Relegation - Merged

Amo69

Lacking in belief and fight - Aren't we the team that came from behind to beat Chelsea, came from behind to beat wolves, came from behind to draw with QPR whilst half our own supporters were booing individuals.

Maybe if you made that statement pre New year it would have had some credibility

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Villa to be relegated this season, SEVEN out of the following nine clubs would need to overtake us in the 16 games remaining: Fulham, Swansea, Everton, Baggies, QPR, Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves, Wigan. For Blackburn or Wolves to overhaul us they would need to make up a nine point deficit in those 16 games.

It's obviously not impossible but there is very little in our present situation that should lead anyone to say it is likely or could "easily" happen.

This thread is ludicrous. As I've already said once, it's not like last season where we really were teetering on the brink of relegation, even as late as the end of March.

This post was written about a week ago. Originally we needed SEVEN teams of NINE clubs to overtake us with 16 games remaining for us to be relegated. It was just a concern.

Now we need FIVE teams of SEVEN clubs to overtake us with 14 games remaining for us to be relegated. It's more of a concern. That's ONE week and TWO games. It's so close that it's quite easy for those teams to leap above us.

We are dropping rapidly. We occasionally plateau with a draw but then start falling again.

We are NOT out of danger by any means. At the rate above we'll be deep in trouble in a other few weeks.

For the record I think we'll survive, just. But next year is probably going to be the year we do get relegated unless major change happens starting with AMC.

The (most) important games is Wigan, Blackburn and Bolton for me. Don t lose these games and maybe we should be able to make it. Our goal differece also gives us "1 point" more than these clubs.

When I check out the matches these days I look out more for Wigan, Blackburn and Bolton to lose their games than Villa to win ours. It´s really sad isn´t it?

I was thinking the same this weekend, used to look out for the top 6 results but now its the bottom 5.

I dont think we'll go down or be near it this year. Some of the bottom clubs are awful- they wont get near 40 points.

Its all about the summer- after that we'll know whats happening with this club.

This was also said last summer, which was supposed to be key and important for the club. No doubt it will be the same next year as well

We won't go down this season. We've amassed too many points. That said, at this stage last season we were at the exact same points total.

Next season though? Who knows. I think if McLeish is still here we'll be contesting relegation (fighting or battling aren't the right words to describe an Alex McLeish team). If we serve out our full three year sentence under McLeish then we will definitely be a Championship club come 14/15.

Our next four games after man city are really important, wigan blackburn fulham and Bolton, if man city give us a real thumping I really can't see us getting much from these games, the belief in the team seems to be none exitent, best we can do is rob the three points at one game and scrap some draws, unlike 3 years ago we would be seriously looking to go to theses and beating them. If we don't get nothing from these games then we are in trouble, arsenal Chelsea Liverpool stoke and man u, even stoke in there, MON has gone a great job there, but that's no surprise to me, and every villa fan deep down knows this, we would be in trouble

I take it you mean Sunderland?

Lol yea that's what I meant, arsenal chealse liverpool stoke man u sunderland

We won't go down this season. We've amassed too many points. That said, at this stage last season we were at the exact same points total.

Next season though? Who knows. I think if McLeish is still here we'll be contesting relegation (fighting or battling aren't the right words to describe an Alex McLeish team). If we serve out our full three year sentence under McLeish then we will definitely be a Championship club come 14/15.

Stop on

Stop on

Stop on with championship side under AM

This was also said last summer, which was supposed to be key and important for the club. No doubt it will be the same next year as well

well, to the extent that the summer and pre-season is fundamental to the next season then it should be said every summer yes, at least until you're defending champions or something ;)

this summer in particular though is very important, with the contracts expiring it coudl be seen to be the summer where the MON era finally ends and we can start again. add to that the fact we have a nucleus of very good young talent coming through, the handling of which could well define quite a few years to come for us, and this summer in particular looks to be very key for avfc.

No chance this season, as I've said before 35 or 36 points will keep you up and our goal difference is better than all the teams below us so really we only need another 7 points.

Really am fearing for next season though if things say as they are. We are slowly sleep walking to disaster like we were in early 2006 under Ellis and O'dreary.

Pretty sure i read somewhere that last year Birmingham had 30 points at this point last year (we have 28 ) and look how it turned out for them. On the other hand they had that moron McLeish in charge. Thank god we're not that stupid...

I honestly belive we are in a far worse position than last year, and that if we do manage to stay up it will only be because we are lucky enough to have some even worse teams behind us. I do not think we will reach the 40 point mark that is usually needed to stay up.

We are in a worse position than last seaon but the bottom clubs are in even more dire straits. While last season we had 28 points from 24 games, the clubs in positions 18-20 - Wolves, Wigan and West ham - were on 21/2 points and playing quite well, so were uncomfortably close (indeed, 2 of those clubs managed to survive).

This season the bottom three clubs have 16, 18 and 20 points respectively so they have more ground to make up and are all in very poor form..

Bolton are the closest with 20 points and we have the chance to settle their hash on 18 March. That really could turn out to be one of our most important games this season.

if we dont strengthen properly in the summer, then its possible next season, weve escaped it a few times, but under this manager, its a huge possibility, the guy hasnt got a clue, other clubs just dont respect or fear us, they beat us for fun

if/when we go down, it will be the worst thing ever, financially, reputation will take a hit, and c'mon, all of us on here will have to listen to those knuckle draggers from across the city for a year, can we really put up with that?

Pretty sure i read somewhere that last year Birmingham had 30 points at this point last year (we have 28 ) and look how it turned out for them. On the other hand they had that moron McLeish in charge. Thank god we're not that stupid...

I honestly belive we are in a far worse position than last year, and that if we do manage to stay up it will only be because we are lucky enough to have some even worse teams behind us. I do not think we will reach the 40 point mark that is usually needed to stay up.

SHA went down on 39 points last season which was the highest points tally to go down since 2003.

I think teams will stay up on 36 or 37 points this season so I think we'll get that without too much bother.

SHA went down on 39 points last season which was the highest points tally to go down since 2003.

And thay had 30 of those points by this time last year, from 25 games.

They only got 9 points from their last 13 games so if anyone thinks we are shadowing what SHA did last season, we will need to engineer a spectacular collapse from now on to match them.

They only got 9 points from their last 13 games so if anyone thinks we are shadowing what SHA did last season, we will need to engineer a spectacular collapse from now on to match them.

Wouldn't put it past McTool. He has the capability. He is already working on achieving this - alienating our two main creative forces and continuing to play the back 4 that lets in goals.

Our current point/game average is just under 1,17 (shockin!). Keeping with that would leave us with ruffly 44 points at the end of the season.

For some reason I still got a bad feeling about this season...

Wouldn't put it past McTool. He has the capability. He is already working on achieving this - alienating our two main creative forces and continuing to play the back 4 that lets in goals.

Even if we only we ended up with 39 points it would still need the teams in trouble to do really well - to get to 40 points and so get past us, it would need QPR and Wolves each to get 19 points from 14 games, Bolton to get 20 points or, even more improbably, 22 points for Blackburn or 24 for Wigan.

Can't really see all this happening.