All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

6 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

My point was more that we are not separate from the universe, that we are a part of it. As is everything.

Everything is part of the quantum field so  yes.  Whether the field can "learn" from its own activities is an interesting question.

56 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

we need to believe that everything needs a beginning and end. 

I've always liked the theory that the death of our universe kickstarts the beginning  of another one in an infinite cycle.  One unit of energy expanding and contracting and reality is the pattern from the waves caused by this to and fro. 

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

The cycle of expansion and contraction is my favourite theory on the universe's creation. A never ending series of rapid expansion collapsing back to a singularity and so on.

I've seen a video from Dr Penrose that says something along the lines of there not being a need for a contraction. Basically once the universe is nothing more than energy again then size is irrelevant . It may as well be considered the size of a pea because there's nothing to measure it against, if that makes sense.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chindie said:

There's not enough likes.

This kind of scares me, if I'm honest. Mainly because I'm so uncertain about it all.

Here you have someone with a public platform putting words of a derogatory nature into the mouth of someone else, and people are championing it?

What about healthy loving heterosexual families? Are they not fundamental to society? Are these parents not trusted to nurture their children as they see fit?

Before anyone calls me homophobic, like in the above post, two of my closest friends were/are gay. One I've known for over a decade, the other for nearly two.

Our friendships going the distance because of affinity and acceptance of one another, even with our differences.

• Like 1

You do realise these classes aren't about scissoring and bumming?  It's letting them know that same sex couples are a thing.

Probably helpful when little Johnny comes to class talking about his two Daddies.

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

You do realise these classes aren't about scissoring and bumming?  It's letting them know that same sex couples are a thing.

Probably helpful when little Johnny comes to class talking about his two Daddies.

Caught an interview where Diane Abbott was sharing her views on the subject and she said it's all really quite dull and mild stuff really. She said the most interesting thing that happens is the kids get to put a condom on a banana.

I couldn't help thinking that probably doesn't happen in junior school and probably didn't help the argument.

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Social services removing Johnny from his parent(s) is a thing too. As is Johnny with a single parent, for a variety of reasons.

Education on mental illness doesn't commence until the age of 16, when the psychology class becomes available.

Do we need a feminist class for young girls under the age of 12?

I just don't understand the hype around homosexuality and also the disdain for religion.

There's various sources that tell you that nowhere in the bible does it speak against homosexuality.

Apparently there are roughly 6 passages regarding homosexuality that are misinterpreted and taken out of context in the entirety of the bible.

33 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Caught an interview where Diane Abbott was sharing her views on the subject and she said it's all really quite dull and mild stuff really. She said the most interesting thing that happens is the kids get to put a condom on a banana.

I couldn't help thinking that probably doesn't happen in junior school and probably didn't help the argument.

That's standard year 7 sex ed.  Although in our school Mr Johnson filled in the for the banana.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Can you explain what you mean by 'hype'?

Sure.

I attended a rally for the homeless sometime last year. It was not short of promotion and advertisement.

When I arrived, to my disappointment, there was a handful of people there signing a petition with one of the organisers.

There were more homeless present than supporters present. I signed the petition and left a bit surprised.

Literally two minutes into my way home, I am met by thousands of people rallying for same sex marriage rights.

They closed down the main street of Melbourne with their protest.

That sort of thing. Do you see my point? It was a massive focus, if not focal point, in a recent federal election here.

$122 million of tax payer dollars were pumped into the whole plebiscite on same sex marriage.

14 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Sure.

I attended a rally for the homeless sometime last year. It was not short of promotion and advertisement.

When I arrived, to my disappointment, there was a handful of people there signing a petition with one of the organisers.

There were more homeless present than supporters present. I signed the petition and left a bit surprised.

Literally two minutes into my way home, I am met by thousands of people rallying for same sex marriage rights.

They closed down the main street of Melbourne with their protest.

That sort of thing. Do you see my point? It was a massive focus, if not focal point, in a recent federal election here.

$122 million of tax payer dollars were pumped into the whole plebiscite on same sex marriage.

Thanks.

@chrisp65 answer pretty much covered everything I would have replied with.

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

1. Homosexuality is completely natural and not based on choice.  Religion is a man made construct based on no facts whatsoever (even contradicted by many facts) and is often used to brainwash children.

2. What is the context though?  Some take it literally some don't.  There's no guide to say which way you're meant to take it.

1. Even if it is a choice, go ahead. Everybody is getting around the homosexuality bandwagon. Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal. Does Muhammad (not the prophet, the kid in Gaza) choose his Muslim heritage? Could you say that in teaching same sex marriage you are brainwashing children? It certainly wouldn't be a popular statement.
  2. I could post an article if you are interested in this. The word 'homosexuality' didn't show up in translations of the bible until 1946 apparently. Further to this, there is over 2000+ bible verses on poverty. On the rich and poor. And yet, all anyone wants to talk about these days are six Bible verses that “condemn homosexuality.”

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You can't rank good causes, you push on all fronts and see where you make progress.

Rights and equality aren't 'hyped' they've just currently got the zeitgeist. There's also quite often more overlap between causes, more connectivity. How many homeless have left 'home' because of their sexuality and trouble being accepted for who they are.

You cannot fix homelessness and only then move on to FGM and only then move on to saving the environment.

Just do your bit for the causes that do it for you. 

I like the spirit of 'pushing on all fronts'. However I find it a bit hard to believe you don't prioritise your time and goals.

What's more important, the local basketball teams fundraiser, or 20% of the Middle East living on $2 or less a day?

What does the emergency department address first, A'Villan's broken finger or chrisp65 who's potentially about to lose his life?

In a survey done by the organisation I volunteer for, over 70% of Melbourne's homeless reported sexual abuse as a child.

So yes there is no doubt some issues around sexuality and identity prevalent among those members of the community.

Â