Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though there will be money available in Jan, I think it will be difficult to get the right players in. I dont think MON will resort to panic buying ie DJx2.

Over the next 12 months I would like to see the following positions strengthened

GK. Given? Friedel?

RB. From abroad. No-one springs to mind from these shores (how is it that nobody wants Mills anymore :wink: apart from Hull of course)

Holding Midfielder. Good ones are like rocking horse shit.

Wide men, right and left. SWP? Robben? Van Persie? McGeady?

Target man. Sutton? :wink: :hooray: :wink:

Let's dream, keep dreaming, it's been a long time..................................................

I don't think I'd want to bring in a slew of new players at once. I think it's important to keep a coherent core of players and then bring in quality players to upgrade targetted positions. For January, Milner would be a good buy and then a left back to free Barry to play in the midfield. Bridge would be ideal but I can't see Chelsea letting him go unless he really starts to make noise about being unhappy. They don't need the money, they're not going to find a better replacement and they'll need the depth at the position for Europe and domestic cups. A quality alternative to McCann would be welcome as well I suppose, how vital he is was demonstrated on Saturday and his playing hurt showed we're pressed for options at that position.

ive said it before, i dont think MON will have a budget to work to, he will identify the player he wants and its up to Randy to sort out a figure.

its not like were going to be mega spenders like chelsea, we will now be in the Spurs, Arsenal bracket of buying players, i.e. £8-10million players, instead of the £1-2million budget players we have brought in the last few years

ive said it before, i dont think MON will have a budget to work to, he will identify the player he wants and its up to Randy to sort out a figure.

its not like were going to be mega spenders like chelsea, we will now be in the Spurs, Arsenal bracket of buying players, i.e. £8-10million players, instead of the £1-2million budget players we have brought in the last few years

Thats kind of how I see it too except I do believe there will be a budget but that it will be flexible!

I don't think I'd want to bring in a slew of new players at once. I think it's important to keep a coherent core of players and then bring in quality players to upgrade targetted positions. For January, Milner would be a good buy and then a left back to free Barry to play in the midfield. Bridge would be ideal but I can't see Chelsea letting him go unless he really starts to make noise about being unhappy. They don't need the money, they're not going to find a better replacement and they'll need the depth at the position for Europe and domestic cups. A quality alternative to McCann would be welcome as well I suppose, how vital he is was demonstrated on Saturday and his playing hurt showed we're pressed for options at that position.

Agree mostly with these priorities, but I think we should be able to find a better player than the hugely overrated Wayne Bridge, and for a lot less money.

I would add a top striker to the list. (Lancs, what do you have against Klose?)

Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring an American or two over.

Geremi would be a good option for the full back position. He must be getting fed up with warming the bench at Chelsea by now.

He actually started against Fulham at the weekend and to be honest, he does not seem discontent at ebing on the bench most of the time.

Bridge however will leave Chelsea in January. In the summer when the Cole rumours were going round, Birdge was ready to hand in a transfer request. However when the transfer finally happened (at like 2 minutes to midnight) it was too late for bridge to move anywhere except on loan to the championship, to which there really is no point for a player of Bridge's quality. He will leave in January, either on loan or permanent.

SWP is also unhappy at Chelsea, though I do not think Chelsea are looking to sell him just yet (unless someone will pay 15million for him, which they won't) so if he leaves Chelsea it will be on loan.

IMO both of these players will be very good for us, particularly Bridge and we should make an offer for him ASAP so that he becomes a Villa player on Jan 1st.

I would rather see Milner come here than SWP. Think he is a better prospect, plus it is far more likely to be a permanant transfer rather than on loan.

I don't think there will be too much other activity on the market in January except probably for another Right Back. Delaney is a constant sick note and will be leaving in the summer when his contract expires. Hughes is just not good enough at going forward. Agathe it seems is our best full back, though have yet to see him play. Perhaps he will get a debut against Chelsea and trying to stop Robben...

Don't think there is need for another forward at the moment nor in central defence. The only possible position (if we do stay in a 4-3-3) would be a defensive midfielder. Mccann is playing well atm, but for how long? I do not think he is good enough to play at the very top level and that is where we are aiming and heading for.

Geremi would be a good option for the full back position. He must be getting fed up with warming the bench at Chelsea by now.

He actually started against Fulham at the weekend and to be honest, he does not seem discontent at ebing on the bench most of the time.

Chelsea: We want to pay you 40k a week+ to sit on our bench and cover injuries/suspensions ok?

Geremi: Where do i sign?!

:lol:

Mccann is playing well atm, but for how long? I do not think he is good enough to play at the very top level and that is where we are aiming and heading for.

You could say that about everybody in the team.

Gav is first name on the teamsheet at the mo, judging from MON's comments ("If he's fit, he plays")

But for that very reason, MON must be looking at bringing someone else in for the position, because the implication is that we will be struggling in that area if Gav is injured. (That much was pretty obvious last season).

you have to all realise as well you dont need WC players to win a championship...if they play as a team then they are going places. You cant say that a particular player cant play at that level at all? you dont know how far they can raise there game to that level. I think quite a few villa players have that potiential.

Point with Shaun Wright-Phillips is him costing 25m only a year ago.

Would they let him leave for the same price as Duff? Not likely.

I imagine him costing at least 15m in January

why? what has SWP done to suggest he is worth this type of money. citeh absoutely ripped them off. i reckon between 8-10m can get SWP. we can offer them hendrie in return :P

some of the suggestions on players are rather odd. for example kieran richardson? the guy is pants. id rather ahve bouma or samuel at left back and would rather have barry on the left than him.

some of the suggestions on players are rather odd. for example kieran richardson? the guy is pants. id rather ahve bouma or samuel at left back and would rather have barry on the left than him.

Agreed. Richardon and Bridge two overhyped very ordinary players.

its been said before but why not bring milner and swp? milner is versatile so could play left side ...i would say randy would have to spend 12mil all togeher for these two and they would both seriously improve the squad. this just leave a striker whoever it is may be in a swap for baros (klose, pizzaro, kuranyi, santa cruz), holding midfielder (appiah, borowski, pedretti) and a right back (cicinho, young, salihamidzic) i would say an overall outlay from randy of about 25mil but i dont think there is a budget for MON definately a case of targets and prices!!!