Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I see the refs being in Pep’s pocket is the latest excuse for Man City’s success 😂

He is a great manager but 1 billion on a squad helps.   

Quite a few of their games are decided by dubious penalties ( almost always in their favour). They have quality all across the pitch, with players who are capable from scoring from nothing. Do they really need to dive? 

12 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

A foul for me is an act which fully impedes or prevents a player from completing a move, albeit a shot, pass or positioning.

nowadays, a foul is any slight contact that a player can overreact to and fall to the ground. 

They’re not being fully impeded and could still travel with or move the ball.

The modern game has allowed the excuse of ‘the player has every right to go to ground if they’re touched’ to become the benchmark of what a foul is. 

It’s frustrating and not in the spirit of sportsmanship. 

This is absolutely true, however, refs are at fault for another widely accepted misconception - unless a player falls down there’s no foul/penalty. 

It’s still incredible how 4 or 5 refs, with all the benefits of technology, can still get so many decisions wrong. A random decision generator wouldn’t do worse.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

The fact that a slight tap results in both feet being launched off the floor should be a bit of a giveaway whether it was a foul or not.

The game now favours simulation and cheating more than trying to stay on your feet and playing football. 

All comes down to refereeing again. Last season Watkins had quite a few occasions when he tried playing through contact in the penalty area and wasn’t given a penalty for genuine fouls, say at West Ham, simply because he stayed on his feet.

More recently he’s been trying to fall down when there’s contact but he looks so clumsy because it’s not natural for him, and he’s always rejected again.

It’s up to the referee to set a standard for what a foul is and what a penalty is but we see again and again there’s little consistency when making a decision. 

Edited by BG_Villa_Fan
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

The fact that a slight tap results in both feet being launched off the floor should be a bit of a giveaway whether it was a foul or not.

The game now favours simulation and cheating more than trying to stay on your feet and playing football. 

That's what annoys most people and favours the better teams more, they spend more time in the opposite penalty area then their opponents so looks like/probably is bending the rules to favour the scum6.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

He is a great manager but 1 billion on a squad helps.   

Of course it does. It doesn't make their achievements non existent though.

I think they've done in the Premier League what Messi and Ronaldo have done in individual stats. They've done so many good things that people don't even notice how good they're doing anymore.

Man City are on an 11 game winning streak averaging about 3 goals a game. And nobody really cares :D 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think they've done in the Premier League what Messi and Ronaldo have done in individual stats. They've done so many good things that people don't even notice how good they're doing anymore.

Man City are on an 11 game winning streak averaging about 3 goals a game. And nobody really cares :D 

Yeah I think nobody cares as people want excitement not a cake walk!?  Not good for the league if they piss it every year and then spunk another 100 million on a player they don't need!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

The Man City players got peltered when they scored. Surprised not more has been made of it!

Didn't Rodri take his short off and run to the Arsenal fans to celebrate? 

Not quite Adebayor levels of shithousery but close! 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Didn't Rodri take his short off and run to the Arsenal fans to celebrate? 

Not quite Adebayor levels of shithousery but close! 

Yeah he took too shirt off and then went OTT and celebrated in front of Arsenal fans and he rightly got booked but the amount stuff that was thrown at the City players was ridiculous - someone even through a toilet roll at them! (of course you'd have one with you just incase!)

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think they just evoke complete apathy from the rest of the football world tbh.

Even their own fans barely muster a cheer when another one of their finely crafted yet robotic goals monotonously hits the back of the net.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Yeah he took too shirt off and then went OTT and celebrated in front of Arsenal fans and he rightly got booked but the amount stuff that was thrown at the City players was ridiculous - someone even through a toilet roll at them! (of course you'd have one with you just incase!)

Rodri was probably grateful for the bog roll, and probably took it home with him.

You never know, in case you get caught short during the next panic buy.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I think they just evoke complete apathy from the rest of the football world tbh.

Even their own fans barely muster a cheer when another one of their finely crafted yet robotic goals monotonously hits the back of the net.  

That's not really true though is it. In reality. Yeah they struggle to get the numbers in that other clubs of their stature do, but that's hardly surprising when they share the city with one of the biggest clubs of all time.

The atmosphere at the Etihad is fine. It's a lot better than places like the Emirates or White Hart Lane

And yeah I get the apathy. They're not a well liked club. But they are incredibly good. They've won 3 of the last 4 leagues, they're probably going to win this season, and they post monster points totals and goals while they do it. But nobody seems bothered anymore :) 

Just a bit strange

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's not really true though is it. In reality. Yeah they struggle to get the numbers in that other clubs of their stature do, but that's hardly surprising when they share the city with one of the biggest clubs of all time.

The atmosphere at the Etihad is fine. It's a lot better than places like the Emirates or White Hart Lane

And yeah I get the apathy. They're not a well liked club. But they are incredibly good. They've won 3 of the last 4 leagues, they're probably going to win this season, and they post monster points totals and goals while they do it. But nobody seems bothered anymore :) 

Just a bit strange

I'd imagine part of it is because what they do is expected. They broke the Premier league record for a player they don't really need. They've spent a billion pounds building this squad. They should absolutely piss the league every year. 

The fact they haven't won a champions league is an embarrassment for Pep really. 

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'd imagine part of it is because what they do is expected. They broke the Premier league record for a player they don't really need. They've spent a billion pounds building this squad. They should absolutely piss the league every year. 

Yet Man Utd have spent the same, even more depending on where you cut it off, and they're a shambles (relatively speaking)

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

The fact they haven't won a champions league is an embarrassment for Pep really. 

I'd hardly say it's an embarrassment but I agree it's a failure. I'm sure it's his and the club's number one goal now

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DCJonah said:

They do piss the league (other than a one off season). 

The CL is interesting, because they play against clubs who also piss their leagues. It's not a disaster, but I'm sure they'd like to tick that box off asap.

Â