Vegetarians / Meat-Eaters

ender4

I eat meat because I prefer the taste. The idea that I shouldn't because the animals are treated badly in their life is completely irrelevant on an individual level. If I don't buy the beef from the shop, it's not gonna give the animal it's life back, nor is it going to stop cows being killed in the future. So while I agree it's shit that they are treated that way, me changing my diet is not going to make any kind of difference to the World, so I do what I want.

But isn't that like saying, "there's no point in voting because my individual vote won't make a difference"?

• Like 1

...I just know that we'd all be far more comfortable on this planet if we all saw eating the meat of other animals in the same way that we see the idea of eating human meat.

I have no problem with people being vegetarian or even people having a problem *with* others eating meat but equating eating human meat with eating other animal meat? What a crock.

*edited in

Please... and extend my derisory 'please' to your likers as well. 

I didn't use the word equate. I said that we could see the idea of eating human meat and animal meat in the same way, as in that they would both be considered deplorable and disgusting, not necessarily equally. And well done to your likers for getting behind your false translation of my words.

• Like 1

I eat meat because I prefer the taste. The idea that I shouldn't because the animals are treated badly in their life is completely irrelevant on an individual level. If I don't buy the beef from the shop, it's not gonna give the animal it's life back, nor is it going to stop cows being killed in the future. So while I agree it's shit that they are treated that way, me changing my diet is not going to make any kind of difference to the World, so I do what I want.

But isn't that like saying, "there's no point in voting because my individual vote won't make a difference"?

Not at all. Because in my point, the result has already been decided - the animals have been and will be killed, regardless of my diet. The result of an election (in most cases) is not decided before the vote.

That's quite an easy position to take. You can do what you want, and I think you should. It's a very reductionist view though. If you're justifying not being a vegetarian by saying that one man won't make a difference then you're lacking some perspicacity. Wouldn't it be nice if no one ate meat? If the animals that we share the earth with were not treated extremely badly and, after their life of misery, killed so that we can eat. I would prefer to live in that world, but I am only responsible for me and what I do. I do think however that vegetarians will end up on the right side of history. 

Eat meat because you like the taste and you find it easy to ignore the bigger picture of what being of a people who eat meat does to both the planet and the creatures you share it with, not because you're just one person and what you do won't make a difference.

I didn't use the word equate. I said that we could see the idea of eating human meat and animal meat in the same way, as in that they would both be considered deplorable and disgusting, not necessarily equally. And well done to your likers for getting behind your false translation of my words.

That's a bigger crock than your first post.

You were comparing human beings eating animal meat with human beings eating other human beings (in that they 'would both be considered deplorable and disgusting' - as elucidated above); putting them on the same plate and eating them on the same fork, if you will. Thus, you were equating the two (even if you thereafter find differences).

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

That's a bigger crock than your first post.

You were comparing human beings eating animal meat with human beings eating other human beings (in that they 'would both be considered deplorable and disgusting' - as elucidated above); putting them on the same plate and eating them on the same fork, if you will. Thus, you were equating the two (even if you thereafter find differences).

No I wasn't but that's fine Snowy. I'm sure you're well intentioned, but I find your posting style consistently overly aggressive and bellicose and don't wish to engage with you. 

• Like 3

No I wasn't but that's fine Snowy. I'm sure you're well intentioned, but I find your posting style consistently overly aggressive and bellicose and don't wish to engage with you.

If it's a similar critique you're after, I find your posting style vacuous, silly and self-obsessed. :)

Edited by snowychap

Â