Vegetarians / Meat-Eaters

ender4

Lack of protein can also cause low sperm count. For those who don't eat meat from a moral point of view, but still eat fish isn't that a bit contradictory. 

Not sure if you're referring to me there, but I prefer eating fish because I just think it tastes nicer. There's no moral reasoning.

Lack of protein can also cause low sperm count. For those who don't eat meat from a moral point of view, but still eat fish isn't that a bit contradictory. 

Not sure if you're referring to me there, but I prefer eating fish because I just think it tastes nicer. There's no moral reasoning.

I think he means that if you choose not to eat lamb, chicken, cow etc because of the animals feelings, cruelty etc.. then it's contradictory to eat a little fishy on your dishy.

I wasn't referring to you Shilzz. It was just a general point because I know some people don't eat meat because of how the animals are caged, slaughtered etc but they still eat fish. 

When you say fish tastes nicer, there are so many different meats with different tastes textures and same for fish etc.

I wasn't referring to you Shilzz. It was just a general point because I know some people don't eat meat because of how the animals are caged, slaughtered etc but they still eat fish. 

When you say fish tastes nicer, there are so many different meats with different tastes textures and same for fish etc.

I think this is a valid point to some extent. While I rarely stop to consider such matters, it sits much more easily with me that the fish i'm eating has been line caught from the sea, where as the chicken I would usually buy has spent the entirety of it's life in some kind of a cage.

It's not black and white, some fish are kept in pretty poor conditions too, but eating fish can be a much more ethically acceptable way to get your protein.

It's not black and white, some fish are kept in pretty poor conditions too, but eating fish can be a much more ethically acceptable way to get your protein.

Wild salmon is like £18/kg. If you're getting all of your protein from that you either need to be making £50k/yr or have very low living costs.

Depends if you mean canned tuna?

The real thing is a different kettle of fish, a thousand times nicer, but also a thousand times more expensive.

Salmon, while unoriginal, is always king for me. You can nearly always find it on offer from the fish counter in tescos, though you may have to buy a whole side or fish and fillet it down yourself. But at half price (which it often is) it becomes more affordable than chicken, lamb or steak.

Beyond that, Monkfish and Swordfish are meaty options that always go down well. It's worth avoiding crap like pollock and cobbler, it doesn't taste of much and will probably put you off eating fish.

When I was at Galway races, my girlfriend's friend brought home a chicken nutritionist, he knew everything about farming and basically said makes no difference to the chicken if he's out in the sun or in a cage.

I love fish, but I never eat it day to day. So, from fish munchers, what's good?  You can't just eat tuna all day everyday can you?  I love grilled fish or bbq'd fish especially.

Tuna, mackerel, salmon, cod, prawns, haddock, hake, basa etc..

Now & again: Trout bbq'd is immense, crab, scallops, squid

There's loads more I am forgetting

Wild salmon is like £18/kg. If you're getting all of your protein from that you either need to be making £50k/yr or have very low living costs.

It's always, always on offer at half price at either Tescos or Ocado. As i said above, you might need to buy a whole side/fish and freeze some of it, but at £9/kg that makes it cheaper than most meats.

If you look on the Ocado Website at the moment they have sides on at half price, and smoked salmon at half price. Tescos fish counter also has sides at half price at the moment.

I'd never buy it at full price, as you say, it would bankrupt you pretty quickly.

The good thing as well is the versatility, take tuna for example, it comes tinned or in steak, you can do anything with it. Prawns encompass most cooking styles: English, Spanish, Chinese, Indian etc...

It's always, always on offer at half price at either Tescos or Ocado. As i said above, you might need to buy a whole side/fish and freeze some of it, but at £9/kg that makes it cheaper than most meats.

That's not wild though, it's farmed. It is good that thanks to the price war atm you can get farmed for <£10/kg but that's not very ethical.

Also, I buy chicken in bulk for £5/kg. You can't even get farmed salmon for that price I don't think.

That's not wild though, it's farmed. It is good that thanks to the price war atm you can get farmed for <£10/kg but that's not very ethical.

Also, I buy chicken in bulk for £5/kg. You can't even get farmed salmon for that price I don't think.

You're right, it's not wild. In fairness though, I never mentioned that I only eat wild salmon. If i'm being honest, the only consideration that comes into my mind when buying salmon is the price. I can't afford free range chicken nor wild salmon. 

I also said it's possibly to eat fish from a more ethically sound source, but I was also keen to stress that not all fish trumps meat when it comes to living conditions.

I'm not on any moral mission here, I simply said that I like to eat fish because i prefer the taste, and showed how it was affordable.

With regards to wild fish, yes it is a little more important where it comes from. I will always try to make sure that wild fish has been sourced ethically because there's enough choice available to make that decision within my budget. It's also important to consider which species are in trouble (cod etc) and make sensible choices accordingly. This was the crux of my 'line caught' comment.

Edited by Shillzz

it is perfectly possible to be a completely healthy person without consuming meat.

What do you use as your main source of protein?

I eat a lot of eggs, Quorn Mince and Quorn Chicken. I try to have at least one of those a day (a lot of the time it's two).

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to call you out on your fish buying ethics Shilzz. :lol:

I have no leg to stand on morally here whatsoever.

I was just trying to point out that this bit:

but eating fish can be a much more ethically acceptable way to get your protein.

is only true if you spend a shit load on the wild stuff. Unless you draw the ethics line between the well-being of fish and chickens I suppose.

When I was at Galway races, my girlfriend's friend brought home a chicken nutritionist, he knew everything about farming and basically said makes no difference to the chicken if he's out in the sun or in a cage.

and yet when they gave consumers in a blind test chickens that had been reared via different methods ( caged to free range to in a field listening to Beethoven)  the consumers pretty much all preferred the taste of the free range 

the bulking point was the caged chicken could retail for around £2 where as the Beethoven chicken cost £30  .. and then people lost their moral objections and said they would buy the caged one

• Like 1

Â