What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

Just finishing off 'Deliver us the Moon', which has been quite fun. Essentially a walking simulator with some puzzles, but some of the art and music has been excellent. Would have preferred it all in first person like the start though, if I'm honest.

• Like 1

I'm at a complete crossroad moment in gaming (may be I'm just old). I'm losing interest in something I have enjoyed throughout my life, or may be at the moment no new game has truly interest me anymore. But I'm trying. I read good reviews re AC Odessy but my god, it's just way too long and I have given up after hours of game play with some of the map left unexplore.

Having been a massive fan of the Arkham series, so I got myself Gothen Knights so trying to rekindle any interest in gaming, and so far ( even with the negative reviews everywhere ), this seems to be okay. It's never going to beat the highs of the Arkham series, but the story so far so good. It can get a bit repetitive, but then again, what isn't repetitive in gamings now a days.

26 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

I read good reviews re AC Odessy but my god, it's just way too long and I have given up after hours of game play with some of the map left unexplore.

I’ve just started playing AC Odyssey.  I’ve heard lots of complaints that it’s too long so my aim is just to stick to the main story and not get distracted yes by the map and all the icons.Let’s see how long I last.

46 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

I'm at a complete crossroad moment in gaming (may be I'm just old). I'm losing interest in something I have enjoyed throughout my life, or may be at the moment no new game has truly interest me anymore. But I'm trying. I read good reviews re AC Odessy but my god, it's just way too long and I have given up after hours of game play with some of the map left unexplore.

Having been a massive fan of the Arkham series, so I got myself Gothen Knights so trying to rekindle any interest in gaming, and so far ( even with the negative reviews everywhere ), this seems to be okay. It's never going to beat the highs of the Arkham series, but the story so far so good. It can get a bit repetitive, but then again, what isn't repetitive in gamings now a days.

Similar to you I'm finding a lot of games are just too long and unfocused for the amount of time I have to put into them. There are games, such as the Witcher and Red Dead 2 that I've loved what I've played but just don't have the time to finish. I've completely given up on the AC series for this very reason. Now I look for games that have a concentrated, linear story, The Last of Us, GoW etc. as they are just the right length and hold me all the way to the end. **** open world games.

12 minutes ago, picicata said:

Similar to you I'm finding a lot of games are just too long and unfocused for the amount of time I have to put into them. There are games, such as the Witcher and Red Dead 2 that I've loved what I've played but just don't have the time to finish. I've completely given up on the AC series for this very reason. Now I look for games that have a concentrated, linear story, The Last of Us, GoW etc. as they are just the right length and hold me all the way to the end. **** open world games.

I feel you both. In my case it's more that games have become so formulaic. Devs tick boxes for things that 'should be in a successful AAA game' rather than try and innovate or even noticeably iterate on established ideas. 

RDR2, The Witcher 3 and games bybthat ilk provided such a great story they did manage to hold me, but I feel few game manages to provide that sort of narrative experience that can shake my cynicism and grab me by the neck and force me to finish.

I have grown old and jaded, but so has gaming. It has established itself,  and while I  not claiming good storytelling and innovation is dead, the business is no longer the cocky, growing youth ot once was. It's now a well established market that suddenly has something to lose, and consequently winds its neck in first a bit, then noticeably. 

There are still some amazing games and series out there, but I just feel the games biz could be so much more, and definitely much more provocative than it currently is. Pushing the medium even further. 

Still, this is just and old, irrelevant man's ramblings. 😅

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HongKongVillan said:

That's the good thing about game pass / psn+, you can scattergun it and just hope something sticks, I downloaded around 15 games last week that I didn't even put 30 mins in to because despite the review scores they just weren't my thing

I'll have GoW and FM next month, hoping for big things from the callisto protocol and then that's me done for the year

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's the good thing about game pass / psn+, you can scattergun it and just hope something sticks, I downloaded around 15 games last week that I didn't even put 30 mins in to because despite the review scores they just weren't my thing

I'll have GoW and FM next month, hoping for big things from the callisto protocol and then that's me done for the year

GamePass is really cool tbh. I started Persona 5 Royal on there, but will certainly buy it now that I know I will keep playing. A great service really.

9 hours ago, picicata said:

You mentioned RDR2 and reminds me, that was one of the best I have played, and got me through after the Arkham series. Weirdly I wasn't too interested on the main story, it is all those weird wonderful encounters with freaks and strangers that got me interested, eg the number of times I try to visit Agnes Dowd and playing it with noise cancelling earphone at 2 am scared the shit out of me but was great fun. 

Similarly I just wasted so much time on side quests on Odyssey, but it's easier to give up as each task ends up with just killing various folks who hangs out at fortresses and it was just repetitive.

I think Life is strange might have taken a toll from me from the usual gaming as it was quite new to me in terms of story telling and still being able to roam around. Still remembered my sleepless night after failing to save Kate(?) from jumping off.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

I think Life is strange might have taken a toll from me from the usual gaming as it was quite new to me in terms of story telling and still being able to roam around. Still remembered my sleepless night after failing to save Kate(?) from jumping off.

Yeah it was Kate. That's cannon in the story for me, and was also what happened on my first play through. 

Did you play the other games in the series too? 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Yeah it was Kate. That's cannon in the story for me, and was also what happened on my first play through. 

Did you play the other games in the series too? 

I played all of the 'Max and Chloe" series, and also the 2 bros (can't remember the name, it was a good play but will never top the first one). But not tried the last one which I'm not sure about.

Why the hell wouldn't it install the campagn at the start. It makes you start a game, then it installs it in the background at a really slow rate cos it thinks you're playing the game at the same time. 

Now I've suspended the game and it installing much faster now.

Worst COD install procedure ever

Rant over

On 28/10/2022 at 22:15, villa4europe said:

Playing marvel snap on my phone and it's pretty good, it's simple but it works which with phone games is how they get you

Probably a good thing it doesn't have an offline mode or I'd be putting a lot of hours in at work

i might have a mild addiction problem here...

its brilliant, i've probably sunk around 20 to 30 hours in to it in less than a week (i was at the in laws and in bed with the kids at 8pm each night)

there's a lot to it which just about keeps it fresh be it the cards (i think there's around 150 if them) the locations, the opponents and then game does kind of bombard you with missions and leveling up and skins and god knows what else

dont be put off by the idea that there is stuff in there you can pay for, you dont need it, i've not seen anything yet to suggest someone who pays money in this game gets an advantage, id say part of my main enjoyment of it is it seems fair, its not hard its not easy it doesn't cheat you, there's a big element of luck and there's also no real consequence, i can go on a 5 game losing streak and not feel beaten up by it, sometimes its a mistake by me, sometimes its just a better card and a lot of the time when i lose its because the game did something cool, there's a lot of games that have risk / reward on the last hand

Â