Black Ops 2

kurtsimonw

gMYm1.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Respawn guys do. Specially be it on next generation consoles. I think COD may come a bit unstuck when it hits next-gen... what more can they really do with it?

Do they go down the route of huge maps, more players and vehicles such as BF? Or do they keep pumping out small intimate maps for about 20 players forever?

The idea that it's 'always the same' doesn't really make sense to me. People enjoy the way CoD is and there's no need to change it. If people got bored of things being the same, sports sims wouldn't exist by now.

Franchises rise and fall though, especially when the console generation changes. Things that look untouchable on one generation of consoles often fall away to mid tier status on the next generation of machines. Just look at Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Medal of Honor, Tomb Raider (etc).

The sports sim comparison is bogus too because there is always the love of the sport to keep people coming back to the game. FPS will probably be big on the new consoles, I wouldnt assume it will be Call of Duty dominating again, the people who made the tech that game runs on have long since left Infinity Ward and huge question marks hang over what the current people making the game will do when they are required to do something more than update other peoples ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

I've watched a few videos of multiplayer gameplay and really can't see what the fuss is about. 5 years ago yeah, it was fantastic. But the whole run around a corner, aim, spray, run around another corner, aim, die etc etc is just incredibly tedious....

Not for me anymore unfortunately.

I still think MW2 was the best game in the series. They might have made MW3 in the offices that Infinity Ward used to use, but it wasnt really Infinity Ward who made the game was it?

I think MW2 had the best maps, but Black Ops the beter gameplay. If you could combine the two, it would be awesome. MW3 sucked balls compared to them both.

MW2 is the only one where the multiplayer grabbed me at all, but even then I only played it casually and that basically meant I was never going to do any good with it. Wasn't helped by it being extremely exploitable - balance being off in some cases, quickscoping... but it was fun despite that.

The Treyarch stuff never grabbed me - I've played WAW and Black Ops, and no doubt at some point I'll play Black Ops 2, but they always, always felt like the second cousin to the Infinity Ward games. It's notable that that feeling extended to MW3 - as Rev says, it might have Infinity Ward on the cover but that was not a game that had the polish and feel that the games before it had.

Saying that, I don't really care for the series any more. It's just a franchise now, an industrial project churned out, it has no charm and is kinda coming to represent a lot of everything that is going wrong with gaming. Banging out a yearly franchise with miniscule changes and it selling millions, while other things are left to die and others chasing the buck rip it off (see the woeful Medal of Honor: Warfighter for the latest crack at it).

MW2 was terrible, but kept me playing for a few days gametime. The whole online was grenades, rockets, 360 sniper no scopes off ladders. The Kill streaks meant the rich get richer. Once you got a predator you pretty much sit in a corner and let the Harrier get a pavelow/chopper gunner. Overall the online was a cluster ****, but i was hooked.

I haven't played MW2 for years and i gave it ago the other night and i just can't adapt to that gameplay anymore. When i think back to how much fun i used to have on COD 2 with a few mates years ago, it saddens me that this game was so great, but now it's all about turning out a game every year and not making it as good as it could be.

Yeah towards the end of MW2 it was unplayable and too far easily exploited. I had a friend who regularly went over 60/70 kills on domination using the Danger cose/One Man Army/Noob tube kit. He barely moved all game, just fired noob mortars into the air.

Black Ops is the best of the bunch by a distance for me, notably because the quickscoping was practically none-existant - a problem all the IW games had.

Realising a couple of days ago just how little I'm looking forward to this game, my first thoughts towards it were 'there goes another £45' I'm just not interested for some reason, and I've played other CoD's (aside from MW3) to death. I'm going to get it because of zombies and everybody else will be playing it but, I'd happily not get it too.

This time next week I shall be waiting rather impatiently for the postman to arrive! I've got the Tuesday and Wednesday off work so I think it's safe to say that this game will be getting absolutely hammered over those two days! The mrs won't be too pleased (especially when next weekend rolls around and I abandon other arrangements to stay at home and play this instead) but she knows the drill when I'm in geek mode!

Usually I'll make the effort, but my brother pre-ordered it in Sutton and works there so I'll wait until he gets home at 6:30. In previous years there's no way I'd wait that long. Hopefully the lesser expectation will mean I can enjoy it more. Last year was a disaster with MW3.

See, I'm split on my MW3 experience. Part of me thinks it was average due to the majority of the maps being shit but the other part of me thinks it was alright. I have got a total score of 10.2 million and I have got over 100,000 kills which would probably make people think that I love the game but if it wasn't for my mates I wouldn't have played it half as much! Playing in a "clan" with mates is funny, especially as we all have headsets. It's good banter. There's no way that I'd be able to enjoy multiplayer if none of my mates played.

I do think the maps were a killer for it. I didn't like the insane speed in which you would die/could kill, felt too easy to spray and pray. But the tiny poor maps with the way the game spawned made it a mess.

Playing with mates is the way to go though, definitely.

Â