All hail Stiliyan Petrov!

momo

Petrov proved today why he's just an average journeyman.

He may be a nice bloke and a great guy to have around behind the scenes and on the training ground, but he's no leader and such a powderpuff on the field. Just the sort of man to captain a sinking ship.

We have Bannan, Gardner, Herd, and Ireland and yet they didn't start. Petrov is past him prime and is just getting worse. Delph is a championship players at best. Those 4 guys have either made a name for themselves or at least have great potential and probably deserve a chance.

We have Bannan, Gardner, Herd, and Ireland and yet they didn't start. Petrov is past him prime and is just getting worse. Delph is a championship players at best. Those 4 guys have either made a name for themselves or at least have great potential and probably deserve a chance.

Herd was injured and Gardner is on loan...

Petrov is past him prime and is just getting worse.

Probably MOTM in the previous game, scored 3 goals this season already and probably a few assists. He had a bad game by all accounts, it happens to everyone.

He had a bad game, IMO, because McLeish sold him short. Two men in CM against Plop's three meant that we were always going to be short. He did the same with Delph - he wants to turn him into a DCM when he will never be a DCM. He should have gone with:

--------------- Clark --------------

------------------------ Delph -----

---- Stan ---------------------------

And combated their three and left our front three to get on with attacking.

It was this formation at the start of the last of MON's seasons that allowed us to beat them, and deservedly so, at Anfield.

To play a top 6 side with 3 in CM with only two CM'ers is impossible, unless you have Viera and Petit maybe.

McLeish just hasn't got a clue.

And 4-4-2 is not more attacking if you never have the ball. 4-5-1/4-3-3 can be just as attacking if played correctly as shown by Barca etc..

Herd was injured and Gardner is on loan...

Gardner was sent on loan before he got a chance.

i dont agree with a 3 man centre midfield, never have no matter who it is, especially 2 kids, but i do agree that petrov needs freedom to attack and not be restricted to covering the back line

if we had a decent midfielder sitting behind petrov, you would only need one

to add, the wingers should be tracking back and helping as well, dont give them an easy ride

i dont agree with a 3 man centre midfield, never have no matter who it is, especially 2 kids, but i do agree that petrov needs freedom to attack and not be restricted to covering the back line

If you look at results over the past 5 or 6 years when we play the Big 6, particularly Plop, Arsenal and Chelski who tend to play 4-5-1/4-3-3, our better results typically come when we match up to this system, keep it tight and frustrate them. When we try to go 4-4-2 we invariably get swamped by them in CM.

Petrov is past him prime and is just getting worse.

Probably MOTM in the previous game, scored 3 goals this season already and probably a few assists. He had a bad game by all accounts, it happens to everyone.

Agreed.

Some seem very at the ready to criticise Stan whenever they can. Doesn't matter how many good games he has, as soon as he has a bad one they're on his back.

Doesn't surprise me that he looked far worse playing alongside Delph, he'd manage to make Zidane look a clown.

Petrov had at one point the most interceptions in the league, don't know if that's still the case, he's also scored three excellent goals. I'd say he's having a good season from what I've seen.

If that idiot sells him in January I fear for us as we're then only left with Gabby and the kids who give a crap about the club.

Favourite goal out of that lot was the Palace goal. Fantastic day out with a late Petrov equaliser. Perfect.

I've always supported Petrov, like I do now with Ireland. I feel though that they get the same treatment, probably because they're not the perfect Centre Midfielders we want. They do different jobs to your bog standard player and I love them both for what they do, especially Stan!!