Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

17 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Clichy, Cabalerro, Sagna and Navas all released

Caballero I dont understand, he isnt perfect but was the best goalkeeper they had this season and pretty much No.1 for last few months

Navas will go back to Sevilla

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Signed Bernando Silva for 60m.

Everytime I watch him play he reminds me a lot of....David Silva so amusing to see both in the same team.

Seems Walker might be next for them too, around the 40 mark.  As my mate said, when they start signing actual defenders [I'll] worry.  They already have no problem scoring goals.

• Like 1

Got to admit I've never heard of him, but I put that down to my dwindling interest in top level football!

• Like 4

Walker for £40m is insane. He is not that good. There is just too much money in this game, it's frankly not enjoyable anymore. There was a time were footballers were far closer to normal people, where player valuations weren't approaching the size of a small-cap company. Not sure I can be arsed with football anymore. Whilst value's are sky rocketing the quality of football isn't improving, football is no better now than in the 80s and 90s. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Walker for £40m is insane. He is not that good. 

Walker and Stones represent a combined outlay of £87m. 

Just let that sink in. WOW.

30 minutes ago, av1 said:

Walker and Stones represent a combined outlay of £87m. 

Just let that sink in. WOW.

And neither can defend! :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

And neither can defend! :D

Agreed. In the case of fullbacks, the defensive side of things has been taking a back seat for years. 

You look at Victor Moses at Chelsea, Antonio Valencia at UTD, both have great seasons, but both are essentially wingers. 

That aside, £40m for Walker is just staggering. 

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Walker for £40m is insane. He is not that good. There is just too much money in this game, it's frankly not enjoyable anymore. There was a time were footballers were far closer to normal people, where player valuations weren't approaching the size of a small-cap company. Not sure I can be arsed with football anymore. Whilst value's are sky rocketing the quality of football isn't improving, football is no better now than in the 80s and 90s. 

Agreed. While I don't blame the players, I'd be making hay while the sun shone as well if I was lucky enough to be a footballer, the 'product' on display is no better, and in my opinion, less enjoyable than it was say, 15-20 years ago.

I hope in future it resets itself to a more sensible level, whatever that may be!

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I hope in future it resets itself to a more sensible level, whatever that may be!

Not sure about that mate. People have said for years that the bubble has to burst, but i just don't see it. 

People will always watch football and subscriptions will only ever rise. The financial side will just keep rising. 

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes I like Walker but its insane and wages are insane. saw the documentary on the Celtic 67 European cup win. Different world much better though when fans and players were much closer. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Not sure about that mate. People have said for years that the bubble has to burst, but i just don't see it. 

People will always watch football and subscriptions will only ever rise. The financial side will just keep rising. 

True enough, but I can't see how wages and transfers can keep increasing at such a rate. Players picking up £250k a week would seem fairly standard at the big clubs now, will that be £500k a week in 2 years? £1m a week in 5 years? Yet old Doris the tea lady in the office still earns the living wage. Fans will eventually get turned off by it. A lot of people my age I know (late 30's) are falling out of the love with the game and its not just Villa fans because we are shit, its fans of teams like Liverpool and Man Utd as well. The standard answer seems to be "Yeah I still follow them, but not as much as I used to". 

Obviously younger fans don't know another era and probably just refer to people like me as miserable bastards living in the past! :D

It all seems to be built in TV money and if that ever stopped/reduced, it would fall down like a pack of cards. Teams would be insolvent almost instantly. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

True enough, but I can't see how wages and transfers can keep increasing at such a rate. Players picking up £250k a week would seem fairly standard at the big clubs now, will that be £500k a week in 2 years? £1m a week in 5 years? Yet old Doris the tea lady in the office still earns the living wage. Fans will eventually get turned off by it. A lot of people my age I know (late 30's) are falling out of the love with the game and its not just Villa fans because we are shit, its fans of teams like Liverpool and Man Utd as well. The standard answer seems to be "Yeah I still follow them, but not as much as I used to". 

Obviously younger fans don't know another era and probably just refer to people like me as miserable bastards living in the past! :D

It all seems to be built in TV money and if that ever stopped/reduced, it would fall down like a pack of cards. Teams would be insolvent almost instantly. 

Yeah i see you point. I'm not sure though how much fans really care about players wages in the grand scheme of things, providing 

i) The club isn't in a mess as a result of it. 

ii) We aren't paying for it, it terms of silly ticket prices. 

Now i know ticket prices are high at the moment, but given the amount of money coming into the game via TV deals, i really do believe that in the coming years we might see a lowering of ticket prices as these become an ever smaller percentage of a clubs income (we are alrady seeing clubs signing up to away day caps). 

So if the club is in a healthy financial position, and your paying £20 for a match day ticket, are you really to bothered if your star player is getting £300k pw? 

Walker for £40m is just laziness, they have that academy, youth set up, scouting network, all those coaches, pep, the spaniards above him and they've just gone and spent mega money on someone who's not good enough but they don't need to do anything with

see what Bayern do to replace lahm, they bought kimmich a few seasons back and have him geared up, they'll probably buy someone like henrichs too

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Walker for £40m is just laziness, they have that academy, youth set up, scouting network, all those coaches, pep, the spaniards above him and they've just gone and spent mega money on someone who's not good enough but they don't need to do anything with

see what Bayern do to replace lahm, they bought kimmich a few seasons back and have him geared up, they'll probably buy someone like henrichs too

Here's one of their problems.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â