All hail Stiliyan Petrov!

momo

The shit he's taken on here and other less popular/credible villa sites is outrageous

Agreed.

Can never understand why he gets such shit sometimes.

Been a good player for us and a good representative of the club.

That's the boo boys for you. Loyal servant, never complained and always gives his best. Can't ask for much else really.

Thoroughly enjoyed that montage, brought back some great memories.

Its a long running tradition of Villa fans not understanding Central Midfielders, I remember when plenty of people used to moan about Des Bremner

Yes bickster mate - remember this well - Cowans - silky passer - Mortimer the box to box kingpin and Des the no nonsense midfield tackler - takes no prisoners. I remember folks moaning at Des - but those three made Villa tick. Oh! how we could do with three like them now!

Its a long running tradition of Villa fans not understanding Central Midfielders, I remember when plenty of people used to moan about Des Bremner

Yes bickster mate - remember this well - Cowans - silky passer - Mortimer the box to box kingpin and Des the no nonsense midfield tackler - takes no prisoners. I remember folks moaning at Des - but those three made Villa tick. Oh! how we could do with three like them now!

Absolutely Naz. couldn't agree more

I said (somewhat harshly) after Bolton away last year, that Petrov should never play for us again. He has really made me eat my words this season, and he's given his all. 3 cracking goals from 30 yards this season, and all important ones.

Cheers for belittling the fans there claiming they don't understand central midfielders bickster hopefully one day we'll become an expert at the subject like yourself

Well since I've been following the Villa there have been plenty of fans that have said various central midfielders are not very good, currently its Petrov in the past we've had Des Bremner, George Boateng and plenty more besides and not one of them has been "shite" or whatever else has been levelled against them. Yep we've had some shit ones too along the way, Kinsella (king of pointing), Ovynd Leonhardsen (the forgotten man) and they only ever seemed to get the same kind of vitriol some of the much better players we've had get. It's not belittling fans, it's an observation made of over 35 years supporting the Villa, there are quite large numbers of Villa fans that really don't understand the roles central midfielders ply and are asked to play. Sorry for having an opinion.

Cheers for belittling the fans there claiming they don't understand central midfielders bickster hopefully one day we'll become an expert at the subject like yourself

Well since I've been following the Villa there have been plenty of fans that have said various central midfielders are not very good, currently its Petrov in the past we've had Des Bremner, George Boateng and plenty more besides and not one of them has been "shite" or whatever else has been levelled against them. Yep we've had some shit ones too along the way, Kinsella (king of pointing), Ovynd Leonhardsen (the forgotten man) and they only ever seemed to get the same kind of vitriol some of the much better players we've had get. It's not belittling fans, it's an observation made of over 35 years supporting the Villa, there are quite large numbers of Villa fans that really don't understand the roles central midfielders ply and are asked to play. Sorry for having an opinion.

Having an opinion is fine. Its belittling other people's opinions that 03butpau is referring to in his post. So for all those people, of which I include myself, that disagree with you sorry that we have an opinion that differs from yours and, of course, means that we know nothing about CM'ers!

Having an opinion is fine. Its belittling other people's opinions that 03butpau is referring to in his post. So for all those people, of which I include myself, that disagree with you sorry that we have an opinion that differs from yours and, of course, means that we know nothing about CM'ers!

My point exactly barrysboots by saying it's a long running tradition villa fans don't understand central midfielders is outrageous assumption just my opinion

Well since I've been following the Villa there have been plenty of fans that have said various central midfielders are not very good, currently its Petrov in the past we've had Des Bremner, George Boateng and plenty more besides and not one of them has been "shite" or whatever else has been levelled against them.

I cant remember many people slagging off Boateng...

I think Stan gets stick because he had such a good debut and set such a high standard, then disappeared for months. Over the past few seasons we've witnessed our midfield get overrun on too many occasions to mention, and as the lynchpin and captain he really should have got stuck in more. And as club captain he will naturally be the lightning rod for criticism, as when people see the captain go missing in games they really have to ask why he has that honour in the first place. I suppose as people have said, his positive influence behind the scenes has proven to be his biggest asset.

He's been a good club servant, but a distinctly average player. Apart from some of his screamers in that compilation I will mostly remember him for dying on his feet from 60 minutes onwards in too many games to mention and then walking round the pitch like a zombie. He pops up every now and again and plays a blinder, like in the Man City game earlier this year, but they are too few and far between. I dont think he has ever got to grips with the role that successive managers wanted him to play.

Other fans have opinions to, the fact they might not coincide with yours doesn't make you right and them wrong. As for understanding the roles of central midfielders, is their some definitive document outlining what a central midfielder should play like or do, if their is could you please let the large number of Villa fans have it. In your opinion they obviously need help, you being the in house expert on how a midfielder should play.

I cant remember many people slagging off Boateng...

Oh they did a plenty, George the crab, never passes forwards, never does anything positive, at Coventry he used to pop up in the box and score goals he doesn't even do that anymore... went on for quite some time.

Its a familiar tale. It's similar stuff to what has been levelled at Petrov. Those players do that by and large because its what they've been told to do, it's no coincidence that Petrov has suddenly appearing much further forward and is scoring goals and playing a more attacking role this season, he hasn't suddenly woken up and decided this himself, it's what is asked of him by the manager. Just like previously he was asked to be the defensive midfielder, just like Boateng was and Bremner.

i agree with the above

despite him being one of our best players, take the captaincy off him so he can concentrate on his own game and not worry about the other players, to which hes not very good at doing anyway

captaincy to dunne

i agree with the above

despite him being one of our best players, take the captaincy off him so he can concentrate on his own game and not worry about the other players, to which hes not very good at doing anyway

captaincy to dunne

**** no. He doesn't deserve to captain our club.

Let it be Given or Gabby.