General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

To be honest if we are providing the new manager with significant funds I wouldn't expect Martinez to be appointed manager. He's obviously the kind of guy you want to work on a limited budget.

I think Lerner has realised that to get anywhere in this league you have to spend big.. Now I'm not saying you have to spend £100 million ever summer like Man City do, but £40-£50 million spent wisely can get you Top 4, once you are there Champions League and Sky Sports money helps with the rest..

To be honest if we are providing the new manager with significant funds I wouldn't expect Martinez to be appointed manager. He's obviously the kind of guy you want to work on a limited budget.

If he can keep Wigan up on limited funds then think what he could do with a good budget behind him. I for one am excited for this, hope it comes off. Would prefer him to Rogers

Its why i always thought Moyes wasnt as bad a bet as everyone made out. RL is always going to have to provide a sh1t load of money to rebuild the team no matter who comes in. If he didnt he wouldnt be protecting his investiment

I'm not someone who posts much, but I read VT constantly, I was really hoping that Rogers was holding out for us, after initially refusing the plop, I think he's a better manager than RM, just a feeling, no real proof, although any of you out there who have to recruit managers, will no what I mean. But, if we can't get him I'm happy with RM, although, I can see Randy getting upset that he has spoken to the reds... Still away to go I reckon!

Remember this is the same press who were telling us the other day that RM was going to Liverpool.

Would be funny though if Martinez had told the Scallys to do one!

Why?

think what he could do with a good budget behind him.
I remember where I heard that last...

Kidding, I think Martinez would do a good job. :)

Why?

Dunno, just think they would go for a big name if they were planning to spend money.

Would be over the moon to see Martinez but it would take time to teach this villa team how to put more than two pass's together. Houllier found that out the hard way.

Maybe he won't have to teach it. Maybe he can get rid of the lame-o(s) that dont have the skill set and bring in a couple that do. The young guys can all pass. The hoofers just hoof. They are easy to spot.

It's not a case of spending 20 million on 1 or 2 marquee signings. We have a whole squad to rebuild after the shit MON left behind. You could say regardless of funds available due to the number of players we need it would still be a tight budget if that makes sense.

Given the difference in style between what Martinez plays and what our squad is currently used to, I'd say the best chance Martinez would have of succeeding is by being given a good budget to work with so he can bring in his own kind of players. More so than most other managers. So IF Martinez gets it, I would really hope he'd be given a (cliché alert) war chest.

think what he could do with a good budget behind him.
I remember where I heard that last...

Kidding, I think Martinez would do a good job. :)

Why?

Dunno, just think they would go for a big name if they were planning to spend money.

Big name like Villa Boas? Btw what happened to that link? Linked to an Italian team or French team? That Villa link died quick

Given the difference in style between what Martinez plays and what our squad is currently used to, I'd say the best chance Martinez would have of succeeding is by being given a good budget to work with so he can bring in his own kind of players. More so than most other managers. So IF Martinez gets it, I would really hope he'd be given a (cliché alert) war chest.
Good point.

It is in The Mirror and "significant funds for signings" makes me wonder how much of this is speculation rather than a scoop. If Liverpool are going for the Swansea manager it may be that Martinez is looking to "consider us" as he did last season and then once again be wooed by his current chairman and turn us down if he was made an offer by us after Whelan has got his digs in again. I would be very happy for this to come off and it does represent a "twist and a turn" :winkold: but I would not want to lose other potential targets such as Lambert because they might then see they are our third or lower choices so I would look to be sure Martinez was serious about taking the job under the terms he will be asked to work before we show our hand again. It als looks like Rodney Marsh has ruled himself out of contention with his comment. :lol:

Whilst all roads point to Martinez I have a feeling it might not be him.

This is a Villa manager search and we have never gone for the obvious choice yet...