Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

He's also failed with this as well.

Zlatan was awful under him. Grealish is not the player he was. Phillips was an utter waste of money. 

But because Pep has unlimited funds because of cheating we can just dismiss expensive flops and focus on the successes. Nearly every other club can't afford to just write off the losses man city can. 

£100 million player has started 6 games this season. Any other club and the manager would be slaughtered for that. Phillips would be a record signing for most premier league sides but that amount means nothing to pep and City. He didn't work out, who cares, sign the next one. 

Pep spent close to £1bn in his first two years at City. Imagine having that luxury. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Pep spent close to £1bn in his first two years at City. Imagine having that luxury. 

Not sure that’s right.

Edit: In fact, it’s nowhere near right. I think I remember someone saying he’s spent £1bn since he’s been manager. 

Edited by bobzy

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not sure that’s right.

Edit: In fact, it’s nowhere near right. I think I remember someone saying he’s spent £1bn since he’s been manager. 

On the books its not right. Off the books he might have 😉

City spent over 400 million in that first 12 months including 130 million on full backs

Edited by Zatman

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

On the books its not right. Off the books he might have 😉

City spent over 400 million in that first 12 months including 130 million on full backs

Haha - yeah, probably off the record :D

He’s spent a lot of money - obviously - but a load of other managers have as well. Poch has spent the thick end of £500m this season to have a team in 10th. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Poch has spent the thick end of £500m this season to have a team in 10th. :D

How many of them player did Poch choose? Zero. Hard to hold him to account when he's handed random players he doesn't want. 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

How many of them player did Poch choose? Zero. Hard to hold him to account when he's handed random players he doesn't want. 

Pochettino was announced sometime in May - the players were all signed in the summer.  He knew what he was getting and is doing woefully with it.

• Like 1

I remember when Ferguson was still active as Man U manager and people were loathed to give him any acknowledgment or credit as well. It’s only when he retired and was no longer managing a rival team that opposing fans were able to eulogise him. 

There will be another hated manager in 10 years time who fans will all be unwilling to give any credit to and will argue he’s not a patch on the great managers of the past like Guardiola or Klopp 😅

• Like 1

16 hours ago, villa89 said:

Pep doesn't choose players either. That's not how modern football clubs work.

I'm sure he has input into what he needs but the recruitment team will buy the players. Poch would have the same at Chelsea

19 hours ago, DCJonah said:

No other manager ever has. 

Again, because no manager has ever been good enough to stay at a rich club long enough to get that money.

If Mourinho or Solksjaer or Lampard or Tuchel or Potter had been good enough to deliver the kind of return for money that pep has then they'd have had even more to spend.

But they weren't.

53 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Again, because no manager has ever been good enough to stay at a rich club long enough to get that money.

If Mourinho or Solksjaer or Lampard or Tuchel or Potter had been good enough to deliver the kind of return for money that pep has then they'd have had even more to spend.

But they weren't.

Or they weren't at a club who had more money than anyone else due to financial fraud. 

He failed to win the champions league with Bayern. 

Took him awhile and a lot of money to finally win it with city. 

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Or they weren't at a club who had more money than anyone else due to financial fraud. 

Chelsea and Man Utd have spent more money than City since Pep arrived. And Arsenal are only about 30m behind City. We've been over this

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Took him awhile and a lot of money to finally win it with city. 

One season :D 

Edited by Stevo985

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Chelsea and Man Utd have spent more money than City since Pep arrived. And Arsenal are only about 30m behind City. We've been over this

One season :D 

One season? I think it took him a bit longer. Didn't he join 2016? 

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah, it took him longer.  I'm not sure that's the kind of "gotcha" that you're after, though.  Man City have spent a lot of money, but not as much (or even, not significantly more) than their rivals for either the Premier League or the Champions League.

After his first season with Man City, he's only got better in the CL.  They've been QF or better every single season since 17/18 - not that this in itself is a particularly great achievement, but it's far better than a lot of other sides who have spent a similar amount of money.

People are set in their views on Guardiola's ability - even if I think a lot of that is clouded by a] Man City and b] him being a knob.  Nothing said is going to change either view here :D 

again though the money spent and the quality of the players misses a massive point - those expensive quality players play their best football in a pep guardiola team, he's making the worlds best players play better

but then 3 examples in 15 years will be thrown out to say why that's not true....

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, it took him longer.  I'm not sure that's the kind of "gotcha" that you're after, though.  Man City have spent a lot of money, but not as much (or even, not significantly more) than their rivals for either the Premier League or the Champions League.

After his first season with Man City, he's only got better in the CL.  They've been QF or better every single season since 17/18 - not that this in itself is a particularly great achievement, but it's far better than a lot of other sides who have spent a similar amount of money.

People are set in their views on Guardiola's ability - even if I think a lot of that is clouded by a] Man City and b] him being a knob.  Nothing said is going to change either view here :D 

I wasn't trying for a gotcha. 

The talk was the value for money he brings. I was pointing out he failed to win the champions league with bayern and it took him a good while to win it with City. 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

again though the money spent and the quality of the players misses a massive point - those expensive quality players play their best football in a pep guardiola team, he's making the worlds best players play better

but then 3 examples in 15 years will be thrown out to say why that's not true....

The whole pep thing reminds me of Michael Jordan. People are so obsessed with him as the GOAT that these myths seem to appear that he always did everything amazing and never struggled or failed. 

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The whole pep thing reminds me of Michael Jordan. People are so obsessed with him as the GOAT that these myths seem to appear that he always did everything amazing and never struggled or failed. 

Meh, I think it’s the opposite.

He can’t be good because he didn’t immediately win everything - no-one does this, but he’s held to a higher standard for some reason.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

16/17 was his first season

17/18 they won the league with probably the best premier league team ever and a records point total

Edit: sorry I thought you were talking about the Prem, not the CL. Ignore me

I agree that it could be argued that Pep has underperformed in the Champions League given the quality of team he has managed. Again, that doesn't make him shit though

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He's arguably changed English football.

he's not the only manager to have done that, but it's still a massive statement. I know some people in this thread will fall over themselves at that, desperate to take any credit away from him whatsoever, but it is what it is

Chequebook managers don't do that.

Edited by Stevo985

Â