General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

get hughton in

good young manager with a good record and, shock horror, premiership experience. it'll also prove where mcleish came from had **** all with how he was received

At least until we lose three on the bounce. :D

get hughton in

good young manager with a good record and, shock horror, premiership experience. it'll also prove where mcleish came from had **** all with how he was received

At least until we lose three on the bounce. :D

Come off it. Very few people care about the SHA connection.

don't want anything with a SHA connection...

next manager will have a tough enough job as it is... lets not destroy his chances before he even starts...

I agree, villa fans need "our own man" so to speak, someone like martinez or rodgers.

We can`t have anyone with a dickish attitude like roy keane, or im afraid another manager coming straight from blues right after mcleish.

Brighton are a club on the up with a large catchment area and a stadium that will soon be holding 30k each and every week.

Poyet is under very little pressure there yet in championship terms, has quite abit of money to splash. Finishing from 1st to 21st he will be well supported regardless with few on his back, he has the time, space and the backing to instill his approach at that club and if the man is smart, which I think he is, he will not even consider a move this early in his managerial career to go from a position of comfort to a mountainous stretch that is the appeal of the Villa job currently.

Of course if we had money to spend, an owner that was interested and in sync with the affairs of the club and a squad that wasn't rife with, forgive my terminology, a bunch of clearings in the woods then i'm sure he, and others like him and better, could be swayed.

Personally I think Poyet would be given the time to put their approach on the club, we need a manager to grow the club. I'd given McLeish a chance to do that however, I have not seen anything in his managerial tenure here that he would move this club forward!

I still feel like getting an up-and-coming Championship manager will be the key - like Everton did with Moyes from Preston. Initial thoughts would be McDermott, Poyet etc but who knows...

I fear Eck will still be here next season :(

Although McDermott has done really well this season, I would be surprised if he could replicate that success at Villa. He's lived close to Reading man and boy, and he's practically a fixture at the club. Imo he's too old to relocate for the first time in years, and he doesn't really carry a lot of personal authority.

Poyet is a better shout, based on his philosophy of "caring for the ball" and playing attractive attacking football whenever possible. He may still be too inexperienced to fit Randys' criteria, although his reputation in the game as a player and now an emerging manager would gain him immediate respect amongst the playing squad.

It's still definitely Roberto Martinez for me, although Gus Poyet would also be an exciting but more risky appointment.

Just a question for all those championing a young up and coming manager... How long do you think they'd get if results didn't start wellbefore people on these boards start claiming we should have got somebody with more experience and that Lerner didn't know what he was doing?

The reason I ask is I assume you're all calling for said managers because of their reputation for playing decent footy, but with our squad that's not likely to wield results instantly (if at all) I'd love to see Guardiola trying to teach Collins and Dunne how to pass!!

So unless they canliterally change the majority of the playing squad, again not likely to happen, I dont think we'll see any real benefit in the first half of next season. So how long a period of grace do you think the likes of Poyet would enjoy before people start writing him off as not being up to the challenge of such a big club etc?

By the way I'm not pro or anti Poyet et al I'm just curious.

If it's a sensible appointment he will be given time and ample goodwill. If anything, he will get more than the usual because of what went before him.

Are you sure?

I'd like to think he would but what if we went and lost our first three games of the season against fairly easy opposition because his style, formation or tactics weren't working with the players?

A lot of people though, and still think, Houllier was sensible appointment yet his style failed and regardless of his health issue a number of people were calling for his head.

I guess my point is as Villa fans how do we define a sensible appointment? You might think Poyet is very sensible, the next guy might question what he's actually achieved at the top level and might be expecting failure. It seems to me that even when things are going well we're happy to have a moan, so what chance will any manager have who doesn't get off to a flying start?

If it's a sensible appointment he will be given time and ample goodwill. If anything, he will get more than the usual because of what went before him.

Agree, Any sane Villa fan does not expect top 4 or even top 6, and this is why i don't like McLeish constantly when he fails, he blames the expectation set by us, all i wanted from McLeish was to see some sort of improvement, i.e. organisation, attacking, just something to inspire but everything i thought would happen after his appointment has. He sets up not to lose and now we have the stats to back it up. He can go till he is blue in the face about injuries, injuries started to occur mid Feb onwards. Check the side against QPR or Wigan. In fact Wigan was a disgraceful performance.

Is Moyes a completely unrealistic target? Promise him bags of money say £30mil and I think we'd atleast get his attention. He has that kind of loyalty from BK now that Walter Smith had before him so I think he'd be tough to pry away. I really think we missed the boat with him last year, sadly hiring the wrong ginger scotsman.

Just a question for all those championing a young up and coming manager... How long do you think they'd get if results didn't start wellbefore people on these boards start claiming we should have got somebody with more experience and that Lerner didn't know what he was doing?

The reason I ask is I assume you're all calling for said managers because of their reputation for playing decent footy, but with our squad that's not likely to wield results instantly (if at all) I'd love to see Guardiola trying to teach Collins and Dunne how to pass!!

So unless they canliterally change the majority of the playing squad, again not likely to happen, I dont think we'll see any real benefit in the first half of next season. So how long a period of grace do you think the likes of Poyet would enjoy before people start writing him off as not being up to the challenge of such a big club etc?

By the way I'm not pro or anti Poyet et al I'm just curious.

Are you sure?

I'd like to think he would but what if we went and lost our first three games of the season against fairly easy opposition because his style, formation or tactics weren't working with the players?

A lot of people though, and still think, Houllier was sensible appointment yet his style failed and regardless of his health issue a number of people were calling for his head.

I guess my point is as Villa fans how do we define a sensible appointment? You might think Poyet is very sensible, the next guy might question what he's actually achieved at the top level and might be expecting failure. It seems to me that even when things are going well we're happy to have a moan, so what chance will any manager have who doesn't get off to a flying start?

Ive been saying the exact same thing for months mate. I think people are expecting an instant massive turnaround when we appoint a new manager. The reality is our squad isnt good enough and any manager coming in will struggle IMO.

A new manager with massive backing from the chairman is a different scenario though...

Is Moyes a completely unrealistic target? Promise him bags of money say £30mil and I think we'd atleast get his attention. He has that kind of loyalty from BK now that Walter Smith had before him so I think he'd be tough to pry away. I really think we missed the boat with him last year, sadly hiring the wrong ginger scotsman.

Yes Moyes in unrealistic now.

Youre looking, at best, at Lambert, Martinez, and probably Poyet, Hughton.