All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think all this is good. It’s good to have faith and a belief. While I’m not remotely religious myself I kind of envy those that are. 

This is where I’m at. I am religious in certain ways, I have a bible, I believe that there is an higher power and I believe in the power of Christ. I really wish I could be more religious and I think I’d find great comfort in that. Religion for all  its negative press has helped so many people live their life the right way, and also saved peoples lives. 

• Like 1

I find comfort that my kids believe in god. It probably won’t last, and I certainly won’t push anything on to them. Finding true religion is probably finding the true meaning of life. I want them to know that when mum or dad dies that we go to the afterlife and they will one day join us. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I find comfort that my kids believe in god. It probably won’t last, and I certainly won’t push anything on to them. Finding true religion is probably finding the true meaning of life. I want them to know that when mum or dad dies that we go to the afterlife and they will one day join us. 

I really can't pretend to even understand this train of thought

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Seriously, why is it good to have faith? faith is the absolute belief that something will happen despite the complete lack of evidence for it occurring? Why is believing that a good thing?

I have faith that Villa will get back into the Premier league  … is this a good or a bad thing? Who cares? But to be fair my faith has been upgraded to a belief again.

But more to a general set of points:

• I don't know how to believe in the literal truth of Norse gods.
  • Ditto for Roman and Greek gods. Plus there are a whole bunch of historic gods that could be included.
  • Why would I believe that an angel came to a lady two thousand years ago and foretold of some sort of immaculate conception that would result in a child made by god? I gather whether this child is actually god is up for debate depending on whether one is Christian or Muslim. 
  • In either case what is the evidence that god actually cares about me? I see none.
  • What would make believe in some god that set the ball rolling and buggered off?

Just some questions and observations.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Seriously, why is it good to have faith? faith is the absolute belief that something will happen despite the complete lack of evidence for it occurring? Why is believing that a good thing?

Hell that shit leads to Brexit

Teaching our kids critical thinking would be far more beneficial (to them and society as a whole) than filling their heads with some brand of "faith"

Faith is the enemy of rational thought

Why you'd envy that is beyond my powers of comprehension, to be honest

I just feel it’s a state of mind that helps a lot of people get by in life, especially those less fortunate than some.

I’ve seen people live in extreme poverty yet still have smiles on their faces and are content with life. They have a belief in a higher power and it seems to get them by.  Neither rational thought or blind faith will feed their kids but the latter seems to help them more. I don’t think that’s a bad thing whether we agree with it or not. 

In terms of envying people I probably should have tried to explain this better.

I’ve been bought up around a very small religion that I think is amazing and was way ahead of its time. For a medevil religion to teach genders equality and there is no such as thing as caste and class etc was groundbreaking. (Stuff that’s the norm now).

Those that practise it are some of the most amazing people i have ever come across.

Its probably that religion and those people that I envy.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I'd view blind faith and puritanical atheism as equally poor life choices.

Maybe but i think the most important thing would be that people of both life choices respect the choice of others. 

In many cases it’s not faith or lack of faith that is the issue. It’s having a problem with people that do not think the same way that is.

8 hours ago, bickster said:

I really can't pretend to even understand this train of thought

It’s my belief that there is an afterlife like it’s your belief there isn’t. I really don’t think I’m bat crazy to believe in that. I also don’t think it does anyone any harm to believe in that.

I think Vive makes a good point about people having nothing apart from their belief in God. There is good and bad in religion, but to live a life dedicated to God and be absolutely with ease with that is a very special thing imo . 

• Like 1

I think if you believe there are seven virgins waiting for you in the afterlife, that can be a harmful for others.

As can thinking the individual doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, so we'll just divert this sea and the locals can **** off it's all a numbers game.

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think if you believe there are seven virgins waiting for you in the afterlife, that can be a harmful for others.

As can thinking the individual doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, so we'll just divert this sea and the locals can **** off it's all a numbers game.

Yes this is when things get dangerous.  Extreme interpretations of certain teachings.  What can you do hey?

One of the things that irk me the most is we are meant to spend our lives worshipping and obeying this all knowing creator and his completely unreasonable demands.

God made us with all these natural urges and we're meant to suppress them to keep him happy. 

But he loves you ya know.  That's why he's always watching you wank.

Life is about making mistakes. No one expects us to be perfect. Learning from mistakes and trying to be a good person. You don’t have to be religious in order to learn and live a happy life, and be a good person. Each to their own . 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Shouldn’t the schools take note of the concerns of majority of the parents?  

Yes.

Should they be given credence if they aren't deemed legitimate? All I've heard from them so far is nonsensical stuff about "British Values" and "Confusing the Children". One of the placards read "Education not indoctrination" and no, there was no hint of irony.

If they don’t want something taught in the school they send their children to then they are well within their right to voice their concerns about it. Maybe they should have a vote on the issue.

If the school doesn’t change their stance or they lose the vote and they feel that passionate about it the should move their kid to another school.

Perhaps if their concern was solely based around their own children's attendance it wouldn't be so bad. Let them sit it out in the dinner hall or something while a teacher explains to them that their parents insisted on them being excluded. Probably be easier to explain that than attempt to give an honest answer to why mummy and daddy are outside shouting at cars.

What about any Muslim parents and kids who may want the lessons taught? Why should their kids miss out because some classmates missed out on the parent lottery?

The DFE are 'listening' to the parents. Maybe there's a genuine discourse about tweeking the programme. This guy seems to have ruffled a few christian feathers before linking up with the DFE, and it seems he/they may have specifically targeted a 99% Muslim school for this trial. So there's an element of they knew something was coming. Perhaps this has an element of data collection about it, in terms of community response, before the new sex-ed stuff is rolled out (I think in 2020?) nationwide. Perhaps not. But it's normally what trials are about.

How engaged have the Muslim community been up until this point? Is there an element of needing/wanting to trigger a response to open a real discourse? Genuine questions though, I don't know. As genuine as acknowledging there's more than an element of antogonism for the NIMBY parents to content with that seems very real.

As far as I understand it there's not an over-abundance of Faith School places and the national curriculum is about to change so moving kids to other schools might work for individuals who can afford it, but not much of a back-up plan if there are going to be riots about it. As this probably shows, it's the first time people have really heard about it.

Schools in Manchester have been contacted by parents who read the news in Birmingham and organised against it, Only it's not being trialed there though is it :D

In 2017, the government announced a radical overhaul of sex and relationship education and announced that children would be taught about healthy adult relationships from the age of four, with sex education made compulsory in all secondary schools. However, faith schools would still be allowed to teach “in accordance with the tenets of their faith”.

One parent, who wanted to remain anonymous and has a primary-age child at William Hulme grammar, said some parents had handed out letters on Friday urging others to sign a petition against the new sex education lessons. A WhatsApp group, which has almost 250 members, has called for protests at primary schools across the region and for parents to withdraw their children.

The parent said: “The WhatsApp group has been quite militant. It has been handled well at William Hulme’s, with the headteacher having meetings with parents, but there are lots of other schools."

“These are just regular sex education lessons – they are not like No Outsiders – but because of Birmingham they have heard that this is in the pipeline and it’s got totally blown out of proportion. Some of them don’t want their children taught about sex at all, but the main thing they are worried about is LGBT. Some people don’t want their kids being taught that it is OK to be gay.”

Guardian

And there it is. Same old Homophobia.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

This guy seems to have ruffled a few christian feathers before linking up with the DFE, and it seems he/they may have specifically targeted a 99% Muslim school for this trial. So there's an element of they knew something was coming.

If this is true then maybe there’s a more sinister reasons why that school was chosen and it’s nothing to do with what they are teaching. 

Â