1. 1. McLeish - Yes, No or Unsure

• Yes - He can take us forward
    • No - We need someone better
    • Unsure - Still need more time

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His appointment has been a total disaster. The style of football is....well there is no style at all. It's by far the worst I've ever seen us play, and I sat through some awful perfomances under Gregory and GTII.

We all saw this coming as soon as he got the job.

The most worrying thing is that he's not going anywhere. Our chaiman is also clueless.

How many points do we think we will get in December?

Man Ure (H) 0 pts

Bolton (A) 1 pt

Liverpool (H) 1 pt

Arsenal (H) 0 pts

Stoke City (A) 1 pt

Chelsea (A) 0 pts

So hopefully a grand total of 3 pts from 18. Leaving us with 19 pts and looking at 2012 worried.

Man Ure (H) 0 pts

Bolton (A) 0 pts

Liverpool (H) 0 pts

Arsenal (H) 0 pts

Stoke City (A) 0 pts

Chelsea (A) 0 pts

How many points do we think we will get in December?

Man Ure (H) 0 pts

Bolton (A) 1 pt

Liverpool (H) 1 pt

Arsenal (H) 0 pts

Stoke City (A) 1 pt

Chelsea (A) 0 pts

So hopefully a grand total of 3 pts from 18. Leaving us with 19 pts and looking at 2012 worried.

Man Ure (H) 0 pts

Bolton (A) 0 pts

Liverpool (H) 0 pts

Arsenal (H) 0 pts

Stoke City (A) 0 pts

Chelsea (A) 0 pts

Now that's what I call playing it safe. No expectation equals no disappointment!

he is the worst manger in the world EVER !!!!!!!!!!

NO

No, I won't accept that. Surely the prat with the wellies who managed Wimbledon a few years ago is worse!!

I dont know about that. The wellies were quite entertaining so surely therefore he is better than Mcleish as he offered more entertainment. He wins purely on the grounds of footwear :lol:

he is the worst manger in the world EVER !!!!!!!!!!

NO

No, I won't accept that. Surely the prat with the wellies who managed Wimbledon a few years ago is worse!!

I dont know about that. The wellies were quite entertaining so surely therefore he is better than Mcleish as he offered more entertainment. He wins purely on the grounds of footwear :lol:

Fair enough, I concede. The wellies were more entertaining than watching McLeish waving his arms about.

McLeish is therefore, through lack of any entertaining footwear, the worst manager in the world ever!!!!!!!

I think given both time and backing he could probably take us forward, so voted "Yes".

I don't think he will be given enough of either though.

Really Jon?!?! :?

You think in time AM could turn out to be a good appointment?

In theory yes Wiggs.

In practice, no, as he will be given neither the time nor the resources. The fans don't want him, and he'd need to be spectacularly good in terms of style of play and results to trun that around. At the moment, he's achieved neither, and the fans' ire is building hugely.

Those that on the surface were prepared to give him 5 or 10 minutes to see how he did have done that, and are now fully into the "get him out" camp.

I can't see how he's going to be good enough to pull this around in ths short term (which is all he's got). We're going to need to see a massive improvement, and quickly. I don't hold out much hope.

What theory is this?

In what way will would he be a good appointment with time?

I was prepared to give him a chance, I have done, it's been abysmal.

I think given both time and backing he could probably take us forward, so voted "Yes".

I don't think he will be given enough of either though.

Really Jon?!?! :?

You think in time AM could turn out to be a good appointment?

In theory yes Wiggs.

In practice, no, as he will be given neither the time nor the resources. The fans don't want him, and he'd need to be spectacularly good in terms of style of play and results to trun that around. At the moment, he's achieved neither, and the fans' ire is building hugely.

Those that on the surface were prepared to give him 5 or 10 minutes to see how he did have done that, and are now fully into the "get him out" camp.

I can't see how he's going to be good enough to pull this around in ths short term (which is all he's got). We're going to need to see a massive improvement, and quickly. I don't hold out much hope.

What theory is this?

In what way will would he be a good appointment with time?

I was prepared to give him a chance, I have done, it's been abysmal.

Im with POB on this one Jon lad. I think even if he was given funds, he would not spend them wisely and even if he did i dont think he has the tecnical brain to make it work on the pitch.

The way I see it, he has had all summer to work with the team and work on the team getting it to play how he wants it to play. Defensive drills, Fitness drills, and attacking drills. He spoke of great things, and an exciting attacking game with the fans at their meeting early in the summer, so I thought maybe he will try something different to what he did at sha. I thought at that time, I'll give him a chance to prove himself.

So far I see no visble signs of improvement, only reverting to type, the sha type that got them relegated. No improvement on the defence which was shocking for most of last season even though he had all summer to sort it out, the midfield that most could see was physically weak in the centre was not addressed.

His purchases have been poor. He tried to address the lack of creativity with N'Zogbia, who he can't seem to get playing, and even then he is not the creative force of Young or even Downing. I get that he has lost some key players, and not spent all of the money received in, but he is not the only manager in this boat in the PL. He has bought Hutton who looks next to useless at RB. Jenas who has been injury prone for the last few seasons. Given is his one decent buy, but i think that was because Houllier had done most of the work in Jan to get him in. Seriously McLeish is doing a very bad job of proving me wrong, and more importantly a bad job of managing Aston Villa.

Whilst McLeish has been poor I also worry that there is something more rotten within the squad that even a top class manager wouldnt be able to beat. Towards O'neills end there was a definite down turn in form and performances. Houllier came in and rightly or wrongly tried to change things and there was clear squad problems. Now McLeish is here and to me there seemed like a lack of passion on Saturday, something that I thought was one of the few things McLeish had managed to bring back. Only when Petrov came on did there seem to be more drive and determination.

He spoke of great things, and an exciting attacking game

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2379458,00.html

:lol:

Good find, I also remember feed back on from the meeting on here from fans who attended, and they were generally positive about what he said. I think that McLeish knows how to talk a good game, just not how to play it.

Whilst McLeish has been poor I also worry that there is something more rotten within the squad that even a top class manager wouldnt be able to beat. Towards O'neills end there was a definite down turn in form and performances. Houllier came in and rightly or wrongly tried to change things and there was clear squad problems. Now McLeish is here and to me there seemed like a lack of passion on Saturday, something that I thought was one of the few things McLeish had managed to bring back. Only when Petrov came on did there seem to be more drive and determination.

You say that as if its some form of revelation Houlston?

Some were saying that weeks if not months ago and you were one of those arguing. Although I am glad you finally see the folly of this appointment for what it was, I am amazed it took so long.

The squad uprising was against Houllier due to the fact he removed the "cushty" training regime that ONeill had and made the buggers work for their money. People whinged about how he had unsettled the squad but it was needed.

McLeish was a dead man walking before the ink was dry on his contract, for all this "I will give him a chance malarky" he was never, ever going to be good enough. He is limited in his tactics, management skills and style and standing screaming at his own players just shows how poorly they were trained in the first place.

I just hope Randy has the balls to pull the trigger, on McLeish and Faulkner.

I have a sneaking feeling this is spot on. Anyone thinking that yet another change of manager would solve our problems is in for a disappointment. There is something wrong with that squad in terms of basic attitude and motivation and I suspect the root of the problem lies somewhere in the defence.

I don't see anything to suggest that McLeish would be a good appointment given time.

I was one of the ones who didn't want him but was more than willng to give him time. I wiped the slate clean, and he impressed me at first, in what he said rather than what was on the pitch.

But there's nothing there, if that makese sense.

There's no little inkling of anythign that could grow into somethign good.

There's no underlying system that makes me think "I can see what he's trying to do here". There nothign to suggest that he's got somethign in mind and given the right players it will eventually work.

Normally with a manager you can see what they are trying to do, even if they don't have the right resources, players, backing, whatever.

Even with Houllier. I know a lot of people didn't like him, but at least there was a style of football there that made you think if he had loads of time to bed it in and the right players it could work (even though the appauling defence was probably a price too high to pay)

At least you got the impression, or at least I did, that Houllier in his head knew what he wanted.

I don't get that with mcLeish. I think if he's backed he'll just buy players and hope they fall into a team. I just can't see anythign on the pitch that points towards a style of play that he can build a team around.

We still, 4 mnths into the season, look like a group of players thrown together for the first time and given no direction. Every week the formation is different, every week the positions are different. Nothing seems to be coming together, nothign seems to be heading in any particular direction.

Direction is the key word, and there isn't any. I honestly think if he's here for 2 or 3 years, we'll still be playing the same misguided, unattractive, and unsuccessful football we are now. Backing or no backing.

You say that as if its some form of revelation Houlston?.

No I dont I say it as a form of discussion as in fact Briny has responded but thanks for your input.

McLeish was a dead man walking before the ink was dry on his contract.

Is that also a revelation?

Â