Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

Lamberts best work has been done in the championship and league 1

He needs to do more at top level before he gets a big job IMHO

Are you Randy Lerner? Experience at the top level doesn't mean they'd be good for our club. You gotta look at what we got and what we are going to have in terms of finances and find the best man for the job. Lambert has done things the old fashioned way, he has worked his way up the leagues in remarkable fashion. As a player he has won the champions league with Dortmund and played under one of the managing greats. I think he would suffice!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see him successfully manage Norwich for another season

I would say that he’s done a pretty damn decent job at Norwich in the premiership.

I don’t think we can be choosers over who will come, yes we are a big job, but more of the mess we are in, then the size of our club. I think he would be able to cope with the ‘pressure’ at Villa and build us back up.

He’s not the only manager Villa should consider, but I ve wanted him at Villa for a long time, and he’s not done anything that would say we shouldn’t make him our manager. Of course he may consider us as not the right career move...

While I think that Lambert would be a fine choice, my favourite (of those likely) remains Martinez, may take longer to click, but Aston Villa have plenty of players that would work instantly in his mould. Bannan, Ireland, Bent, N'Zog, Albrighton (if he can start firing again) would all thrive, we shall see.

EDIT: Also Makoun.

Up and Coming

Lambert

Martinez

Rodger

Poyet

Established

Bruce

Curbishley

Benitez

Dark Horse

Kevin Macdonald

All of the established have question marks over them. Curbs has been out of the game for years now. Benitez is a cheque book manager - Bruce just lack imagination

Martinez doesn't convince me - Rodgers I believe will wait for spurs - Lambert does have some track record of making lesser name players perform. I do wonder how he would cope at a bigger club - but he heas earnt the right to be given a chance.

I must admitt I don't see a massive upturn in our fortunes - if the next manager has to use the 'kids' and replace the ageing pro's with little clout in the transfer market.

Maybe he can do more at the top level with Villa - Then a big club could offer him a big job.

Seriously, this isnt that big of a club, this isnt that big of a job. Nobody decent wants it. Nobody decent ever wants it. Thats why the candidate list is always - in the most part - full of shite managers, and why we nearly always end up with a shite manager. Martin O'Neill is the biggest name we have attracted and whilst hes close to being a top manager (and is always linked with top jobs), he never gets them and will always end up at A struggling Villa or Sunderland!

Maybe he can do more at the top level with Villa - Then a big club could offer him a big job.

Seriously, this isnt that big of a club, this isnt that big of a job. Nobody decent wants it. Nobody decent ever wants it. Thats why the candidate list is always - in the most part - full of shite managers, and why we nearly always end up with a shite manager. Martin O'Neill is the biggest name we have attracted and whilst hes close to being a top manager (and is always linked with top jobs), he never gets them and will always end up at A struggling Villa or Sunderland!

The reason O'Neill ended up at Sunderland is down the the way he left Villa. Had he, or any manager, been delivering top 6 at VP you can bet that we wouldn't be in danger of losing him to 14 of the 20 clubs in the PL.

A good and successful Villa manager is only likely to leave for a City / Utd / Plop type club. Same with our best players - we don't lose them to Newcastle, Everton, Sunderland type clubs, they go to City or Utd type clubs. Yet we could still get DB in his pomp from the Mackems.

One gash season does not make us small time. Don't forget we are the fifth highest points scorers of all time in the PL.

Poyet / Martinez / Lambert would all be great IMO.

The reason O'Neill ended up at Sunderland is down the the way he left Villa

I think people noticed the way he allowed the club to burn out from March onwards every year too... Suggested he wasn't quite sustainable higher up the league.

The reason O'Neill ended up at Sunderland is down the the way he left Villa. Had he, or any manager, been delivering top 6 at VP you can bet that we wouldn't be in danger of losing him to 14 of the 20 clubs in the PL.

A good and successful Villa manager is only likely to leave for a City / Utd / Plop type club. Same with our best players - we don't lose them to Newcastle, Everton, Sunderland type clubs, they go to City or Utd type clubs. Yet we could still get DB in his pomp from the Mackems.

One gash season does not make us small time. Don't forget we are the fifth highest points scorers of all time in the PL.

Poyet / Martinez / Lambert would all be great IMO.

Not saying we are small time, just saying we are not of a stature whereby we have a pick of good managers wanting to come. How many mouth watering managers have been actually linked with Villa in the last 20 years?

The top managers don't want to come to a team that if you add up the last 20 years, would be 5th in the league. Last time I looked, the team finishing fifth wins **** all over 1 season, never mind 20 seasons.

Thats why we should jump at the chance to get a potentially top manager like the ones you have suggested and not act like the majority did when we were linked with Martinez in the summer - (like he was beneath us). Not that the fans attitude has much say in the matter anyway.

The reason O'Neill ended up at Sunderland is down the the way he left Villa

I think people noticed the way he allowed the club to burn out from March onwards every year too... Suggested he wasn't quite sustainable higher up the league.

Absolutely right. My point wasn't so much about the pros and cons of O'Neill and his penchant for racking up depreciating stock, but rather that we would never in danger of losing him to any other PL club barring one of the top 5 or 6 teams.

Ok, O'Neill might be a poor example as my point isn't about him, it's about the Vill job is one of the biggest in the league. Successful Villa managers and players only have 5 or maybe 6 clubs available to them if they're making a genuine step up. We're still a big draw even after season's gashorama.

Not saying we are small time, just saying we are not of a stature whereby we have a pick of good managers wanting to come. Including. How many mouth watering managers have been actually linked with Villa in the last 20 years?

The top managers don't want to come to a team that if you add up the last 20 years, would be 5th in the league. Last time I looked, the team finishing fifth wins **** all over 1 season, never mind 20 seasons.

Thats why we should jump at the chance to get a potentially top manager like the ones you have suggested and not act like the majority did when we were linked with Martinez in the summer - (like he was beneath us). Not that the fans attitude has much say in the matter anyway.

It's hard to say what clubs can and cannot attract a top manager, or even what constitutes a 'top manager' in the first place.

Obviously Chelsea can and have. United and Arsenal haven't needed to look but they will be able to pick from the best. Incidentally neither their managers came from big clubs.

Spurs took a big name foreign manager and he was awful. They then went to Pompey to find their replacement. Rumour has it they'll look to Swansea to replace him.

The Plop took Woy and then Kenny, and they're a bigger club than us.

Managers are a funny one. There are only a mere handful of World beaters - your Mourhino, Fergie, Pep types. Not many clubs in the wold can get these.

Then there's your big reputation crew, that are not necessarily always successful, Ranieri, Rijkaard, Big Phil. These come at a price and are available to a wider net, but you can bet that they will get replaced by a lesser name who will be more successful.

With a manager they all have to start somewhere, but it's all about being the right fit for the club, not the size of the reputation. 'Arry at Spuds, Moyes at Everton, Pardew (perhaps) at Newcastle. For me, Martinez / Lambert / Poyet would be a nice fit at Villa.

When we next have a new manager to appoint it will be a tough ask for anyone unless money is to be made available (which I doubt will happen - as most of us felt that there would be money available last summer given the sales we made and particularly when we then appointed Big Eck but it did not happen). So without money our choice will be more limited than it was last time as we would be seen as relegation candidates next season if we do stay up this time. With money the situation would change as it would take very little for a manager to improve on this season's performances and league place so prospective managers would be more tempted to take us on.

As things stand now we have little chance of getting Martinez, Lambert, Adkins or Rodgers as they may not see us as a much better prospect than where they already are without the pressures that our job would give them. The same would apply but much more so to the likes of Bilic, Villas-Boas or Rafa.

So I guess we would be left with managers who are out of a job or whose stock has fallen this season or who are outside the PL such as Bruce, Poyet, Holloway, Sven, Coyle and di Matteo for example. Poyet would be my choice of those as he seems like Lambert an up and coming manager but he is one who has yet to get to the PL with the club he is at and so may be more up for it should an offer be made.

Just read this about Martinez - don't know the authenticity but still - he could be free'd up this summer for us.

http://m.skysports.com/article/football/7715019

"He's doing a magnificent job," Whelan told the BBC. "I've always said Roberto will go to one of the top clubs in Europe and when that time comes he will leave Wigan with my blessing.

"He's just a brilliant manager and he will get one of the top jobs in Europe.

"I don't want to lose Roberto but it is inevitable he will climb the ladder."

I don't think he's talking about us, somehow.

Yeah doing well with Villa would be a great way to show he can do well at the top level before he gets a bigger job.