All hail Stiliyan Petrov!

momo

I actually think this season has been his best for us. Been the stand out player for us in a lot of games, and has surely scored more/set up more this season than in recent seasons? McLeish seems to be getting good out of him rather than his 2yd sideways passes under Houiller and very defensive positioning under MON.

Bit unfair IMO to say if only we had the player from Celtic. Until this season he's been played as a holding midfielder which makes it much more difficult to score shed loads.

And he was put there because he didn't deliver when he was played further forward, with the exception of the first game away at Wet Spam.

I still think his debut at West Ham was one of the best Villa debuts I've ever seen and if that shot of his hadn't been cleared off the line who knows what might have been. Still been a great servant for the club, but perhaps not exactly the player I thought we had signed at the time.

I think I 'controversially' agree with Ulver slightly.

If you think about Petrov in the grand scheme of the premiership and world football, he isnt anything more than a half decent footballer. That said, he has been a great servant to AVFC.

I think I 'controversially' agree with Ulver slightly.

If you think about Petrov in the grand scheme of the premiership and world football, he isnt anything more than a half decent footballer. That said, he has been a great servant to AVFC.

Is "half decent" the same as "bog standard", then?

Both underestimate what he has brought to the side IMO

Good player, great servant.

Can't help watching the video with a bit of disappointment - Barry, Young, Milner, Laursen, Mellberg, Downing. But then you spot Harewood, and remember it wasn't all perfect!

yep, some great players have disappeared in teh last few years - we had a great team /s for a while.

and his debut was amazing; didnt martin petrov say he shouldve signed for a bhigger club than villa when he left celtic and that he was a bulgarian national hero etc etc. i think his wedding was on live tv over there!

I think he's very god. I've never, and will never, understand why some people think he's so bad.

I think he's in a low reward position, that he plays very well.

Easily our best midfielder currently

Fits into our stature as a club pretty well, not world class, not atrocious, form heading in the wrong direction over the last few years. He looks better this season but thats mostly because the players around him are not as good as they were the previous seasons. Used to be the weakest link in a solid midfield, now he´s the most consistent player in a weak midfield.

Calling him God mate is a bit too much :winkold:

Never really felt that Petrov has met my expectations of him when he first signed from Celtic. After his first game for us i thought we had signed a world class player for a pittance but as it has turned out the fee MON paid for Petrov was about right. I also think that quotes of being the complete midfielder are from fans with blinkers on. He lacks pace, is unable to play the killer ball and consistantly plays negative passes when he should be looking forward.

If your going to quote someone being the complete midfielder then Souness would be my choice. In his pomp he had everything.

I think he's very god. I've never, and will never, understand why some people think he's so bad.

Don't think many think he is "so bad" just that he has not been good value for an £8.5m acquisition on £50k+ p.w. and was the weak link in a midfield with Young, Milner and Downing or in a CM pairing with Barry. They are all top players, acquired for not dissimilar money (with the exception of Barry obviously), and now playing at big clubs (in the PL era) challenging for Europe. I don't think any of those aspiring clubs would have come in for Stan at any point.

He has looked better this year in a more advanced role BUT still lacks the pace and energy, IMO, to be a complete PL CM'er, particularly in a two man CM.

Don't think many think he is "so bad" just that he has not been good value for an £8.5m acquisition on £50k+ p.w. and was the weak link in a midfield with Young, Milner and Downing or in a CM pairing with Barry. They are all top players, acquired for not dissimilar money (with the exception of Barry obviously), and now playing at big clubs (in the PL era) challenging for Europe. I don't think any of those aspiring clubs would have come in for Stan at any point.

He has looked better this year in a more advanced role BUT still lacks the pace and energy, IMO, to be a complete PL CM'er, particularly in a two man CM.

Don't know where you got the £8.5m from. The generally published figure is £6.5m, potentially rising to £8m (We don't know how much of the extra has been paid of course*).

So, your "Not dissimilar" transfer fees are in fact

S Petrov - £6.5m rising to £8m

A Young - £8m rising to £9.65m

J Milner - £12m

S Downing - £10m rising to £12m

That's not exactly my idea of "not dissimilar" sums of money!

(* or maybe someone given to poring over the AVFC accounts does!)

Don't know where you got the £8.5m from. The generally published figure is £6.5m, potentially rising to £8m (We don't know how much of the extra has been paid of course*).

So, your "Not dissimilar" transfer fees are in fact

S Petrov - £6.5m rising to £8m

A Young - £8m rising to £9.65m

J Milner - £12m

S Downing - £10m rising to £12m

That's not exactly my idea of "not dissimilar" sums of money!

(* or maybe someone given to poring over the AVFC accounts does!)

Bit nit picky mate. £6.5m rising to £8m is not a million miles away from £8 rising to £9.65m for Young (same ball park) and the other two were slightly later in an ever inflating market.