Vegetarians / Meat-Eaters

ender4

I was brought up in a vegetarian family, there's 8 of us,  I've never poisoned my body with he flesh of a dead animal, and we're all incredibly healthy human beings who have suffered no kind of illnesses, we look just like other humans and we definitely do not smell. 

'Poisoned my body with the flesh of a dead animal'? Oh puh-leese. 

Sounds exactly like the sort of cant we've come to expect from religious zealots. 

• Like 2

Do you eat eggs or dairy products yillan? How can you justify that? Is it the suffering of the animal that is important or just the eating of the flesh?

Yes I eat eggs and dairy products. I have chosen to relieve myself of supporting one industry that relies on animal suffering. That's enough for the moment I think.

I was brought up in a vegetarian family, there's 8 of us,  I've never poisoned my body with he flesh of a dead animal, and we're all incredibly healthy human beings who have suffered no kind of illnesses, we look just like other humans and we definitely do not smell. 

Sounds exactly like the sort of cant we've come to expect from religious zealots. 

Come on mj. You've an IQ of 140+... Don't stoop to a level whereby you attack a person's turn of phrase and make that representative of their entire philosophy. What would MENSA have to say about that?

Been a pescetarian for two years now, feel immensely better physically than I did when eating meat. The stuff I don't get from meat I get from supplements. Id never preach or belittle but for me personally the thought of killing, butchering, cooking and eating another animal is just bizarre but I respect someone who could do that. Buying dead animal in the supermarket is even more odd to me though. Id kill a fish though, they have no souls the scaley briney swines.

I drink almond milk and now and again treat myself to some organic eggs & cheese that I know have been sourced responsibly.

Its very easy and less expensive to eat (properly) healthily imo.

Haven't missed the clichéd bacon sandwich at all or the traditional Sunday roast. The only thing I have had a couple of cravings for is chorizo bizarrely.

Anyway, yes I'm a pescetarian, I feel better for it, that's all that counts for me.

Do you eat eggs or dairy products yillan? How can you justify that? Is it the suffering of the animal that is important or just the eating of the flesh?

Yes I eat eggs and dairy products. I have chosen to relieve myself of supporting one industry that relies on animal suffering. That's enough for the moment I think.

Aren't you worried about being on the wrong side of history? What did them poor battery hens do to you? What makes broilers so special that you'll spare them? :lol:

I'm joking of course, but fwiw I'm pretty sure production animals suffer far more than meat animals. Morally, you'd be better off ditching the eggs and dairy and sticking with the meat IMO.

I agree with Mooney's distain for the 'meat is poison' rhetoric as well. The general populace are unhealthy enough as it is without that kind of rubbish gaining traction.

• Like 1

Come on mj. You've an IQ of 140+... Don't stoop to a level whereby you attack a person's turn of phrase and make that representative of their entire philosophy. What would MENSA have to say about that?

Couldn't give a **** what MENSA think. 

Your original post was a fine, rational, un-hectoring 'food for thought' piece - pragmatic, and admirably devoid of emotional guff. 

PiFacE's was just holier-than-thou sermonising. 

• Like 1

I've decided to give vegetarianism a go. I've tried in the past and not had much success, but I reckon I'll stick to it this time. I've read a bit of this thread and it's not that I think by not eating meat I'm going to make a difference, I just know that we'd all be far more comfortable on this planet if we all saw eating the meat of other animals in the same way that we see the idea of eating human meat. If everyone was veggie, we'd be better off, so I'm going to start. Be the change and all that. 

I saw Bickster argued that the animals wouldn't exist if we didn't like to eat them. Well that may well be true, but at the same time they're not going to be up in Cow heaven looking down and thinking if only they ate meat I could be down there getting force fed and slaughtered. Mainly because there's probably no such thing as cow heaven, but also because a life as a beef cow is quite unpleasant.

And yes you're thinking, well I know that the cows and pigs suffer really horrible lives before they're stunned and killed, and when I hear stories in the Mail about dogs being hurt or neglected I get really angry, so I probably have the correct moral outrage to become a vegetarian, but on the other hand I like eating meat and life is easier when you eat meat versus not eating meat. And that second thought will cause cognitive dissonance and you'll aggressively ignore the first thought probably with some sort of dismissive, 'bloody hippies', or 'bacon tastes good' rhetoric. Do you want me to tell you that that's ok? Well it isn't. Eating meat makes the world a worse place to live.

I'll probably be tucking into a burger by this time next week, but that's not ok and I don't want to. How am I going to tell my dad? He'll be crushed

I gave up red meat about 10 years ago. Pork about 5 years ago. Chicken about 2 year ago. I eat turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas. We get "kosher" turkey, cuz they say the animals don't suffer. Tastes incredible. I do eat seafood, but sparingly. Tomorrow night I'm going out to dinner with my cousin, and I'll probably end up ordering a scallop dish. Love scallops. But I can go months on a strict veggie diet. Lots of chick peas and pasta, fruits and veggies. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol (both hereditary) so my diet is good for me. Every now and then I will get cravings though. Just the other night my neighbor was cooking bacon, and you could just about see a cartoon scent waft into my apartment window. But then I really think about bacon and my stomach turns. 

as a keen diver whose caught more than my fair share of scallops over the years and taken them home to gut and eat , i can tell you now  the scallops suffer immensely  .. you have to prise them open , ripping the poor thing then you have to use a knife to separate it from the shell ..all the while whilst it is still alive  ..often they are still pulsing (probably death throes ) when you chuck them in the pan

Somehow the idea of killing and eating a mollusk that lives in a mudbank doesn't seem in anyway similar to killing and eating a mammal. But at the end of the day, we all make compromises in many different ways. You may be right that scallops suffer, and feel pain, and maybe even the emotional distress that comes with pain. And you never know, I may phase out seafood from my diet altogether too...

Edited by maqroll

I have huge respect for vegetarians because I simply couldn't do it. As with most lifestyle choices the zealots are clearings in the woods but I do respect the discipline involved in not having the biggest bloodiest steak on the menu.

• Like 1

I'd imagine cooking it would kill the nutrients but not sure about that. I think when you kill an animal and took into to it straight away the meat is warm anyway. Which I think is one of the theories as to why we cook food today because it replicates the warm taste of our kills from back when we were hunter gatherers.

Didn't meat help us evolve? or is that just a theory? by cooking the meat, they were able to get more of the nutrients out of the meat instead of eating it raw, which in turn led to growth? our ancestors.

Meat in the diet helped us wean babies earlier, which meant the mother could get knocked up sooner which means a larger population. That lead to our species thriving and to a certain extent evolving. I think.

• Like 1

Didn't meat help us evolve? or is that just a theory? by cooking the meat, they were able to get more of the nutrients out of the meat instead of eating it raw, which in turn led to growth? our ancestors.

Meat in the diet helped us wean babies earlier, which meant the mother could get knocked up sooner which means a larger population. That lead to our species thriving and to a certain extent evolving. I think.

Plus protein and Iron helps women concieve.

Â