What game you currently playing?

Demitri_C

Downloaded the Bioshock games yesterday. Not that impressed with the first one yet but hoping it'll grab me since it's so universally loved.

The first one is brilliant, one of the best games on the PS3.  The second one less so, Bioshock Infinite much, much less so.

I don't really like any of the Bioshock series. Or Fallout. Spending hours upon hours in those kind of depressing, barren game worlds just doesn't appeal to me. 

I've got Ni No Kuni on rent currently, largely on the basis of the love it's had in these forums. Much as I am enjoying Drippy's Welsh accent, I'm not particularly enjoying the game play so far (I'm maybe an hour/hour and a half in). Does it change/get better?

I can understand referring to the world of Fallout 3 as barren (though I don't think it's a bad thing myself, what do you expect after nuclear war? It's called the Wasteland for a reason) but calling Rapture and Columbia depressing and barren is incomprehensible to me.

These two worlds are full of character that you just don't find too often in most games. They're incredible feats of game design and are full of little touches and details that all go towards immersing you in the Bioshock universe and give insight into the story.

Bioshock was amazing, Bioshock 2 was disappointing, Infinite is fantastic.

Edited by Ginko

I watch PewDiePie play it for about 15 minutes and as fun as it looks initially, I think the novelty would wear off pretty quick.

I got the HD remasters of FFX and FFX-2 come through the post today (I only really want it for FFX to tell the truth, I love that game). Nostalgia hung thick in the air today in the Ginko household.

I don't really like any of the Bioshock series. Or Fallout. Spending hours upon hours in those kind of depressing, barren game worlds just doesn't appeal to me. 

I've got Ni No Kuni on rent currently, largely on the basis of the love it's had in these forums. Much as I am enjoying Drippy's Welsh accent, I'm not particularly enjoying the game play so far (I'm maybe an hour/hour and a half in). Does it change/get better?

As I recall, it's a bit slow to get going, but once it does, it's brilliant.  My favourite game on the PS3 after Red Dead Redemption.  If you like the style of play (JRPGs) you'll love it.  The difficulty level is pitched just right.

It's a bit basic to start, most of the side quests are really simple too, gets harder and better, same as FF where when you can free travel properly it's better, also when you get a familiar that you like, mine was the cat, think your enjoyment of it might depend on your personality, personally the old gotta catch them all kicked in and I was on mission, get the same with gran turismo not particularly fond on the driving but I feel the urge to get every car...

Started playing Elder Scrolls Online.

I think, like many, I had this game down as a pointless addition to the series and probably a shit MMO to boot. Turns out its about the best MMO I've played since the magic vanilla days of WoW. Same sense of wonder at the world. It's an Elder Scrolls game and not a generic MMO with a well known name slapped on it. It's nice to get back to playing an MMO that isn't just an exercise in min/maxing numbers or grinding mobs. This is all about exploration and being immersed.

But my gawd is has a terrible introductory tutorial. That shit put me right off when I first played it in beta. But after that, once I get dumped into the game proper, its quite brilliant. Thoroughly underserving of the vitriol from folk who wanted Skyrim 2. ESO feels more like Morrowind to me.

Edited by Sie
  • Like 2

Spectrum?  Nostalgia?  That's practically next-gen.

Not for me

ZX Spectrum was the first thing I ever played a game on.

I can genuinely still remember the exact moment.

The TV was, for some reason in my parent's bedroom. I think my dad had been ill so they'd wheeled the TV up there.

Went in one day to say morning and there it was. A ZX Spectrum. Being a plucky 4 year old (I would guess) I didn't know what it was. Dad fired up Manic Miner to show me and that was it, hooked for life :)

• Like 1

Â