming more prevalent again.

Parents are often wrong and should be told as much

• Like 3

That programme mooney recommended ran into this exact issue albeit around a different theme. That no matter what ideology was followed within the school gates it was rather pointless without any re-inforcement outside of school. Educating the parents is as much the point of this exercise than educating the children, if not more so because their beliefs are much more ingrained.

We are watching the Catholic Church of all things and the Pope himself really slowly dragging itself into the 21st Century on this issue but it is going to have to be carefully managed. It can't just undo all the hate and division it has been preaching for centuries.

Could be time for Bible II

th?id=OIP.7fdwxqBo-i-e4CGyFRRaSAHaHV%26p

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes let’s reinforce the prejudices of parents.

i assume you were saying the same about the parents taking their children on the Remain march last weekend   :)

29 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

i assume you were saying the same about the parents taking their children on the Remain march last weekend   :)

That's not predjudice, that's reason. 

• Like 2

Â