General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

There's only 1 man who can make this doom and gloom go away in an instant. We need a crowd pleaser and a passionate man who's got potential and yet has achieved something in their career so far.

That man is PAULO DI CANIO!!!!!!

It won't be a risk as I don't think any manager other than Mcleish could get us relegated, therefore anything else would be an improvement.

The fans would LOVE him. We will never love Mcleish unless he performs miracles from now on, so at the moment we have a manager who just pisses us all off and makes Villa park a horrible place to be at. What's the point? Just appoint Di Canio or a similar character with potential and we'll shut up!

The only way Lerner could contemplate keeping McLeish is if he thinks

[*:5bd544f75b] Injuries were a main cause for the results
    [*:5bd544f75b] That a 2nd season 'hitting the ground running' will improve us (i.e. continuity)
    [*:5bd544f75b] That he doesn't want to spend £4m paying Eck and £Xm buying someone else

Let's hope none of the above are true.

Imagine what Martinez could do with financial backing like Lerner can provide.

I've heard that somewhere before... I think some military guy said it... Colonel or Sargent something... not sure who he was but he disappeared quite quickly at the start of the season! Very odd. :o

Anyway. I do not believe that throwing money at a decent manager who has done well/okay with a shit team automatically transforms them into a great manager.

McLeish is probably a perfect example of this.

I agree with KHV.

half of me has hated the negative play, dour tactics and the other half (the reasonable half) is wondering if there was any other option.

Losing most of your senior players to injury and having a bunch of kids whyo aren't up to the job. Would you have goen into the games gung ho.

Maybe but I reckon if we had then we would deifnitely have been relegated this season.

i think McLeish realised we had this problem and played an organised if not exciting team strategy intended to keep us in the league this season and be in a position to rebuild next.

I think we'll see a number of more experienced players coming in on free trasnfers and small fees here and there (reasonable wages). Possibly pinching some from the relegated teams (i.e Pederson, Doyle, possibly even a Joey Barton or similar type - no protests here please these are just examples) giving the younger inexperienced players some breathign space and the chance to introduce them slowly (and not all at the same time).

I think big Eck will be given another season (or atleast until January) with a view to playing a more expansive (albeit still defensively built) type of game. He's the type of manager that builds from the back, not the front.

1. Injuries were a main cause for the results 2. That a 2nd season 'hitting the ground running' will improve us (i.e. continuity) 3. That he doesn't want to spend £4m paying Eck and £Xm buying someone else

Looking at the media's analysis of our predicament, he may very well believe all 3. Keep mentioning injuries like we've had em all season (even Eck makes it out like we've had a crisis since Jan), and discounting the fact that we were just as bad before them. Was watching Football Today and they mentioned that he would never win over the fans because he came from blues, then later show a banner from VP with "it's not where you've come from...." like it didn't completely undermine their argument. It's weird but frustrating as our naive owner might believe such notions.

I agree with KHV.

half of me has hated the negative play, dour tactics and the other half (the reasonable half) is wondering if there was any other option.

Losing most of your senior players to injury and having a bunch of kids whyo aren't up to the job. Would you have goen into the games gung ho.

But for more than half of the season, he had a full, pretty much fully fit squad. We still played the same type of football, and the results were poor. We only managed to beat Blackburn (relegated), Wigan (were in piss poor form at the time, and for a long time too. That type of form would have seen them finish bottom) & Norwich (lucky goal gave us the win, easily could have drawn).

Granted, other home games we've played well, had majority of possession and deserved to win. But you could say that about any McLeish side. They just can't convert it into goals.

1. [*:6defb32012] Injuries were a main cause for the results
    [*:6defb32012] That a 2nd season 'hitting the ground running' will improve us (i.e. continuity)
    [*:6defb32012] That he doesn't want to spend £4m paying Eck and £Xm buying someone else

all of the above will be true. Lerner has, in my mind, already decided to give McLeish the benefit of the doubt this season. Lerner is an honourable Chariman and not the type (i think) to say one thing to the manager and then do another.

From waht McLeish has been saying he has the support of Lerner and Faulkner and this season was always going to be a near miss. i don't think Lerner or Faulkner would have given him that support if they didn't mean it. i thkn he has done what he had to do (keep us in the prem) even if only just.

i don't think Lerner is the type of Chairman who chops and changes managers. don't laugh here lease, the point being that the recent managerial changes in the last few years have been enforced upon the club rather than instigated by it.

We had to buy to sell - O'Neill goes.

Houllier appointed - Houllier falls ill

Big Eck apppointed - shit season but was always going to be really tough.

We've come through it and i think we'll see McLeish here until atleast January but if performances don't improve by then, then i reckon he may be in trouble at that point.

We've come through it and i think we'll see McLeish here until atleast January but if performances don't improve by then, then i reckon he may be in trouble at that point.

I will have spent my 2 x season ticket money on something else long before January and found something else to do on match days.

I think this scenario will be repeated across a number of fans too.

I could possibly see martinez going to liverpool, if kenny leaves.. they have more money to spend than us.

Not a chance

Fenway Sports will appoint a proper manager, someone with pedigree and a track record of success

I've lost my enthusiasm for this now that it looks like McLeish will probably end up staying. It's like a "Who do you want for your next wife thread?" You can fantasise all you want but you wake up eventually beside the current model.