Critically acclaimed games you've never got into

legov

Another vote for Fallout 3. Started it three times over, by the time I got to Megaton in each game I gave up. Couldn't get on with it.

Exactly, same with me.

:shock: I'm stunned at the lack of love for Fallout 3! It won loads of G.O.T.Y awards. Oh well, different strokes and all that.

Here's a theory. Maybe so many Villa fans seem to dislike Fallout 3 because the drab and dreary, apocalyptic Capital Wasteland reminds them too much of Birmingham :winkold:

Seriously guys, get past Megaton then suffer through the mission where you have to kill a bunch of fire-breathing ants (it's a great mission and fun, just very hard with your limited resources) and I swear after that it's excellent. I can still remember the first time I heard a BOOM go off somewhere over the horizon. Naturally, I had to check it out. Imagine my surprise when I saw what was waiting for me at the picnic area at the top of that hill...

You'll get nothing but love for Fallout from me, I've ploughed 100's of hours of gameplay into both of the newer titles and have found the exploration and story-telling completely engrossing.

Yeah I love the story too. I didn't play the original games but when I got into Fallout 3 I read up a lot about the older games and the history of the universe. I think the whole thing is fascinating.

If I was surprised about people not liking Fallout 3 I'm even more surprised that you didn't like Portal 2 Risso. Was it just the second game you didn't like or both? Again, everyone is different of course, I just would have thought that with such well designed levels and some really funny dark humour thrown in and very memorable characters and great voice-acting that it would be hard for anyone not to find things that they liked about it. Just out of interest what was it that you didn't like?

Fallout, Bioshock.

Don't really like post apocalyptic wastelands. So many games set in those environments (lazily, IMO). Not a fun place to spent hours in. It's one of the things I love so much about Uncharted and, particularly, Assassins Creed - it's a rich, colourful, believable space.

Yeah another vote for World Of Warcraft here... I just dont understand.

For me it was the ability to play with my mates and conquer things together. For a while it was a brilliant gaming experience, and though I sunk far too many hours of my life into it, I don't regret it.

• 1 year later...

GTA4   -   done 13% of it, and i am a bit bored. 

It pretends to be open-world, but really isn't.

The controls are clunky.

Having to restart right from the start of each mission is so annoying, especially when you have to drive across the map to get to the start of the mission each time.

The missions (so far) aren't even that interesting.

I don't like games at all any more, but even when I did I could never get into any of the GTA games. I would start the game off with good intentions, then I'd end up hitting a granny with a baseball bat and trying to evade as many cops as I could. The missions were absolute tat in comparison.

GTA4 - done 13% of it, and i am a bit bored.

The controls are clunky.

Having to restart right from the start of each mission is so annoying, especially when you have to drive across the map to get to the start of the mission each time.

The missions (so far) aren't even that interesting.

Pull over a taxi with LB and fast travel to the destination.

How do you mean? I think it's probably one of the best open-world games I've ever played. The city if full of character. If you mean that it's not open-world because you have to unlock the next part of the city through the story missions, then I guess you have a point but each chunk of the city is still huge and it's hardly linear. There are a multitude of routes you can take to get from A to B, the only linear parts are some of the shootouts in warehouses and other places for some of the missions. I think all games need a bit of linearity though and that it benefits the story-telling. I've never played a game to my recollection which has told it's story brilliantly without using scripted, linear sequences.

• Like 1

Same here with GTA games. Was never really interested in the whole concept of them, gave a couple a go but just found it all boring, not really for me. I admire the technical achievements of them though. 

Final Fantasy 7.

Press X. Watch a cartoon. Move 10 metres, press X, watch a cartoon.

Walk round the corner, press X, watch a cartoon.

Get into a fight!.... no wait, the fight is pressing X, and watching a cartoon.

I didn't play it until about a year ago, and I'm not into turn based roleplaying games, so it's no surprise I didn't like it. But yeh, mostly boring.

How do you mean? I think it's probably one of the best open-world games I've ever played. The city if full of character. If you mean that it's not open-world because you have to unlock the next part of the city through the story missions, then I guess you have a point but each chunk of the city is still huge and it's hardly linear. There are a multitude of routes you can take to get from A to B, the only linear parts are some of the shootouts in warehouses and other places for some of the missions. I think all games need a bit of linearity though and that it benefits the story-telling. I've never played a game to my recollection which has told it's story brilliantly without using scripted, linear sequences.

It might become more open-world later, but at the early stage that i am there's not much to do.

i can either do missions, take Michelle on a date and play pool/darts/bowling, or drive around and beat up people. thats pretty much it.

compared to Saints Row 2 or Red Dead Redemption, which has so many side-missions/games/objectives from the start, GTA seems a lot more restrictive at the moment.

I think with Final Fantasy VII and the reason why most now look back and consider FF6 as the game that stood the test of time better is that you sort of needed to play FF7 when it came out. The leap to 3D(ish), the size of the game that scaled 4 discs, the production, background artwork, music, depth and ultimately the incredibly powerful storyline (the biopunk element/feel in particular) was just something that hadn't really been done to this sort of level before and most of us who were young teenagers at the time were utterly blown away. 

I've tried many times since to replay it and It's very hard, it hasn't in my opinion aged well, but people who consider it one of the greatest of all time are people who had their lives transformed over a six month period back in the mid 90s. I'd personally call FF7 an all time classic, just because of the effect it had on me as a kid but it's certainly not without its flaws.

Edited by nobler
  • Like 1

Â