Weekends football 14/16

andykeenan

article-2130148-129C99C7000005DC-858_634x338.jpg

Is it me or does that look over from that pic

Not conclusive enough to say the whole ball was over the line.

line.JPG

Not conclusive, I know.

It would be if the ball was on the ground, but it's probably still in mid-air - and if you compare the position of the ball to the upright of the goalpost, you maybe think again.

Needs a camera looking down from the crossbar, really.

That ball is nowhere near over the line in those pictures. Its above the line. The angle of the shot creates an illusion but if there was any doubt the ref should not have awarded the goal.

Yeah to be fair it is the angle of the picture that makes it look more over than it is.

I don't think it's over.

However, it's a lot closer than you'd think given the uproar over it. You can't really have a go at the ref for that, especially given the amount of bodies in there.

Well gioven it was 1-0, and not conclusive, and in doubt, and the linesman was not giving it(?) I certainly think you can have the ref for not giving it.

However, the Cech decision is spot on, he didn't deny a clear goalscoring opportunity, they scored from it.

You can't really have a go at the ref for that, especially given the amount of bodies in there.

Of course you can. You only give it if you're sure. The default decision is 'no goal'. His default decision was 'yes'. And it was 1-0 at the time, and Spurs scored a few minutes afterwards. Those saying it's minor because the final score was 5-1 are - well I don't know if they're being serious or whether they're saying it with tongue firmly in cheek because that logic simply doesn't fly. At 1-1 it's a completely different game. Spurs aren't chasing the game any more and they don't leave gaps at the back. Atkinson is a known Chelsea advocate. Fergie pulled him up on it before and rather than be charged, the FA just made it so that Atkinson didn't ref a United game for 14 months.

Well gioven it was 1-0, and not conclusive, and in doubt, and the linesman was not giving it(?) I certainly think you can have the ref for not giving it.

However, the Cech decision is spot on, he didn't deny a clear goalscoring opportunity, they scored from it.

Yeah but if like the offside rule you use Phase 1 and Phase 2 of play then technically he did.

He denied it for Phase 1, they scored it in Phase 2.

You can't really have a go at the ref for that, especially given the amount of bodies in there.

Of course you can. You only give it if you're sure. The default decision is 'no goal'. His default decision was 'yes'. And it was 1-0 at the time, and Spurs scored a few minutes afterwards. Those saying it's minor because the final score was 5-1 are - well I don't know if they're being serious or whether they're saying it with tongue firmly in cheek because that logic simply doesn't fly. At 1-1 it's a completely different game. Spurs aren't chasing the game any more and they don't leave gaps at the back. Atkinson is a known Chelsea advocate. Fergie pulled him up on it before and rather than be charged, the FA just made it so that Atkinson didn't ref a United game for 14 months.

But what I'm saying is he might have been "sure". That photo proves that angles can make it look different. From where he was he might have been sure that it was over. Doesn't mean he's right.

You can say he's made a mistake, obviously he has. But what I mean is it shouldn't be made out to be some ridiculously awful decision when we can see from there that it was really close.

You can say he's made a mistake, obviously he has. But what I mean is it shouldn't be made out to be some ridiculously awful decision when we can see from there that it was really close.

But it was an awful decision because he simply couldn't have been certain it crossed the line.

At best he guessed which makes it a terrible decision to have made.

But it was an awful decision because he simply couldn't have been certain it crossed the line.

At best he guessed which makes it a terrible decision to have made.

Do you know that?

Surely you have to be sure on every decision you make as a ref?

I'm not saying it isn't a bad decision. It's a wrong decision.

But maybe the ref did "know" it was over the line. Again, that doesn't mean he isn't wrong.

And is that the default? The ref has to be sure it has crossed the line to give a goal?

Or does he have to be sure it hasn't crossed the line to not give a goal?

Or is it neither and he has to use his judgement to make a decision on whether it has or not?

That's a genuine question by the way. I'd like to know the official rule on it.

And is that the default? The ref has to be sure it has crossed the line to give a goal?

Or does he have to be sure it hasn't crossed the line to not give a goal?

It is the default for any decision hence the adage that if you're not sure you can't give it - whether that be a penalty, a goal or anything else.

Obviously the degree of 'awful' depends on the consequence. It's not 'awful' to give a corner where it should've been a goalkick. It's wrong but shit happens. But giving a goal is not quite on that level. You really have to be sure it's a goal. The flipside to that is that if it had been a goal that he didn't give, there would be much less of a furore. Yes there would be discussion and the talk of video evidence would come up, but the ref would not be getting as much stick because it would have been understandable and it would have been a prudent decision using the logic that if you're not sure you can't give it. But to give it when it isn't one. Well that's probably the very worst decision a referee can give in football.

Â