Vegetarians / Meat-Eaters

ender4

Isn't it the process of killing with veal though? Aren't they isolated and starved? Certainly can understand how that's more objectionable then bolting a lamb in the head.

Not that I care. Veal is **** dee-lish. drooling-2.gif

I really dont mind the veggie mince

Yeah, Quorn mince is really good. Can't taste the difference between it and meat in a good spag bol anymore (and thanks to the amount of pasta meals she makes for herself, the missus does a cracking spag bol).

I also had the best peanut satay "chicken" skewers ever at the old Eat and Two Veg restaurant in London. Honest to McGrath, better than any real chicken skewers I've ever had.

Really? Would you have to starve it?

Can't remember exactly, but I'm sure it was something like that.

Found the below, but for obvious reasons it's not wholly sans agenda...

***WARNING: IF YOU'RE SENSITIVE TO ANIMAL STUFF, DON'T READ ON***

British Meat.com"]Veal : A Cruel Meal

calfdead.jpg

A calf lies dead in the slatted stall in which it stood for all of its life, with

no mother, sunlight or decent food. This is the fate of a calf raised for veal

The veal calf industry is one of the most reprehensible of all the kinds of intensive animal agriculture. Veal calves are a by-product of the dairy industry; they are "manufactured" by "milk machines" - dairy cows. Female calves are raised to be dairy cows: They are confined and fed synthetic hormones to increase growth and production and antibiotics to keep them alive in their unhealthy, unnatural environments. They are artificially inseminated and, after giving birth, are milked for several years until their production levels drop, then they are slaughtered.

Male calves are taken from their mothers shortly after birth. Some are slaughtered soon after birth for "bob veal." Others are raised in "open pens," a kind of minimum security prison, and even then they are sometimes chained. Most are destined for the veal crate.

Solitary Confinement

The veal crate is a wooden restraining device that is the veal calf's permanent home. It is so small (22" x 54") that the calves cannot turn around or even lie down and stretch and is the ultimate in high-profit, confinement animal agriculture.(1) Designed to prevent movement (exercise), the crate does its job of atrophying the calves' muscles, thus producing tender "gourmet" veal.

"Feeding" Time

The calves are generally fed a milk substitute intentionally lacking in iron and other essential nutrients. This diet keeps the animals anemic and creates the pale pink or white color desired in the finished product. Craving iron, the calves lick urine-saturated slats and any metallic parts of their stalls. Farmers also withhold water from the animals, who, always thirsty, are driven to drink a large quantity of the high-fat liquid feed.

Because of such extremely unhealthy living conditions and restricted diets, calves are susceptible to a long list of diseases, including chronic pneumonia and "scours," or constant diarrhea. Consequently, they must be given massive doses of antibiotics and other drugs just to keep them alive. (The antibiotics are passed on to consumers in the meat.) The calves often suffer from wounds caused by the constant rubbing against the crates.

A Fate Worse Than Death

About 14 weeks after their birth, the calves are slaughtered. The quality of this "food," laden with chemicals, lacking in fiber and other nutrients, diseased and processed, is another matter. The real issue is the calves' experience. During their brief lives, they never see the sun or touch the Earth. They never see or taste the grass. Their anemic bodies crave proper sustenance. Their muscles ache for freedom and exercise. They long for maternal care. They are kept in darkness except to be fed two to three times a day for 20 minutes. The calves have committed no crime, yet have been sentenced to a fate comparable to any Nazi concentration camp.

veals.jpg

Still wouldn't stop me chowing down, but then it's not like I'd be eating it regularly. Once in a blue moon would do me. Sooooo tasty.

The thing is with veal is because people choose not to eat it, whats the point of keeping a male cow. Female, fine spend money on food injectons etc, because it will supply you an income from the milk and then beef when the milk has gone. But the male cow can only give beef, its not worth the cost of feeding, vets bills and injections before it is old enough to supply enough meat, or to satisfy the consumers demand that it has had a happy life. If people ate veal it would live a little longer, strange as that sounds

said it before if i go out to dinner with veggies I make it a point of ordering steak and having it as rare as possible ..if i could get them to kill at the table then that would be even better :-)

You sound lovely to be around....

Vegetarians who eat fish. They can **** right off. I've never understood or had it explained to me why they think it's ok to eat fish and not other meat.

Completely agree with this.

Can't understand how someone think that way.

Veal doesn't have to be raised in a crate. As has been pointed out, there are plenty of male calves that simply get destroyed needlessly. There are some farmers raising free range veal, but they currently have a limited market due to stupid predjudices.

I agree with whoever said that "food" = "meat". Vegetables are pretty much just a garnish as far as I'm concerned. And fruit is a somewhat unappetising form of medicine, not food.

said it before if i go out to dinner with veggies I make it a point of ordering steak and having it as rare as possible ..if i could get them to kill at the table then that would be even better :-)

You sound lovely to be around....

not if you are a juicy cow though :winkold:

To just simply disregard and feel it's okay to end another living things life, when it's not needed for survival is completely greedy and selfish and wrong.

95% of the meat you eat must by the same token have been thankful to have had a life in the first place. Meat is farmed, the reason the animals were bred in the first place is because people want to eat them.

Anyway, has anyone cracked the vagitarian gag yet?

am a Carnivore but i respect Vegetarians and have some friends that are vegetarians as well. Dont have a problem unless they try convert me then im not a fan.

Tried being a vegetarian a couple of years ago and its tough when you eat meat your whole life and only lasted about a month

I have a friend who is a veggie and thus she has made her child a veggie as well (child is now 6) ... I just find it wrong to impose that on a child ..the child has to eat whole grain rice , bread etc and all the other hippy food ... the poor thing is poohing herself inside out all the time

Exact same thing with my friend, except that he's 19 so imagine how he feels.

Oh, and his mother isn't just vegetarian, she's vegan so no eggs and no milks. Christ.

I don't eat beef, duck, or lamb. Pork very rarely.

I eat a lot of seafood and chicken.

Mmmmm beef. Mutton is good as well.

Duck I'm not a big fan of.

The way I see it - the purpose of life for humanity is to create society, technology, culture, all the abstract things we consider as uniquely human. Similarly, the purpose of life for animals is IMV to provide nutritious sustenance for humans, rather than just, you know, existing for the sake of existence. The only caveat I think is that the killing has to be quick and painless. IMO, it's wrong for humans to have to undergo excessive pain and suffering even as we pursue our ambitions and try to fulfill our purposes. The same applies for food animals.

Having said that, I've been considering vegetarianism of late due to the adverse impact excessive demand for meat has on the environment. These days I do try to limit my consumption of meat but sometimes thick juicy steaks just look.......irresistible :lol:

I don't eat beef, duck, or lamb. Pork very rarely.

I eat a lot of seafood and chicken.

Mmmmm beef. Mutton is good as well.

Duck I'm not a big fan of.

The way I see it - the purpose of life for humanity is to create society, technology, culture, all the abstract things we consider as uniquely human. Similarly, the purpose of life for animals is IMV to provide nutritious sustenance for humans, rather than just, you know, existing for the sake of existence. The only caveat I think is that the killing has to be quick and painless. IMO, it's wrong for humans to have to undergo excessive pain and suffering even as we pursue our ambitions and try to fulfill our purposes. The same applies for food animals.

Having said that, I've been considering vegetarianism of late due to the adverse impact excessive demand for meat has on the environment. These days I do try to limit my consumption of meat but sometimes thick juicy steaks just look.......irresistible :lol:

Whenever I get the odd craving for red meat, it's never steak that I want, but a nice juicy cheeseburger. I miss them. :cry:

We Probably wouldn't be here if we'd have stayed veggie!

"Because meat is relatively easy to digest and rich in calories and nutrients, early Homo lost the need for the big intestines of apes and earlier hominids. This freed up energy for use by other organs. This surplus of energy seems to have been diverted to one organ in particular - the brain. But scavenging meat from under the noses of big cats is a risky business, so good scavengers needed to be smart. At this stage in our evolution, a big brain was associated with greater intellect. Big brains require lots of energy to operate: the human brain uses 20% of the body's total energy production. But the massive calorific hit provided by meat kick-started an increase in the brain size of early humans."

...Gets Tin Hat

Â