General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I'm quite convinced Martinez would be an unholy disaster of an appointment.

Why?

Well as Trent noted he'd be an improvement on McLeish, but we could erect a scarecrow in the dugout and see a marked improvement so it's not saying much.

The problem with Martinez is he places style over everything. He forces his teams to play in a manner he deems appropriate even when it risks the clubs survival. Lets not forget that, despite their admittedly remarkable resurgence at the end of this season, they were shit for much of it, and they've been shit for much of his reign. And it a lot of comes down to the fact he insists on this style of football that rarely works for them. He's gotten away with it, just about, thus far, but I'm sure Wigan fans would prefer not to snatch survival from the jaws of relegation year on year and I'm convinced they would be more... comfortable if they were managed by someone with a bit of pragmatism.

He's also bought a load of rubbish in his time.

I don't think we have the players to make the most of his game style, and I think we'd be awful under him as he insisted on a style of football unsuitable for our situation. Given that we're also arguably in a rather fragile position right now (weak squad, lots of work needing doing and, you can assume, not a whole lot to fix it with), I wouldn't want to gamble on him. I think he'd have us lose and lose a lot.

No... no thanks to Martinez. I said as much last year, and I think the same now, now amount of miracle turn arounds makes me ignore the fact that his Wigan have been terrible much, much more often than not. And a lot of that is his fault - it's possible to make teams out-perform themselves, O'Neill made his career off it, but it requires simplicity and playing to the strengths you have. Martinez insists his teams play in the manner he wants, not what fits it.

Lambert is a better fit for our team imo. We have a team that doesn't suit itself to 'technical' football, a holdover from O'Neill, and Lambert can make use of that and build on it imo.

Fair points, but on that last bit: we really need to move toward a more technical game. Desperately. Time to ship out the remaining MON-era players and start afresh. Would Lambert be the man for this?

Lambert is a better fit for our team imo. We have a team that doesn't suit itself to 'technical' football, a holdover from O'Neill, and Lambert can make use of that and build on it imo.

rubbish we have Collins who is probably the closest player I have seen to Beckenbauer or Maldini. Brilliant technician

The question we should be asking is, as we are obviously in a transition period now with our squad/finances/wages etc... how much time would the fans give a new (the right) manager who steps in?

2 transfer windows? 2 seasons? 4 seasons?

I've been echoing Chindie's sentiments for a while (although he manages to put it better than I did)

Basically, I don't think we can afford the time it woudl take Martinez to successfully bed in his style.

And I also don't think the fans would have the patience to let him do it.

An improvement on McLeish for sure. But not the best option we could get in.

It's still Lambert all day long for me.

What I find interesting is that we have had our expectations lowered over the last two seasons. When Martinez's name cropped up last season, a fair few of us said a big "no thanks". This time around, I think many of us, myself included, would accept with open arms. That said, I think Lambert is a better fit.

Lambert is yet another scotsman, nothing against scottish people, but so many of the scottish managers are just dross at the end of the day, even if they were exeptional players in their time. Would go for someone with a wider horizon, maybe european. Rangnick? Was truly great at Ulm, and did well in Schalke until the expectations of the club overtook the reality. Someone Italian (they seem to be very successful in management right now- when not getting involved in betting scandals)? Spanish tippy tappy style, plus falling over alot for free kicks? Any of the so called smaller leagues would need to be poaching off a more acclaimed manager, as their standards are well below those presented in the PL.

One valuble thing that a continental manager would bring is the possibility of new scouting structures to bring in some real bargains from abroad, which could certainly be a step up from the over priced british players who are average at best ( see NRC, Knight, Collins, Hutton etc....)

Whichever way it goes, certainly some risk involved along the way, and I sincerely hope that Lerner has some kind of plan in placement (have my doubts there though), and the best of luck to them.

Havent read the rest of this thread but I can hand on heart say I would take any manager out there if it meant getting rid of Alex Mcleish. I'm talking anybody!!

That, especially now, is the type of attitude we must be guarded against.

If the chairman is ambitious enough and shows that by the finance made available then the only man for me who would sweep out the mess at our club is Rafa.

I'm quite convinced Martinez would be an unholy disaster of an appointment.

Why?

Well as Trent noted he'd be an improvement on McLeish, but we could erect a scarecrow in the dugout and see a marked improvement so it's not saying much.

The problem with Martinez is he places style over everything. He forces his teams to play in a manner he deems appropriate even when it risks the clubs survival. Lets not forget that, despite their admittedly remarkable resurgence at the end of this season, they were shit for much of it, and they've been shit for much of his reign. And it a lot of comes down to the fact he insists on this style of football that rarely works for them. He's gotten away with it, just about, thus far, but I'm sure Wigan fans would prefer not to snatch survival from the jaws of relegation year on year and I'm convinced they would be more... comfortable if they were managed by someone with a bit of pragmatism.

He's also bought a load of rubbish in his time.

I don't think we have the players to make the most of his game style, and I think we'd be awful under him as he insisted on a style of football unsuitable for our situation. Given that we're also arguably in a rather fragile position right now (weak squad, lots of work needing doing and, you can assume, not a whole lot to fix it with), I wouldn't want to gamble on him. I think he'd have us lose and lose a lot.

No... no thanks to Martinez. I said as much last year, and I think the same now, now amount of miracle turn arounds makes me ignore the fact that his Wigan have been terrible much, much more often than not. And a lot of that is his fault - it's possible to make teams out-perform themselves, O'Neill made his career off it, but it requires simplicity and playing to the strengths you have. Martinez insists his teams play in the manner he wants, not what fits it.

You really are underestimating our players and Martinez. Wigan and for that matter Swansea don’t have better squads than us. They play a simple style of possession football that our players are capable of adapting to.

These teams are not some form of English Barcelona. I suggest you watch a few of Wigan and Swansea’s games. Their players are average premiership players (at best). All they have proven is that you can play nice, neat possession football in the Premiership and get by with a squad of average players. Out squad is superior and our finances are much superior. There is no reason to believe Martinez would not be a success here.

Billic has agreed to go to Lokomotiv Moscow.

1151:

FOOTBALL

Croatia coach Slaven Bilic agrees to take charge of Russian side Lokomotiv Moscow.

The former Everton and West Ham defender will step down from his national team coaching role after Euro 2012.

BBC Sportsday Live

Don't know if this was confirmed already.

van Gaal

Rafa

Rijkaard

Quiqe Flores

the above would be my ideal shortlist

Lambert

Megson

Bruce

McCarthy

the above is probably Lerners shortlist :(