Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

Just now, TrentVilla said:

According to him its not the issue though, its his strikers!

Statistically, he's correct - they don't score enough...

...they're sort of like us.  Enough firepower to score a lot, but somehow failing and conceding a lot of cheap goals at the same time.  But we seem to have resolved that issue, whilst Guardiola keeps chopping and changing the defence.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Statistically, he's correct - they don't score enough...

...they're sort of like us.  Enough firepower to score a lot, but somehow failing and conceding a lot of cheap goals at the same time.  But we seem to have resolved that issue, whilst Guardiola keeps chopping and changing the defence.

Hmmm

Lowest scorers in top 4 granted... but only 3 less than Spurs in 2nd and 5 less than Chelsea.

But... they've let in 34 which is 12 more than Spurs and 10 more than Chelsea.

So no they don't score enough but I'm still not convinced that is their biggest issue.

• Like 2

United have a chance at winning the Europa league giving them the 4th place champs league spot. City luckily have a pretty easy last stretch. Leicester and United are about the only teams I could see beating City. I could see them climbing up to 2nd or 3rd before the end of the season.

Spurs still have Leicester, Arsenal, and United. Arsenal and United will be in must win situations for those matches.

Liverpool have the easiest last stretch of matches. On paper, they should win all of their remaining matches, but it's Liverpool. I think they will choke, finish 4th, and United will get the champs league spot via europa league. 

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

United have a chance at winning the Europa league giving them the 4th place champs league spot. 

I'm pretty sure if United win the Europa League they get a 5th spot, they don't take the 4th league spot.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm pretty sure if United win the Europa League they get a 5th spot, they don't take the 4th league spot.

Did that change recently? I remember last season everyone was saying if Liverpool won the Europa league then City was out of champs since they finished 4th. 

13 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Did that change recently? I remember last season everyone was saying if Liverpool won the Europa league then City was out of champs since they finished 4th. 

I thought that Spain had 5 teams this year because of Sevilla 

Edit: just checked and yes, a country can have a maximum of 5 places. If Man United win Europa AND Leicester win the CL then 4th league place is removed (assuming neither MU or Leicester finish 4th).

Edited by Genie

That's right so if United win the Europa league and finish 4th then the 5th placed team get a spot too if Leicester don't win the champions league

Edited by PaulC

The Europa league spot is on top of whatever number of teams the nation has.

If Man U should finish 4th AND win the Europa League the fifth team will not get a CL spot thou.

At least that's what I thought...

Edited by sne

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

That's right so if United win the Europa league and finish 4th then the 5th placed team get a spot too if Leicester don't win the champions league

That's not right. 

So apparently Pep lost it towards a couple of senior members of the Chelsea staff (not Conte) after the loss in the week.

No punches thrown, but stewards had to separate them :)

I've said it before but are Man. City really playing a more exciting brand of football than what they were playing under Pellegrini (first season) and Mancini (year they won the league).

It's not all Guardiola's fault but way press were going on in the summer he was coming to revolutionise English football and play a brand of Football we'd never seen before (C. Henry Winter). All he's done is put out some weird formations akin to Lambert sticking 4 strikers on the pitch for the end of that Bradford game.

For me in all aspects this season Conte has won the best manager hands down and he has succeded with a different style e.g. showing you can have massive success in the prem with a 3-5-2.

• Like 1

Tactically Conte has won it I agree but Chelsea were league winners 2 years ago and that side is still there. he has made a couple of useful additions to that and reinvented Moses. the City side that won it three years ago, its gone! players like Toure amd Kompany have got old or injury prone. Pep had a bigger rebuilding job than Conte to do. Judge him next year!

31 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Tactically Conte has won it I agree but Chelsea were league winners 2 years ago and that side is still there. he has made a couple of useful additions to that and reinvented Moses. the City side that won it three years ago, its gone! players like Toure amd Kompany have got old or injury prone. Pep had a bigger rebuilding job than Conte to do. Judge him next year!

He had two transfer windows and a couple hundred million to correct things, he does not get a free pass this season at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I've said it before but are Man. City really playing a more exciting brand of football than what they were playing under Pellegrini (first season) and Mancini (year they won the league).

It's not all Guardiola's fault but way press were going on in the summer he was coming to revolutionise English football and play a brand of Football we'd never seen before (C. Henry Winter). All he's done is put out some weird formations akin to Lambert sticking 4 strikers on the pitch for the end of that Bradford game.

For me in all aspects this season Conte has won the best manager hands down and he has succeded with a different style e.g. showing you can have massive success in the prem with a 3-5-2.

You're probably right, but it's still his first season, and just because the press says something doesn't mean it's true.

I'd wager City will be a real force from next season. That's when Pep should really be judged.

• Like 1

Think you're being a bit kind there. He took over a last 4 CL team, outspent every club in world football and went out in the Ro16 without really putting up a title challenge. I don't think there's any reason why he shouldn't be judged negatively on his first season, same with Mourinho. 

• Like 2

The problem with the "judge Pep when he's built his own team" idea is that it wouldn't be much of an achievement to build a championship winning side with an investment north of £750m. Anyone could do that.

If he took a team of players and then improved them as they were (like Conte, like Ranieri etc) then I think praise is justified. Pep has taken a side that recently won the title, had hundreds of millions of investment before he joined, added another couple of hundred million and hasn't moved them forwards at all in any competitions so far.

• Like 2

Â