Relegation - Merged

Amo69

Never in the reign of pigs pudding.

We just ain't good enough to move forward.

Agree with this and the comment you made previously as well.

We are a very counter attacking side (Houllier finally realised this) and until we get better players we won't go anywhere.

The difference between the two managers mentioned above was that O'Neill was good at it.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We won't go down. We've amassed too many points already. We'll stumble through and finish around 10th-13th I expect.

However, if McLeish is still around next season then I can certainly see us being in the mix for relegation.

So we get knocked out of the cup and a thread titled 'relegation' is started. :thumb:

I've felt this for the past few months now it's just I haven't been on Vilatalk all season. I came back on to vent my frustrations on todays game but ended up having a moan about the whole season.

See you at the end of the season :)

Sorry if this post has already been done but what do you think would happen to our club if we did go down? Obviously it would be a blow but would it be the end of the world? Many clubs in the top flight and have gone down in the past and are back among the top teams. Newcastle, and Man City being the obvious two (albeit in special circumstances for the latter).

I just think its something we should all start thinking about because it really could happen this year.

I think it's far less likely to happen this season than it was last.

Houllier had us down in 17th place in the first week of January and only one point off the relegation zone at the end of march.

We may have a dramatic collapse that will plunge us into trouble (McLeish is an old hand at those) but, as things stand, we are not flirting with relegation like last season and there is no justification for this thread.

We won't get relegated, but we'll limp through to a midtable table/bottom half finish, then AM can have a go at sorting out the side.

Yeah and as he showed with blues giving him time and money will see us fly up the league next year.

I'm not interested in what he did at Blues, although i don't think he did that bad a job, bought some good players, and they very difficult to beat. He should be given a chance.

Sorry if this post has already been done but what do you think would happen to our club if we did go down? Obviously it would be a blow but would it be the end of the world? Many clubs in the top flight and have gone down in the past and are back among the top teams. Newcastle, and Man City being the obvious two (albeit in special circumstances for the latter).

I just think its something we should all start thinking about because it really could happen this year.

Houllier had us down in 17th place in the first week of January and only one point off the relegation zone at the end of march.

We may have a dramatic collapse that will plunge us into trouble (McLeish is an old hand at those) but, as things stand, we are not flirting with relegation like last season and there is no justification for this thread.

Last season we had the biggest injury crisis I have seen at Villa Park for years. At times Houllier had to field 7 or 8 youngsters at the same time. Mcleish has hard hardly any injuries problems that you could blame defeats for. On top of this last year we had service from Young and Downing which helps set up many of our goals.

These are the key differences.

Last season we had the biggest injury crisis I have seen at Villa Park for years. At times Houllier had to field 7 or 8 youngsters at the same time. Mcleish has hard hardly any injuries problems that you could blame defeats for. On top of this last year we had service from Young and Downing which helps set up many of our goals.

These are the key differences.

plus Houllier made a marquee signing in Bent for £18m in january which kept us up essentially.

This Jan we signed Robbie Keane till the end of Feb. If we collapse which is highly likely as I think QPR will beat us for a start then March till May will be very difficult working with what we have.

I said to mate at half time during the arsenal game that if they score within the first 10 mins of the second half we would lose. The same thing should have happened at Wolves in the first half, they should have been 3 or 4 up. This team is a total shambles and has been for some time

McLeish hasnt had the injuries that Houllier had ???

So Bent didn;t miss a month , Given didn't miss five weeks, we didn't sign Jenas only for him to crock himself for a year, we didn't lose Lichaj for 4 months, or Herd for two, or Collins for what seems like every other week, or heskey for 3 months...............shall I go on or leave it at that.

God, I know he isn;t Jose Mourinho, but some of the criticism put his way is ridiculous :bang:

We're not too good to go down. And the same goes for a good many of the sides outside the top five or six.

At present we're just a mediocre also-ran, picking up the odd necessary points to ensure we scrape through, whilst underacheiving in spectacular fashion. But we will be there next season because we are not alone.

Its next season which gives me cause for concern.

I agree with the above, we are too good to go down as ridiculous as that sounds. There are worse teams than us at the moment and better teams coming up so something will give sooner or later unless we buck our idea's up.

Few Wolves fans at my work who really are worried at the moment and want Mick gone ASAP. One even turned to me and said 'you think you've got it bad?'

We are a typical mid-table club AT BEST now going absolutely nowhere.

Everything at the club smacks as being mid table, from the board to the players. The only thing that doesn't is the manager who smacks as lower mid table at best. Considering he is the one controlling the playing side, that is a huge worry. Too good to go down? Not by a long shot.

I agree with Richard. We smack of midtable with a perhaps lower midtable manager. But by definition I think that also means we'll be safe over a season, albeit mind-numbingly mediocre in the process.

At times Houllier had to field 7 or 8 youngsters at the same time.

:shock: when was this? I'd struggle to think of any league game when we fielded more than 3 or 4.

I seem to remeber us playing Baker, Hogg, Allbrighton, Clark, Bannan, Herd and Delph under Houllier.

I may be wrong though but I think the previous poster was right though I think that was only once or twice. certainly we had to play about 4 at a time for some games which did not help.

Injuries were really bad under Houllier though, the worst for many seasons. McLeish does not have that excuse.

The more I watch Villa the more I understand why Houllier wanted to get rid of Dunne, Collins and Warnock and rebulid the defence. Apart from Dunne this season the back four have not been good enough for me

Having lost our two most creative players, hired a manager not known for his attacking/creative football and tournicaded our finances, it's no surprise we're playing poor football and conceding each week, whilst creating few chances.

I still think we're a good team, not brilliant but lacking that extra dimension to our game through lack of players in the attacking positions and having an average defence.

Relegation??? It's of course a posibility but unlikely in my opinion.

A win Wednesday would leave with a total of 10 getable points (with 15 games remaining) to reach that magical 40 points mark.

Ok, we face The Barcodes and Citeh straight after but then have a run of four crucial matches, which we should be looking at maximum points from each.

Those games are really important to gain from as we then have a horrendous set of fixtures, akin to December!!!!

Personally, I think we'll finish 12th-15th

Relegation is still very much on for us. McLeish tends to do his "best" work February to May :lol:

How many points did Blues get last season after Feb? Wasnt it about 10 or something like that.

On paper the team he had a blues should not have gone down which is very worrying.

I am prepared to be panicking for the remainder of the season

I seem to remeber us playing Baker, Hogg, Allbrighton, Clark, Bannan, Herd and Delph under Houllier.

I may be wrong though but I think the previous poster was right though I think that was only once or twice. certainly we had to play about 4 at a time for some games which did not help.

Injuries were really bad under Houllier though, the worst for many seasons. McLeish does not have that excuse.

The more I watch Villa the more I understand why Houllier wanted to get rid of Dunne, Collins and Warnock and rebulid the defence. Apart from Dunne this season the back four have not been good enough for me

The most I can find in a league game (not including the last 5 mins of a game) is 5. Home to Spurs on 26/12/10 after 39 minutes we had Lichaj, Delph, Albrighton, Hogg & Delfouneso on the pitch. Though Hogg came off at half time.