Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

3 years is a long time in football and a lot of the players that won the title then are past it. Yes he has spent money but so has every other top club. Fergy didn't turn around Man U straight away. It took years of building. Next season he will be judged.

58 minutes ago, PaulC said:

3 years is a long time in football and a lot of the players that won the title then are past it. Yes he has spent money but so has every other top club. Fergy didn't turn around Man U straight away. It took years of building. Next season he will be judged.

No I'm sorry, when you inherit a top 4 side and spend the money he spent you don't get 12 months before being judged.

PS - I don't think there is any merit in a comparison to Fergie when talking about what they both inherited.

• Like 2

He will be judged this season, and he will judged again next season.

Same with Bruce, Mourinho, Conte and every other manager who manages to stay employed.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I've said it before but are Man. City really playing a more exciting brand of football than what they were playing under Pellegrini (first season) and Mancini (year they won the league).

It's not all Guardiola's fault but way press were going on in the summer he was coming to revolutionise English football and play a brand of Football we'd never seen before (C. Henry Winter). All he's done is put out some weird formations akin to Lambert sticking 4 strikers on the pitch for the end of that Bradford game.

For me in all aspects this season Conte has won the best manager hands down and he has succeded with a different style e.g. showing you can have massive success in the prem with a 3-5-2.

Yes, Henry Winter is looking like a right chove now, an absolute know-nothing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

No I'm sorry, when you inherit a top 4 side and spend the money he spent you don't get 12 months before being judged.

PS - I don't think there is any merit in a comparison to Fergie when talking about what they both inherited.

Ok I accept he should be judged this season as well but I think they will be a lot better next year. Midfield and defence are the two areas he will strengthen. they have enough good forward players. Jesus to come back as well.

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Ok I accept he should be judged this season as well but I think they will be a lot better next year. Midfield and defence are the two areas he will strengthen. they have enough good forward players. Jesus to come back as well.

Everyone is waiting for the much anticipated Jesus come back :)

They might be better next season, I've some doubts based on Pep's performance and at times attitude this season though.

If they do improve it's likely to be as a result of spending another vast sum of money. 

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

See the excuses are already out. Even if he turns City into he greatest team ever it'll be "yeah but he spent loads of money so it was easy"

I think the excuses have been being made all season and not by those being critical of him ;)

(by the way, I think we both know that isn't what I said)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PaulC said:

But they bossed the midfield so Delph wasn't the problem

Everyone knew they would. There wasn't much penetration from midfield when Delph (who isn't at total fault of course) is squaring the ball all the time.

Conte was content with them having the midfield. This is where Pep needs to be smarter but he has to me yet to show it at City.

with his reputation and the money they have spent. not a chance he gets a free pass 

his tactics have been found out big time when he doesnt have Messi, Lewandowski, Robben to bail him out. Playing an attacking left back at centre half in a Champions League knockout game, midfielders at right back, alienating your best player

It's thinking out of the box management.

Mourinho at Chelsea in his early days used to do it aswell. Remember the times he'd do two subs before half time but given he takes charge of the riches clubs now I think he's just got more lazy in his management and wants to sign quick fixes now.

A lot of managers are guilty of that.

17 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think the excuses have been being made all season and not by those being critical of him ;)

(by the way, I think we both know that isn't what I said)

I didn't say you'd said it ;) 

But I don't think his "supporters" (for want of a better word) have made that many excuses for him. Most people seem to admit that he won't be happy with his first season. I don't think anybody is trying to say he's done really well.

I think those that defend him just find the rush to laugh at him and call him the biggest flop evarrr every time they don't win a game a bit amusing. It seems to be that he isn't living up to the incredible praise the media apparently gave him before he started and that's the biggest criticism of him. 

All anyone is saying is maybe give him more than a season to see how he does. 

Whereas people are already saying (not you) that even if he does take City on and make them a great team, he's had loads of money to spend so it doesn't count.

Edited by Stevo985

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It's thinking out of the box management.

Mourinho at Chelsea in his early days used to do it aswell. Remember the times he'd do two subs before half time but given he takes charge of the riches clubs now I think he's just got more lazy in his management and wants to sign quick fixes now.

A lot of managers are guilty of that.

I still favour the attacking managers like Klopp,  Pep and Enrique because its how I like to see football played.

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

See the excuses are already out. Even if he turns City into he greatest team ever it'll be "yeah but he spent loads of money so it was easy"

I don't think so. If he was to win title after title in this league then he'll rightfully be considered very highly. With new money, it's very difficult to win back to back titles because of the various teams that spend. 

But it also can't be argued that he inherited a good team and outspent every team in world football. So it does work both ways in that NOT winning a title would be big failure. Ancelotti's league record throughout his career is abysmal IMO and he came in and won a title, Pelligrini, Mancini, Mourinho too. They all spent and won a title, those that didn't at these kind of clubs simply weren't good managers. Pep has to win a title, just to have done part of his job. Multiple titles would be expected IMO while the aim is obviously the CL which would be a good achievement obviously. 

• Like 2

Â