Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Doku and Nunes for £110 mill doesn't seem there normal level of player and well overpriced. 

City era has peaked and now in a downwards trend. 

Considering they only just bought Haaland last year I really have a hard time seeing this scenario play out

57 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Yeah, those teams were really struggling till Pep rocked up..... FML

They weren't, but they went on unprecedented periods of league domination because of his system. Just like city are doing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Apparently in order to circumnavigate FFP and get Nunes from Wolves for cheaper they are letting Wolves have a Girona (part of City group) CB on the cheap. Nothing suspicious here. 

Sounds legit.

So many suspicious transfer happening all over the place at the moment. Big money for nobodies. It all feels a bit off.

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

They weren't, but they went on unprecedented periods of league domination because of his system. Just like city are doing. 

Untill Pep wins something at a club without limitless funds or profile I'll maintain that he's a definitive chequebook manager.

Don't fall for the hype.

Edited by jimmygreaves
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Untill Pep wins something at a club without limitless funds or profile I'll maintain that he's a definitive chequebook manager.

Don't fall for the hype.

Exactly, hasn't he spent like One Billion Pounds at Sh***y?

49 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Apparently in order to circumnavigate FFP and get Nunes from Wolves for cheaper they are letting Wolves have a Girona (part of City group) CB on the cheap. Nothing suspicious here. 

They've let the horse out the stable on this one. There's no going back on multi club ownership, and they've got no way of legally enforcing that such deals don't get made.

The best they can do is implement some form of fair value tribunal to assess a players value but even that's going to be so subjective and give such a range that the clubs abusing the system will continue to do so and get away with it.

I don't like that we're trying to join them, but realistically it's the only way to compete on a nearly level playing field. In reality, it's still like playing on the hill in Rectory Park, or the pitches at doe bank lane, except where the opposition permanently have the slope/wind in their favour.

2 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Don't fall for the hype.

I've always maintained that Pep has never really had to prove himself as a manager, and if you stuck him into a mid-tier club with limited resources he'd struggle with technically inferior players.  You could argue he has blown it big-time in some instances in one-off matches.  Given the resources he's had available to him, three European Cup wins in fifteen years is hardly earth-shattering.  Winning the domestic league at Barcelona is getting the better of one other team and in Germany it's a one-horse race. Sadly, given their money, England is little better nowadays..... 

Unai Emery has won trophies against the odds, getting the best from mid-tier/unfashionable clubs and being a master tactician in one-off matches. 

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Exactly, hasn't he spent like One Billion Pounds at Sh***y?

Chelsea have spent a billion in the last 12 months. Man Utd have outspent City since Pep’s been there. 

How come they aren’t dominating the league?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Don't fall for the hype.

I know. And until Tyson Fury beats my drunk uncle outside the social club on a Saturday night in Halesowen he is only a prize fighter.

Don't fall for the hype. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Don't fall for the hype.

Not to mention the illegal stuff. Payments/substances

He is only a drug cheat

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Multi-club groups and buy-backs have to be banned ASAP. Absolutely nailed on to wreck football. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Haven't Chelsea and utd spent the same?

Just means they haven't had cheque book managers I guess...

There's very different skill sets required, and whilst I'm sure Pep would struggled to have motivated our villa team to a promotion the way Smith did, I don't think Smith would win the league coaching City's mega stars.

The bigger issue is that Pep's a convicted drug cheat, and I have no doubt that City will be doing whatever cheating they can to get advantages. Included within that the financial side of doping that let them spend to Pep's desires in the first place.

Â