Weekends football 14/16

andykeenan

He didn't really ask it as a question though. If he'd said "Do you think you were beaten by the better team?" then that's one thing and that would have been OK. But he didn't. He loaded it and phrased it in the affirmative by default which, as I say, I thought was a little insulting and would've been insulting no matter who he was asking. You don't 'ask' questions in the manner of "I suppose sometimes you're just beaten by the better team eh?".

Also, continuing my rather worrying trend in here of defending Wenger, I thought his snigger at the suggestion that he was outdone by 3-4-3 was as much to do with an internal opinion that it is effort and commitment that outdoes you rather than systems per se. Martinez said the same himself in his own very eloquent post-match interview. Roberto explicitly said that it doesn't matter what system you use. Rather, it is the commitment and effort from the players that wins you games. I do get what you're saying. If I wanted to interpret Wenger's snigger in that manner then it would be very easy to. But having heard Martinez dismiss the same point only 5 minutes beforehand, I gave Wenger the benefit of the doubt that; being a PL manager; he would've had a similar philosophical outlook on the reason of their defeat as Martinez did.

Right that's that. No more defending Wenger. I need a wash.

Â