What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

34 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Funnily enough I'm now finding out that the Dead Space series seems to have blazed a similar trail of leaning too much into the action; about half-way through #3 now and by the time you can cobble together some passable weaponry, it's a cakewalk of a shooting gallery with a smattering of jump-scares.  Feels closer to Lost Planet (which I did love, to be fair) that the original Dead Space now, just without all the cool mech-fighting.

Dead Space 3 suffered from EA meddling. EA wanted a game that would sell 5 million copies at launch or in their words "they wouldn't continue the franchise". Now, Visceral weren't new to the games industry and knew that horror doesn't sell big unless you're Resident Evil, so what did we get? A co-op action game filled with microtransactions so players can make it as easy as they want. How did that work out? Dead Space 4 was cancelled and Visceral Games were shut down a couple years later.

• Thanks 1

Ah, good old EA. 😬

It's a shame as there are definitely elements of #3 that I'm enjoying and I think could work well in a.n.other sci-fi shooter; the zero-G sections don't feel as much of a chore as they did in #2 and floating between derelicts give things a hefty sense of scale.  The weapon assembly mechanic is itself a bit of fun too (I like it when games work in elements of Lego-like customisation), despite being in bad need of re-balancing.

I guess it'll be interesting to see if the remake does well enough to warrant rebooting the series and taking it in another direction.  At the very least, this run through is gearing me up for some Callisto Protocol.

Been playing Like a Dragon: Ishin on and off since its release (as much as having a very energetic 18 month old daughter will allow!). Definitely recommended for any fans of the Yakuza series. It's a cool departure from the usual setting, and being able to swing a katana about as Kiryu-but-not-actually-Kiryu is very satisfying.

Struggling to find something that grabs me at the mo. Being an Arkane appreciator I was looking forward to Redfall, but that's seeming like an absolute bust.

Gotten a fair way through Signalis, and whilst I love the aesthetic of it, the gameplay is essentially OG Resident Evil with all the annoyances of that era; your inventory - or lack thereof - is a crutch to artificially create difficulty, with the associated item storage/sparse save game function adding to the frustration. We're talking exactly RE1's inventory management system, and unless you're really chasing that retro vibe, honestly games have just moved so far on from that. The combat and gunplay feels overly clumsy as well. All this is a damn shame, because it looks absolutely gorgeous (in that retro-pixelly way), the sound design is top drawer and the game world itself is engrossing.

Got Far- Lone Sails and finished it in one sitting. Fun little game.

Also just got Chef Life. Not sure why, as I do all our cooking, so it's more like another job, but I'm finding it to be great so far. 

Finally on the verge of completing Subnautica after about 4 years of off and on progress, and a potentially game breaking bug. Thank Christ. Been a long, but ultimately satisfying slog. Just got to do an irritating trip back to the Inactive Lava Zone to pick up something I missed first time around (bummer).

I've been holding off getting the follow up until I finished it. If anyone has played it- Is it as good? I don't want to embark on another 4 year mission if it's not worth it.

Edited by HKP90

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the full pack on This War of Mine, and doing the dlc.

Father's promise: probably one of the best thing I have played in years. I tend to be the nice, pc person who would try to survive without killing or stealing, or breaking a fart just in case if I hang myself after the war. But that had me started with the desperate rush of stealing/killing, and just getting any info to save the girl. But **** hell, think I was traumatized after that ending.

Just finished The Last Broadcast, I think I have got the one of the better outcome at the end. Quite enjoyed it overall it gives you that sense of duty.

Doing Fading Ember now, but so far a lot slower than the other dlc.

Think will go back and do some classic play after the DLC are finished .

Edited by HongKongVillan

I think I'm nearly done finally completing Demon's Souls.  I got a wall with it a while ago and started a fresh playthrough a month or so ago.  Just been taking it a bit at a time and playing other stuff too.  Still think this is an amazing looking game, and the sound design is brilliant.  

• Like 1

Diablo IV.

Very early into the game (just completed the prologue) and so far it's everything I hoped it would be.

Special mention for the sound design which is phenomenal.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Diablo IV.

Very early into the game (just completed the prologue) and so far it's everything I hoped it would be.

Was so tempted to buy the early access but the extra couldn't be justified for the sake of 4 days.

How are you finding it?  What class did you start as?  The beta was great, so be interesting to see what has been tweaked.  

17 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Was so tempted to buy the early access but the extra couldn't be justified for the sake of 4 days.

How are you finding it?  What class did you start as?  The beta was great, so be interesting to see what has been tweaked.  

Sorcerer.

Yeah, so far it very much has the feel of an enhanced D3, which is great as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Diablo IV.

This is on my list i cant wait 

Better than 3?

46 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Better than 3?

Too early to tell mate.

I have hundreds of hours on D3 and only 3 on D4 😀

Really good so far though 👏 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Too early to tell mate.

I have hundreds of hours on D3 and only 3 on D4 😀

Really good so far though 👏 

Im ordering today  bloody expensive  though for xbox 🥵

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Im ordering today  bloody expensive  though for xbox 🥵

Yeah I think it said 89.99 to get the early access version on PS5. Think I'll wait and get a physical copy

57 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Yeah I think it said 89.99 to get the early access version on PS5. Think I'll wait and get a physical copy

Thats what i wanted to do but all my friends are going tp have ut 1st so ill be behind them. Want to do it together so ill prob just as a one off pay full price

On 03/06/2023 at 21:12, Demitri_C said:

Better than 3?

I think ultimately it'll depend on what you want from Diablo.

Diablo 3 is a power fantasy in every sense of the word. The gameplay is very fast, the action is very fast, and levelling is very fast. You go from weak to very powerful within 20 hours. The main downsides of Diablo 3 are that its end game is non-existent which forces players to run greater rifts endlessly until they get bored. 

Diablo 4 isn't a power fantasy, I mean, you'll be killing swarms of mobs, but depending on the world tier you'll also be taking plenty of damage in return. Diablo 4 is also a lot slower, and getting to level 100 is said to take the average player well over 100 hours. As someone now at end game (level 53 currently), I can say the games main strength is in its endgame as even at launch the game has 2-3x more content than Diablo 3 had as of last week. So, while the grind is slower and progress is slower in Diablo 4, I feel like players will likely have more fun over a longer amount of time in Diablo 4. 

So, it ultimately comes down to what you want from a Diablo game. Diablo 4 itself is fun, but it's a similar speed to Diablo 2 which might be jarring to those that are used to how Diablo 3 operated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â