What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

Think I'm going to keep restarting until I get the hang of parrying.  This mechanic seems to be very important in this game.  Also need to remember when you lock on to a boss you can't roll for some reason.

19 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Think I'm going to keep restarting until I get the hang of parrying.  This mechanic seems to be very important in this game.  Also need to remember when you lock on to a boss you can't roll for some reason.

I'm level 50 and have barely used parry tbh. I use block quite a bit, but rolling and back dodge have been my go to for evasion.

You can upgrade dodge after the first section of the game and that can help too.

Edited by Designer1
  • Thanks 1

Tried Lies of P.

Don't like it. Too focused on the parry mechanic and the dodge is shit. Really dislike the way it plays, mixing some mechanics from Bloodborne with a Sekiro style parry mechanic that isn't as good as Sekiro and against enemies with unreadable attacks and timings.

Another massive disappointment.

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

Tried Lies of P.

Don't like it. Too focused on the parry mechanic and the dodge is shit. Really dislike the way it plays, mixing some mechanics from Bloodborne with a Sekiro style parry mechanic that isn't as good as Sekiro and against enemies with unreadable attacks and timings.

I originally thought that tbh but I'm about 5-6 hours in I think and once you get used to the pace it's definitely better. The main thing I found is to keep an eye on your stamina because of that's depleted you can't roll.  Think of the boss fights as a marathon not a sprint.

I'm level 26 now, a few bosses in and lots of things have opened up.

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Tried Lies of P.

I think its fantastic tbh.

As I mentioned earlier, I've barely had to use the parry and I've made it a fair bit into the game without it.

The dodge mechanic is poor until you get the double dodge, no disagreement there. The initial dodge distance is ridiculously small.

Some of the enemies do have very erratic attacks (wind ups are difficult to judge and that's if they even have one) but again it's nothing you don't get used to.

The world and art design is kinda beautiful, they've also done a nice job on the shortcuts and making sure the whole world feels like a continuous entity instead of cobbled together areas.

I also love the weapon choices (which actually feel and play differently) and the handle swapping gives it another welcome option to play around with different styles and effects.

Yeah, I like it a lot so far.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

Completed Re4 on the easiest setting, did enjoy after I'd knocked it down

I'll have another moan though... There's no post game chapter select or any real reward other than a difficulty level 4x the one I've just completed the game on, seems bizarre, RE3 gave you a handgun with unlimited ammo and chapter select, you could then also spend the points on upgrades and various things which means you can get better and go back and do the game on the hardest setting, here you can spend them on art work?

I'd put another 15 to 20 hours on this game if they'd set the post game out better, I wanted to go back and do all the blue ticket things and go treasure hunting

Instead I'm finished with it, my opinion of Re4 being overrated hasn't changed I'd tier them

Re2 on an island by iitself

1, 8 (surprisingly)

3, 7, 4, 0, Veronica not much in it between them and I'd still rather they remade Veronica than 3 or 4

5 which isn't as bad as people make out its just not as good as the others

A whole heap of shit

RE4 sets out it's bonus stuff differently and mainly bases it around challenge runs - things like no healing run, pistol and knife only, no merchant, speed runs etc. There are some bonus items you can buy in the extras shop but you have meet the criteria to get them first. It's usually recommend you get the unbreakable knife first and then do a pistol and knife only run with upgraded items by reloading a finished save at the last merchant and pumping all money into upgrades for them or something - I can't remember the exact process sadly.

You can have a lot of fun with it. You end up doing runs with a infinite ammo rocket launcher, infinite ammo Tommy gun, etc etc. I think it's a great game.

Edited by Chindie

Yeah I can see there's a good game in there somewhere it's just largely not what I want it to be whereas a few of the RE games are, when I say "what I want it to be" thats based on RE experiences not other games within the genre (although the way the last of us sets out their chapter select and tells you what activities you need to do for each chapter is very good)

They really need to remake Veronica, that game being good could be a myth at this point it's been so long since I've played it, zero too as its one of the more interesting RE games

Capcoms decision makers seem to be of the opinion that they remake the most popular ones, I'm of the opinion they should remake the ones that no one played and are now hard to play

On 23/09/2023 at 08:45, dubbs said:

I originally thought that tbh but I'm about 5-6 hours in I think and once you get used to the pace it's definitely better. The main thing I found is to keep an eye on your stamina because of that's depleted you can't roll.  Think of the boss fights as a marathon not a sprint.

I'm level 26 now, a few bosses in and lots of things have opened up.

Patch is out today.

Lots of QoL improvements and quite a few nerfs to general mobs and bosses.

If you haven't already taken down Archbishop then trust me these will be a godsend (**** took me about 30 tries in between bouts of level grinding).

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Patch is out today.

Lots of QoL improvements and quite a few nerfs to general mobs and bosses.

If you haven't already taken down Archbishop then trust me these will be a godsend (**** took me about 30 tries in between bouts of level grinding).

I've only just got to the boss guarding the train. She has a big hammer and moves like lightening sometimes!  Turned it off after getting a tad frustrated.  However I've just seen tonight's lineup so I might put it back on 😂

9 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I've only just got to the boss guarding the train. She has a big hammer and moves like lightening sometimes!  Turned it off after getting a tad frustrated.  However I've just seen tonight's lineup so I might put it back on 😂

Have to say I'm absolutely loving it.

Hands down the best Soulslike (not Fromsoft) game I've played and I've played and finished most of them.

It's brilliant.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I've only just got to the boss guarding the train. She has a big hammer and moves like lightening sometimes! 

I don't know who you're referring to? Is she humanoid or a big creature?

1 minute ago, dubbs said:

Humanoid, she's preventing me going to the cathedral.

Oh yeah at the bottom of the hill tram? As with other humanoids, just go around her in a tight circle and backstab when you get the prompt. Really easy once you do that. 

I've just got to King of Puppets before I logged. Supposed to be tough but I'm in the zone with the combat and have some great weapon choices now (switching handles has become one of my new favourite features) so I reckon I'll take him down next time I'm on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Got to the cathedral and the acid throwing f###tards can do one.  Fighting those on high beams is just ridiculous.  This section is the first I've not enjoyed at all.

Yeah, they are words removed the first time you encounter them. I just used throwables. They hate the fire ones especially. Make sure you equip the cat ring for fall dmg too.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

@dubbs

In fact, get as much Fire damage stuff as possible because you'll need it for the Archbishop.

I was using the flame dagger, flamberge arm, fire buff on weapon AND fire throwables and its still a tough fight (maybe less so after the patch).

Make good use of the Spectre too and try to keep him alive for phase two of the fight.

Edited by Designer1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/09/2023 at 22:18, Designer1 said:

@dubbs

In fact, get as much Fire damage stuff as possible because you'll need it for the Archbishop.

I was using the flame dagger, flamberge arm, fire buff on weapon AND fire throwables and its still a tough fight (maybe less so after the patch).

Make good use of the Spectre too and try to keep him alive for phase two of the fight.

Just reached this fight and yeah he's a baddie ain't he? Only had one attempt and got through phase one fairly easily.  Then phase 2 for me pretty quick.  Really enjoying this again now. Level 50 and climbing!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Defeated the Archbishop after 2 or 3 tries.  Just met up with the wolf dealer who has the special weapons for sale.  The agony of choice!!

I'm on the last two bosses. Hopefully finish today.

• Like 1

Â