General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

I was dreaming of an OGS/Laursen partnership. That would have been something...

Be happy with Laursen and one of either Benitez/Laudrup/Poyet mind.

Lambert would be a boring, disappointing appointment.

Any football manager with an ounce of self confidence should want this job.

Randy and Faulkner have not exactly covered themselves in Glory, but to be fair to Randy he has given managers particularly O'Neill a decent bit of control.

The only conclusion I can come to is that Aston Villa Frightens some of them and if that the case they are no good for us, so by snubbing as as some see it, wwe are probably better off.

We had no better standing when Saunders took over, But perhaps He, Barton and McLaren had more confidence in them selves to make a fist of it.

PS I actually think we have been linked with some dubious candidates, who I am unsure deserve to be linked with us.

If people are backing at 1/3 with 5k blocks that's enough to tell me it's solid info.

The solid info being that the people betting 5k are idiots?

:thumb:

Exactly, I'm sure a whole bunch of users of this forum bet a ridiculous amount on OGS becoming the next manager.

Laudrup would be really good but I don't see it happening

depends - I personally think he would be interested in us if we are too. I don't think we are as bad as a proposition as some of us have made out of, and at least (as far as I know) he is "unemployed"

This discussion is about people being ITK or not. I believe people who were ITK on OGS merely jumped the gun and it bit them on the ass in the last minute. That doesn't mean they made stuff up leading up to that point. And that's the key for me. They are still privvy to ITK stuff. They just should've held off on the '100% done' posts while it was still only 'highly likely'.

Spot on BOF, even Gazton was sure it was OGS....He also still thought it would be him when the papers were saying he is staying at Molde because he didn't want to move his family.

So something must have been said to all these ITK's to make them sure he was coming to Villa.

If I may fight my corner for a moment..

Personally, I hate the term "ITK". I don't claim to be "in the know". What I can say, with confidence, is that I hear stories from someone very much at the heart of AVFC. When this person tells me something, I make a very conscious decision to remove the emotion from what this person is telling me and then, if appropriate, report as much fact as possible to VT.

My history of these kinds of stories is, if I may say so, pretty strong. I don't remember exactly how much I've told VT but this person was spot on about the timing of Richard Dunne and Stephen Ireland signing for AVFC. He was spot on, so I said "Welcome Richard", and he was also spot on about the delay to RD signing on deadline day. When all around us were wringing their hands about the registration forms being delayed, he was absolutely confident that it was done on time and that was borne out.

With the Stephen Ireland deal, I told VT "Welcome Stephen" when it was complete and confirmed hours before it was made official. I was confident enough to do this because he rang me and physically put SI on the phone to me.

With all the upheaval of Gerard Houllier, I was privy to a lot of the internal strife. I took as much of the emotion out of it as possible and report back. Any emotion I added in was my own, and I was feeling a lot of different emotions about the whole Houllier situation.

With Darren Bent's signing, I heard about it after MYSTERYMAN (I think) but there are 2 people on this board who I met for a pint and to watch a match on TV. Tony and Paul will vouch for me, they knew about DB signing before it was even a sniff of a news story.

As for OGS, I was told that it was done. My source (another phrase I hate) had been told it was done. For me to come on here and say "Welcome Ole" wasn't a tough decision given the track record of this guy's information.

For one reason or another, it didn't work out. I don't yet know why, I will hopefully find out eventually what happened. If it's appropriate, I'll pass on that information too.

There's been many times I have heard news and chosen not to tell VT about it. We don't need to know it, and putting it into the public domain would do a lot more harm than good. It would also lead a very definite trail back to the source of the information, so I keep it to myself. That will continue, as will any bits of relevant news that I pass on.

Am I embarrassed about being wrong? Not in the slightest. I give info on here in good faith. What anybody does after that info, or how they choose to bet their money based on what some bloke on the internet says, is up to them.

If people don't want to believe me, that's their right. I absolutely accept that "some bloke on the internet" is more likely to be a spoofer than a genuine conduit of information. Just don't call me a liar, I don't like that :)

Well said Gazton, you can't always be 100% about things as they do change without you knowning but, I'll always trust what you and MM have to say. I would never say either of you have got something wrong, it's just that things change.

Laudrup was one of the greatest players ever, is a much more established coach than OGS (He got Getafe playing VERY attractive football and they got far in the Uefa Cup) and would be a great choice.

I am 99.99% certain that we aren't after Martinez and never were (this time around).

Interesting. Who do you think we are after? I like the look of Laudrup.

I know we contacted FSW, and Klinsmann but they were always going to be longshots. Klinsmann VERY unlikely...and FSW-depends on how desperate he is to get back into coaching.

I can see it being someone not previously contemplated tbh. Laudrup would be great!! It would be a statement of intent and the fans would forget about the OGS snub (if we even got to the point of offering him the job in the first place)!!

The good news is that whoever we appoint will be an improvement. Provided we don't name MM, Bruce, McClaren etc...most fans will be happy.

Laudrup or anyone who has had success managing in LaLiga appeals to me.